ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Next time you are asked to shoot for free.......

Well maybe we can make these photography meets more regular, and in different places. I'm pretty central so can travel most places, if it's worth it ;)

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
i'll hold you to that!
The second my hand is out of this cast i'll be allowed to drive again woop!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i already have a 50mm and a 20mm so not sure, ive put a post in the photography picture thread.. maybe not the right place in here lol

Rally bus
It's funny in rallying, guys who run £150,000+ rally cars asking me for photos and then when I give them a price they say "oh no, we can't pay. We'll credit you on our site though..." I don't even bother with proofs now unless it's a regular customer as there are so many people supplying free photos. There's more money to be made doing weddings/portraits - more skill required and more confidence so not as many folk doing it for nowt.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
if you mess this up your going to upset an entire family....

Make that 2 families!

I have done 1 wedding for a mate and didn't charge anything as they are like family to me.

If I were to start doing for money, I would have to shadow a pro for several weddings 1st. The worry of f*cking up puts me off to just launch into it.

My mate who I went to Uni with is a pro wedding photographer and has made some good money from it, but has also had to sell his car at one point when no-one was getting married due to the recession.

This is his website: www.enlightweddingphotography.co.uk

....i got £50...voucher....

Lol at your time being valued at what probably worked out at about £2.50/h! No concept of the work that goes into it!

You're a lot better than a lot of the people who do it for a living and charge a lot of money.

Can't echo that enough Dan.

I'd love to be a second photographer for a really experienced person, you'd learn A LOT doing that.

Not on the same scale as I've only been camera wielding for a very short time but when the GF's sister got married, I learned so much in half a day from following the wedding photographer around it was unreal. Obviously everything I picked up is childs play for the majority of you guys and I was still learning my way around the camera. But I honestly don't think any amount of "tuition" or lessons could have taught me as much as shooting the event itself.

The main thing with wedding photography is....I've learnt everything I know from myself ie. just going out there and trying new things, getting it wrong, trying again etc. No-one has ever taught me anything about photography, I've picked a few tips up from magazines/internet. But both are nothing compared to having an experienced 'pro' show you in person.

That's why Id love to follow a pro around a wedding. Especially watching how he sets up off camera flashes, that's what I struggle the most on.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
This is a huge problem in most digital industries. I did a Degree in Digital multi media and business computing, basically I studied all forms of digital product you can sell. But in most forms non of it is physical. So people do expect it for free.

Togs get s**t on, programmers get s**t on and designers get s**t on.

If you are freelance in any part of the digital industry its very dangerous.

In uni we would be hammered with requested to do work where the client would expect it to be free but then we would invoice them and get a nasty phone call days later.
We once built a website for a country park type place. full process start to finish. 5 sample products built then the final site with 100% original images, logo design, database back with independent server. they stated at the start of the process they had a £15k quote from a corporation with stock images but they couldn't stretch to that we invoiced them at £2k. They never paid. We waited for the hits to start and roll in to the site, dropped the site and remain legal owner of the URL. :).

For this reason, I work in retail management.