ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie Pics

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
So I got myself a Newbie DSLR a few weeks ago just been playing around with it, I need a tripod I think because alot of my pics come out blurry :(

These are probably the best ones iv taken but compared to some they still suck :(

8661864066_6ee24b22c7_c.jpg

8661859576_7d861f0566_c.png

8660756423_3b3f7b7e50_c.png

8660750501_3bea1d6801_c.png

8661845930_ab7884948a_c.png

Anyway opinions and criticism please.. Also I dont have Photoshop atm so these are all unedited!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
They look like fairly normal beginner images tbh, I’d try some other subjects like landscapes and cars too, they’re easier for a beginner to get right, pets are really tricky to get good photos of lol, they never stop moving.

Also, a fast 50 would suit these type of images, so ie. 50mm F1.8, keep practising anyway and get the camera into manual if you haven’t already :)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Yeah tried manual but i think im going to need a tripod because if i change the iso to 100 or something the pics come out blurry.. So going to pick up a cheap tripod and see what i can do with that...

The flower pic- the main flower is quite sharp but as you go out further from it seems to have alot of noise, what can cause that? Setting or the fact its just a cheap DSLR?

As above, haven't looked at all of them but the exif on the first was shot at 1/13 and iso 3200 - which explains any blurriness. But at that size, the first image is great IMO!!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
In all honesty i have no clue what im doing.. Ideally i could do with someone that knows what they are doing showinf me the ropes :eek:

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Blurriness will be solely down to the shutter speed, anything under 1/60th handheld and even over this can be blurry at times, it isn't anything to do with the ISO. That's the problem when indoors with a kit lens, they just don't let enough light in, a 50mm F1.8 would be ideal for that, it'd let a lot more light in and blur the background nicely.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Best advice mark, read the stickies at the top mate! They'll really help!

What Niall has said is great advice. 1/60 as a minimum for hand held shooting is a good guide.

High Iso on a (relatively) cheap body will cause "noise" which will also reduce image quality.

If the lens won't allow you to shoot what you want then you can adjust the conditions. I.E. You can try shooting with flash, try increasing ambient lighting etc...

For portraits (or dogs) lol, I find indoors a flash bounced off a wall or ceiling is the nicest way to spread light. Direct flashes normally look a tad harsh to me, and it's not pleasant for the subject for any prolonged periods.

Last edited:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Thanks chaps, will see about getting another lens as im just rocking the lens that cane with the camera 18-35 iirc

Il try a few other things when i get time, the dogs were there at the time so seemed like a good idea at the time as they dont move if told not to haha

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Mark, pick yourself up a 50mm f1.8

Lovely sharp lense, with cracking short DOF. Can make some beginners images look crisp, sharp, and just plain lovely.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Read the stickies.

VERY IMPORTANT: Composition & rule of thirds. Once you've got these nailed, learn how to break them (the rules).

Don't shoot in full manual - a lot of people try to 'because they can' but in the end, they don't know what they're doing so it's utterly pointless. Shoot in Aperture Priority mode (Av on Canon) and let the camera do the rest.

Leave the full links to your Flickr so I can stalk you rather than just the image tags ;)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Looks like i have some reading to do :eek:

Il keep the links in te pics once i get better :rasp: