ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newzbin found guilty

Citroen DS3 DSport
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/30/usenet_search_engine/

Newzbin, a website which indexed Usenet files, but did not host them, has been found liable for copyright infringement by the High Court of Justice in London .
Newzbin was a members-only website and had turnover of more than £1m in 2009. It provided members with a search engine for Usenet groups. Precise terms of the judgement are still to be decided, but the site is unlikely to continue in its current form.

The Motion Picture Association, which brought the case, welcomed the verdict and said it helped clarify European law on "internet intermediaries".

Newzbin was less impressed but glad the MPA did not win the full injunction it was seeking.
Newzbin said:
We are very disappointed with the judgment. Regrettably the court has accepted the distorted and flawed evidence that Hollywood presented. Contrary to the finding of the court our site has not deliberately sought to index infringing material, nor to assist those of our users who use it for that purpose. The site provides a generalised search facility for binary content found on Usenet and not just infringing material. Any of the material we index can be found on any one of thousands of sites on the Internet so pursuit of us is a futile waste of everyones time and money."​
Newzbin called on the MPA to address its broken business model instead of lobbying for restrictive laws like the Digital Enterprise Bill.
A spokeswoman for the MPA said it was not about to go to war with search engines like Google. She said: "It has taken eight months to get this to court. It was about how the search results were presented. The next step is not decided yet."
She said: "This verdict confirms that such websites have a duty of care to prevent the availability of illegal content on their websites."
The Federation Against Copyright Theft is taking action against streaming site Surf the Channel later in the year.
The judge, Mr Justice Kitchin, rejected the defendant's claims that the site was mainly used to search for Usenet discussions rather than binary content.
The full judgement is available here. ®

What cracks me up is that these companies presume that every download is lost revenue. They fail to realise that most people wouldn't buy half their s**t films in the first place. If BillyBob downloads *** Sigs are not allowed on ClioSport.net. You have been warned ***'s Anal Adventures 3, it's probably not a film he would have otherwise purchased. I'm quite a heavy user, and yet I have dozens of Blu-rays and literally 400 DVDs. Usenet has never changed my purchasing habits.

Saying that, it does of course cost them money, but as Newzbin rightly point out, there are plenty of other places where downloaders can get their nzb files from. Pointless exercise and will have little or no impact.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/30/usenet_search_engine/

Newzbin, a website which indexed Usenet files, but did not host them, has been found liable for copyright infringement by the High Court of Justice in London .
Newzbin was a members-only website and had turnover of more than £1m in 2009. It provided members with a search engine for Usenet groups. Precise terms of the judgement are still to be decided, but the site is unlikely to continue in its current form.

The Motion Picture Association, which brought the case, welcomed the verdict and said it helped clarify European law on "internet intermediaries".

Newzbin was less impressed but glad the MPA did not win the full injunction it was seeking.
Newzbin said:
We are very disappointed with the judgment. Regrettably the court has accepted the distorted and flawed evidence that Hollywood presented. Contrary to the finding of the court our site has not deliberately sought to index infringing material, nor to assist those of our users who use it for that purpose. The site provides a generalised search facility for binary content found on Usenet and not just infringing material. Any of the material we index can be found on any one of thousands of sites on the Internet so pursuit of us is a futile waste of everyones time and money."​
Newzbin called on the MPA to address its broken business model instead of lobbying for restrictive laws like the Digital Enterprise Bill.
A spokeswoman for the MPA said it was not about to go to war with search engines like Google. She said: "It has taken eight months to get this to court. It was about how the search results were presented. The next step is not decided yet."
She said: "This verdict confirms that such websites have a duty of care to prevent the availability of illegal content on their websites."
The Federation Against Copyright Theft is taking action against streaming site Surf the Channel later in the year.
The judge, Mr Justice Kitchin, rejected the defendant's claims that the site was mainly used to search for Usenet discussions rather than binary content.
The full judgement is available here. ®

No s**t! They've got no hope against Google with all the power they have so they take on the smaller guys who don't earn billions and can't afford the best legal team in the world.

Same here pretty much. The type of people who habitually download all the latest movies are probably not the kind who would otherwise have a 200 strong Blu-ray collection. The piracy issue is never as clear cut as the studios would like us to believe. IMO.

It's still stolen copyright, but not so much about lost revenue per se.

Well TDK was the biggest downloaded film and at the time was the largest grossing film.

