ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon 5100

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I feel an impulsive purchase coming on...

Been searching for an upgrade to the trusty old D40 for a while now, and it's always been between the D90 and D7000 for me.

However, after looking into the D5100 this morning, it seems to be a decent compromise. It's a good £250 cheaper than the D7000 and seems to retain 90% of the features and unlike the D90 (which I'm sure is a brilliant camera, but it's getting on a bit), it shoots video at 1080p. I've been looking for an excuse to get back into shooting video's (I used to do a lot of it when I was younger), and the 5100 seems to be that excuse.

Question is, is there any reason for me to be not be clicking pay on Amazon right now? Anyone tried one out yet? Worthy upgrade to the D40?

Cheers,
Luke.

Golf GTD Mk7
no, but as a base model it's good.

Back on topic though ;), if you type it into google i'm sure you can find it cheaper than Amazon.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I <3 my d40 tbh, taken some awesome images with it (IMO :eek:) over the past few years. Just think it's getting a bit long in the tooth now, especially it's ISO handling capabilities - or lack of.

Jonny, my current lens' consist of 18-55, 55-200 and 50mm f/1.8. Unfortunately, the 5100 STILL doesn't have an inbuilt focus thingymajig. After thinking about it though, I really don't mind too much. I use my 50mm a lot, and have got used to having to focus manually. I also find (some will disagree with this) that at F/1.8, manual focus can be incredibly useful due to the narrow DOF. Couple this with the fact that the d5100 has live view, I really don't think it will pose too much of a problem.

Amazon is the cheapest I've found on Camerapricebuster (£533), but if anyone can find it cheaper please feel free to post a link ;)

Golf GTD Mk7
Depending how serious you want to get with photography, would it not be better getting a body that has a build in motor? Only really for the fact that most of the lenses are cheaper by comparison.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
why not save a few hundred, and get the 3100?

Just running up a comparison of the two now mate, the 5100 seems to have far better technical features, whereas the pros for the 3100 are mainly that it's lighter and smaller...

Fiesta ST-3
I don't know much about the D5100 but I love me 5000. The D3100 is utter tripe and is an entry level DSLR with a 'how to use' mode.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Depending how serious you want to get with photography, would it not be better getting a body that has a build in motor? Only really for the fact that most of the lenses are cheaper by comparison.

It does make a lot more sense mate, I agree. However, the only two that I can really find are the D90 (older, 720p) and D7000 (pricey, same image quality as the D5100, apparently). If anyone can find an alternative body for around £500 with a built in motor and 1080p HD, I'll buy it!

On a second note, anyone know how much a second hand D40 body will fetch on the bay of E? Seen a few up for £170ish, but I think that seems a little steep? I was thinking of selling it for around £100...

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I don't know much about the D5100 but I love me 5000. The D3100 is utter tripe and is an entry level DSLR with a 'how to use' mode.

Confirmed my thoughts, Scott! Cheers.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Does it have to be a Nikon?

Ideally mate, yes. Without trying to start a fanboy war, I just prefer them. Plus I cba looking for new lenses and selling all of my old ones - hassle!

On a second note, anyone know how much a second hand D40 body will fetch on the bay of E? Seen a few up for £170ish, but I think that seems a little steep? I was thinking of selling it for around £100...

Would have thought for a hundred quid it would shift even on here in no time. Second hand kit lens on the bay and someone has got a tidy DSLR starter package for potentially £150ish all in?!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Manual focus mate - I'm used to that when shooting video anyway.

Everyone I've spoke to that's used DSLR's with auto focusing with video (D7000, for example) has been less that impressed anyway, plus since the camera is constantly focusing it makes a f**king racket!

Wick said:
Would have thought for a hundred quid it would shift even on here in no time. Second hand kit lens on the bay and someone has got a tidy DSLR starter package for potentially £150ish all in?!

I'd hope so mate! It's a good camera, I'd almost be tempted to keep it as a back up.

Golf GTD Mk7
Does it have to be a Nikon?

why would he down grade ;)

D7000 is only a few hundred more than the 5100 mate. If you're looking to upgrade lenses i'm sure you'll save that by not having to buy a motor lens. Photography is far too easy to spend dolla :(

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I may have sort of, a little bit, accidently bought it.

Impulse buys FTW?

:D

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Just payed £540ish mate. Next day delivery too, proper excited! LOL!

Not telling the OH, I'm meant to be paying off a holiday this month as well as car insurance in August. FML indeed!

275 Trophy
It's always said that if you want to shoot video, buy a proper video camera. Just a gimick really in SLRs. Sounds like it's too late now, but why not buy a new lens for your existing camera if money is burning a hole?

It's always said that if you want to shoot video, buy a proper video camera. Just a gimick really in SLRs. Sounds like it's too late now, but why not buy a new lens for your existing camera if money is burning a hole?

It's not a gimmick at all.

Considering House is one of the biggest shows in America with Huge Laurie getting paid $350k per episode and they filmed a whole episode on an SLR in a previous series.

It's not like using a camera phone.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I don't think it's a gimmick at all tbh. SLR's are revolutionising the way video is shot. Until a few years back (when the d90 was launched iirc), the only way videographers were able to create images with such a shallow DOF was to buy a ridiculously expensive (not to mention massive) video camera; even the Pd170's that I used to use couldn't produce the same IQ that a modern SLR can. And they're 2.5k+.

If you want to shoot flowing, continuous video for family holidays, etc - it makes sense to buy a handheld video camera. But they cannot reproduce the kind of images that an SLR can due to the larger sensor (iirc).

Edit: Hi Dan.

It's not a gimmick at all.

Considering House is one of the biggest shows in America with Huge Laurie getting paid $350k per episode and they filmed a whole episode on an SLR in a previous series.

It's not like using a camera phone.

The likes of Stephen Brooks who's responsible for some of the best videos I've posted in the media section and countless other indie film makers using 5D's and 7D's to shoot goes to back that up too.

Nissan Canada also felt it was good enough to shoot a large bulk of this using one too...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Stephen Brooks' stuff is brilliant.

Will hopefully have a couple of example video's up this weekend at some point - time do dust off the old editing software :D

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
It was your bloody sample video that made me buy one :eek:

I've wanted a new camera for ages tbh, just been putting it off. Already looking at adjustable ND filters...

Golf GTD Mk7
The ony thing that put me off the 5100 was it having the same lens limitations as the D40. Ended up spending the camera money on car bits anyway :eek:

That's the only downside IMO. Good camera. I'd have saved a little more and got the d7000 but hey. Impulse or not it's a great bit of kit

57 Clio Campus Sport
I was looking at this along with the D90 and went for the D90.

Although it's getting on a bit there didn't seem to be a massive jump quality wise for photos. D90 has larger viewfinder, built in focus motor, pentaprism instead of pentamirror, less shutter lag, longer battery life.

The 5100 owns the D90 video wise but I have no interest in recording video with the camera. iPhone is more than good enough with the next one likely to feature 1080p and I have that in my pocket ALL the time.

I couldn't justify the extra money for the D7000, the added features would have been lost on me for now.

Having said all that, video was a big thing for you so I think you made the right choice :)

Last edited: