ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nightmare spark plug issue

Mk2 Ph1 Clio Sport 1.4
Argh, what a nightmare few weeks I've had with my clio. The car is a mk2ph1 clio 1.4 8v. On the way to work the other morning, everything was normal with the car, was running absolutely fine.

I was cruising along in 5th at the NSL, and came to a reasonable hill with quite tight corners, so I slow down and knock the car into 4th to help me get up. There is a lack of power, i put my foot down but the engine feels like it is hesitating, or holding back, as if I had put it into too high a gear. So i try into third, and the same thing happens. I manage to get up the fairly short hill, or most of the way up, before I hear a slight bang, and then some nasty sounding noises.

My CV joint is on the way out, so, thinking it is that which has gone, clutch goes in, I slow it down a bit, but keep it rolling as it is in a very dodgy place to stop. Coast for a little while until it is safe to pull over, and do so, when I realise the noise is not anything like a driveshaft gone, it is my engine, now sounding like a tractor. i switched the engine off to look for anything very obvious, and lo and behold, one of the spark plugs is out of the cylinder. Now the strange thing is, I know they can blow out of the cylinder head in one piece if they are cross threaded or badly put in, and tear out the thread on the head, but this was completely different.

The spark plug had completely split in two pieces, not snapped, just detatched. The ceramic part with electrode in was all still in one piece, stuck still in the HT lead. The metal part, with the thread on it, I could still see, securely screwed into the head. The cap in the HT lead which goes over the spark plug was split, and had some of the plastic missing. i went to get a new spark plug and HT lead to try and fix by the roadside, but nowhere close had the right HT lead in stock, so I towed it to a garage. Have spoken to a few mechanics, and only one has ever heard of this happening.

So, any ideas what has happened here? And any ideas how it can be fixed, will it just be a case of new spark plug and HT lead and it will run, or has some other problem caused this? Hopefully, as the spark plug seperated but stayed in tact, there is nothing that has gone into the bore of the cylinder to cause problems? At the moment i'm just thinking a very dodgy spark plug. Oh, plugs were changed around 1000-2000 miles ago, and are genuine Bosch plugs.

Thanks a lot.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
As long as there are no bits dropped down into the cylinder and the thread for the spark plug isn't damaged you should be fine. The only thing i can think is if you've not put the plug in properly and the pressure has blew it out.

Mk2 Ph1 Clio Sport 1.4
Yeah it doesn't look like there could be anything down in the cylinder, as I say the spark plug is perfectly in tact, just seperated into two pieces. I did think about it maybe being put in badly, but surely if this was the case, the whole plug would have blown out, not just seperated. There must have had to have been some fault with plug for it to seperate like that, surely?

Could've overtightened the plug in, there not sposed to be mega tight, 30nm ish. You managed to get the threaded part out?

Skoda Fabia vRS
where did you buy the plugs ?

i once bought Bosch plugs on Ebay and before my mechanic went to fit them he checked them and found they were badly made so gave them back to me, they were all sealed up and looked legit when i bought them, i hadnt noticed the electrodes were all wrong

Mk2 Ph1 Clio Sport 1.4
the plugs were from euro car parts, so a legit source, but they will definately be getting returned when the garage get the old plug out. The car is at the garage now, so they are gonna be dealing with getting the threaded part out. I put the plugs in myself, and I used the old trick of a length of rubber tube over the end of the spark plug and use this to get it back on without cross threading it. i got them as tight as I could using that, so not all that tight, and didn't tighten them any more with a wrench or anything. I could understand if they were too loose and the whole plug shoot out, but I really can't see them being too tight, especially compared to the previous ones that were in there, took me ages to get the damn things out! I'm going to get the garage to torque up all the spark plugs now for my piece of mind, though, is 30nm the correct setting for them?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i had to drill a plug out once on a 1.1 fiesta, the amount of filing that went into the bore was funny, started it up, bits of metal flew out of the exhaust, then it ran sweet! v lucky