Look how many people went to see Avatar. The film industry is alive and well and like you say, every downloaded film doesn't equal a lost sale.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a vast number of DVDs/games/bloorays, plus I go to the cinema and rent stuff on the odd occasion

I don't think I'm killing the movie industry, some how :p

DMS

A thirsty 172
Nothing beats going to the cinema to watch a new film on a huge screen with a box of popcorn and a bucket of fizzy beverage. I'd rather make use of Orange Wednesdays and spend £8 or so on a couple of cinema tickets and watch a film in awesome quality with awesome sound than download a s**tty telesync and watch it on a 15" computer screen, only to see some fat c**t getting up to go for a piss every 2 minutes.
I admit, I sometimes download movies illegally and store them but if it's something I truely enjoy I will always buy it. I have both Transformers films on Blu-Ray for example, but I'm happy with my dodgy Pirates Of The Carribbean MKV's because they're not the sort of thing I'll watch over and over again. I'll get my Keira Knightley fix elsewhere TYVM.
I think the whole lawsuit is based on greed. The movie industry makes plenty of money - more than enough in fact. They're just not happy they aren't making even more. The biggest actors are getting what? 15m per film? So how can they say they're not making money if they can afford to pay that much?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
so what is actually going to happen then? i use them and matrix too. i go to the cinema at the very least once a week, have about 400 dvds, not going to rebuy on bluray though.

Nothing beats going to the cinema to watch a new film on a huge screen with a box of popcorn and a bucket of fizzy beverage. I'd rather make use of Orange Wednesdays and spend £8 or so on a couple of cinema tickets and watch a film in awesome quality with awesome sound than download a s**tty telesync and watch it on a 15" computer screen, only to see some fat c**t getting up to go for a piss every 2 minutes.
I admit, I sometimes download movies illegally and store them but if it's something I truely enjoy I will always buy it. I have both Transformers films on Blu-Ray for example, but I'm happy with my dodgy Pirates Of The Carribbean MKV's because they're not the sort of thing I'll watch over and over again. I'll get my Keira Knightley fix elsewhere TYVM.
I think the whole lawsuit is based on greed. The movie industry makes plenty of money - more than enough in fact. They're just not happy they aren't making even more. The biggest actors are getting what? 15m per film? So how can they say they're not making money if they can afford to pay that much?

trouble is alot of the cinemas in the uk have little to no investment in the equipment and the seats
in the vue in york watching a film for me is really a rather unpleasant experience. infact i had a better time on the plane the other week i had more legroom anyway !! add to that the fact the screens are filthy the projectors are old the alignment is way off so it ends up projecting off the top or bottom of the screen and the sound is seriously outdated.

vue in hull though premier seating/ sofas and bean bags in some screens teh others all have standard with more legroom or prmier with better seats and even more room

new screens digital projectors and latest sound processing played at a decent volume

best cinema ever though was teh paragon cineplex in bangkok that was amazing i couldnt even touch the seat infront !

E87 118d M Sport
ive often downloaded a film cuz not sure about it, and after ive seen it, gone out and bought the blu-ray for the repeatability of it.

would i of bought the blu-ray if i hadnt watched the illegal copy first, NO.

DMS

A thirsty 172
trouble is alot of the cinemas in the uk have little to no investment in the equipment and the seats
in the vue in york watching a film for me is really a rather unpleasant experience. infact i had a better time on the plane the other week i had more legroom anyway !! add to that the fact the screens are filthy the projectors are old the alignment is way off so it ends up projecting off the top or bottom of the screen and the sound is seriously outdated.

vue in hull though premier seating/ sofas and bean bags in some screens teh others all have standard with more legroom or prmier with better seats and even more room

new screens digital projectors and latest sound processing played at a decent volume

best cinema ever though was teh paragon cineplex in bangkok that was amazing i couldnt even touch the seat infront !

All the cinemas round here are generally pretty good. I always pay for the premier seating so I get more leg room but other than that I can't fault them. The Odeon in Mansfield and all the cinemas in Nottingham are pretty faultless IMO.
That said, the Scalar in Ilkeston is shocking. It's about as big as an airing cupboard, they do crap popcorn and it's always full of the local hoody brigade - hence why I don't bother going there.

ive often downloaded a film cuz not sure about it, and after ive seen it, gone out and bought the blu-ray for the repeatability of it.

would i of bought the blu-ray if i hadnt watched the illegal copy first, NO.

Good point. I've often done the same.

Never been that impressed with most cinemas TBH. I prefer my own sound system, I can stretch out and have as many piss breaks as I like, and I have a beer fridge next to the sofa. Win.

