ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie (well kinda)

172 monaco blue
evening all. My names Craig and im a new member. ( I used to be a member some 13 years ago )

I just wanted to pop on and say im glad to be back in the fold.

I have recently purchased a clio 172 in Monaco blue. 98000 miles all original car on a 53 plate.

The car is going to be used for rally cross or auto cross and possibly for grass tracking but im not 100% which route I will be taking as yet.
I say that as its my first venture into motorsports and im doing it on the cheap as im not a rich man. I just really want to do it!

Im after a little info regarding a few minor things and ill happily post separate threads if required but I figure I should mention it here now first and see where we go from there.

My background is on vehicles but I do more with construction equipment and really only work on my own and friends' cars so although yes im a good mechanic I tend to know my limits with modern cars ie what jobs to take on and what not to since im not at work in a workshop. I have my own diagnostics laptop and ive got that Delphi DS150e. I got it for heavy duty but it also came with a full car diag suite so I do use it regularly and I have done quite a bit of diagnostics in my time and know how things work etc.
I also have in my possession a KWP2000+ ECU flasher which I once tried to read an ECU on a 106 quicksilver for my little brother with. Sadly the Siemens or Sagem ECU on that car was not compatible with the KWP2000+ so it never went any further as the disc and its contents that came with the flasher were all in German and I couldn't figure it out really. I got a program up eventually but as said it didn't have the ecu of the car I wanted so it went no further. Even if it had read it, I wouldn't have been able to manipulate it with what I got and the x thousand remap files for it were also listed strangely (file name and type) so I don't think id have dared flash onto the ECU without knowing exactly that I had what I needed and it was as we desired in terms of mapping.
All that aside it brings me to the little Clio. I got a code driving it home for the throttle body. I don't remember the code exactly but im led to believe its a common thing on them so if anyone knows of a good company to get one for the right price or somewhere that can repair one like mail order exchange then please. let me know.
Secondly I get a bit of a miss at over 6000 revs. or at least it feels like a bit of a miss. Ive had a look at the plugs and theyre not old. like done 6000 since service according to the recipit and from looking at them id say that was right. I did find one of the wires going to injector 4 (rhs) was de sheathed from the back of the plug for around 30mm. I tested from the plug to the edge of the sheath and the wire has continuity but I feel that might be the culprit and a small section of loom and an injector plug is going to be needed to splice in. Im not sure. The injection light flickers as it does it but not always and im yet to read a code for anything other that the throttle body.

So now onto my main question. Since im trying to keep costs to an absolute minimum id like to know if the KWP2000+ flasher will be able to read and write the ecu on the 172? if it can which program do I need for it? Also where do I purchase a map to flash on from?
My intention is to put on a 2nd hand stainless cat back I got on ebay for £60 and luckily there is a panel filter in the airbox from a previous owner and map it up to suit. Id also like the rev limit higher as 7k is a bit low for track use. Tyres ill spec when I decide exactly what ill be doing with it and a cage etc ill be doing myself so all in all it works out as properly budget motorsport.
Id also be a willing beggar of someones Map on their car.. ie let me copy it and flash my ecu with it.
If I can get some help on here id happily put the club stickers on the car too.

Thanks everyone and hello