Revels Mum & Sister
I expect they will be around for a little longer! Not going to dissapear over night. Someone will take their place. It would take a lot of time/money & effort to shut down EVERY NZB indexing Illegal downloads.

Well it doesn't look like any new reports are going up for TV shows. I've had to resort to using NZBMatrix which sucks in comparison.

PMSL at all registrations now enabled. POW!

They are bound to come back in way or another and will then have masses more users than before. Self headshot MPAA.

Actually getting on really well with NZBMatrix. It's not as easy to use with SABnzbd+ in Mac OSX, but it works just fine and everything appears to be there. I'm happy to stick with this until Newzbin get back on their feet.

Yeah NZBMatrix isn't so bad, i visit united-forums aswel. You gotta say thanks very much when you grab the nzb so it reveals the password.

Can't see myself using newzbin atm either, they're moderating every file been upped checking for any copyright breach's etc... And everything is lol

Got 47 days credit with newzbin left too! :mad:

SLK 350
I do love all this 'I'd have bought it anyway, I'm not guilty... it's the film industries loss' talk, chuckle chuckle. While it's true that it doesn't equate to a loss 1:1, of course it affects revenue - retailers, rentals and cinema for non-blockbusters all get hit I expect.

They need to take a hint from torrent and news groups though. If they provide good infrastructure, quality downloads, zero DRM and at a low cost, or an innovative 'pay after you watch' along the lines of Radiohead's 'In Rinbows' release framework [which made them a sh@tload], but without the need for iTunes.

It's a big scalp against a technology I didn't realise was being pursued, though bank rolling a million pounds last year... that's a lot of cashola.

Personally, I use Lovefilm, and download TV via torrent.

Saying that, it does of course cost them money...

I do love all this 'I'd have bought it anyway, I'm not guilty... it's the film industries loss' talk, chuckle chuckle. While it's true that it doesn't equate to a loss 1:1, of course it affects revenue.

I do love all this 'get to one line in one post and then hit reply without continuing to read' talk. Chortle Chortle.

Arguing with yourself FTL.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Actually getting on really well with NZBMatrix. It's not as easy to use with SABnzbd+ in Mac OSX, but it works just fine and everything appears to be there. I'm happy to stick with this until Newzbin get back on their feet.

That's the same method as I am using and it's fairly easy to download by opening the nzb zip file in SABnzbd+ rather than simply copy and paste a ID number from Newzbin.

I don't want to use torrents as they can be easily logged by your ISP and knowing my luck I'd get a lovely threatening letter through the post one day. Plus with newsgroups I'm not having to share the files which removes one line of prosecution against me.

SLK 350
I do love all this 'get to one line in one post and then hit reply without continuing to read' talk. Chortle Chortle.

Arguing with yourself FTL.

I read your contradiction prior to posting you plum, but you're not the only one making 'I'm not guilty' comments. We're all guilty, just the MPAA fail to see how to convert people to doing it the 'right' way, in their eyes. It certainly isn't by a 6 month law suit on each and every site that springs up.

Compute?

Piracy used to just be about buying a dodgy copy down the market or whatever. It was a few quid and crap quality. But now with high speed connections and the obvious progress, you can have a high quality copy of them in a quicker time than it takes to go the shop.

The whole downloading thing needs to shape up. I rarely buy music, well I rarely get music to keep and pretty much exclusively use Spotify. Stream it and if I like it enough to want it in the car for my iPod/iPhone then I'll buy it from iTunes.

Movies need something similar. Lovefilm etc are good but I want things instantly and obviously as it's a physical product, they only have so many to go around so you might have to wait a week or whatever to get the film you want to see and inbetween you end up with average films because you need a full list.

I'd love to have Netflix or an iTunes subscription service. Stream whatever films you want for £20 a month. That would suit me perfectly. See something I want to see, bish bash bosh. It's started. Gone are the days of 14" CRT monitors taking up a desk. People have big monitors and media centres now.

I download films but I will also pay to rent and go to the cinema but most of what I download is tv shows. Not even sure what the legalities are with that. I've got Sky and pay for that. So if I download an episode of House that airs here, I'm guessing that's allowed? But not for ones only available in America?

E90
Thats why Glitter went to Vietnam.

I never download illegal shizzle anymore, I do occasionally stream a movie or watch the footy, is that still legal providing I'm not downloading?

It's illegal for someone to stream it themselves, that's why some of the feeds disappear.

Not sure on you actually watching it.

Streaming is downloading. It just means you can watch it while it downloads and usually aren't able to save it unless you know how.