ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D750 - simply outstanding!

So had my D600 for 18 months or so now and its now been upgraded to the D750.

Everything about it just feels such an improvement on the D600. Main features that have stood out:

1. Low light auto focus... wow, this thing can literally focus in the dark, its outstanding
2. The grip. Possibly the most comfortable grip on any Nikon - new design, its a great upgrade on the D600
3. Focus speed is so quick - fps is up to 6.
4. Lighter than the D600
5. ISO performance in unreal

The reviews have it on par with D810 quality with just less MP. Its amazing how they have made an FX camera this small yet so comfortable and feature packed. Thinking about getting one - get one!

Lenses I'm still deciding what to sell/keep/buy. The 50mm is stuck on it right now, but I have the 28-70 f2.8 and 24-120 F4 VR and I don't need both. Tamron is light and f2.8, but the Nikon is longer and constant F4 is pretty decent considering ISO performance.

Or sell both zooms and get a couple more primes. So many decisions to make!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Good thread @JJ! Ok Guys, I will add my opinions/reviews on why the d750 kicks ass, even against my D4's.

So I have owned the D750 for around a month now, I bought it as a back up camera after bouncing one of d4's along the floor like basketball. Originally I was going to buy a D700, play it safe but the Mrs persuaded me to buy a newer one, so glad I did. The D700 wouldn't have been half as capable as the D750 even with the right glass.

The first thing that struck me was the size, its smaller than the D800/D300 (Which I have previously owned) and lighter. Compared to the D4 its like a little toy, but still very comfy and ergonomic to use and all of the buttons are easy to get to manoeuvre. One huge bonus for me was the tilting screen, yes a bit of a gimmick and the first time anyone has put one on a full frame camera, but the time it saves and also my the amount it has already saved my back is unreal. I shoot a lot in live view so this feature is fantastic.

When using the camera the metering and AF system are very similar to the D4 and very accurate, I shoot single point auto focus a lot of the time and sometimes manual focus when required. I cannot fault it, live view is a little slower then the D4 but one hell of a lot quicker than any of the D8** range of cameras.

The sensor they have packed inside the D750 is possibly one of the best sensors ever to be fitted in to a Nikon FF camera. The dynamic range of this sensor is incredible, you can pull up images from complete darkness in to useable photos with stunning shadows and highlights. Also in my opinion it is just the right amount of MP to pick up on enough detail but not sacrifice the ISO handling. I have used this camera upwards of ISO 6400 and not had to worry in the slightest.

Packed in to this little camera are also some awesome other little features, the wifi to your phone feature is great and perfect if you have it setup a few feet away from you as a second camera or fancy taking a selfie. Two SD slots are great meaning you don't need a mix of CF & SD however I would have preferred just CF. (D4's use CF so I have plenty of cards) but at least SD storage is cheap enough these days for 64 GB cards.

Even known the D750 is a smashing camera, it does have some downsides. I find the size great but after a while I find my hand aching because it can be quite cramped and grippy. I have lost two eye pieces so far and have had to glue the latest one in place, the lack of AF button on the back of the camera winds me up a little but not the end of the world and you can change the AE-L button to focus but it wouldn't have hurt to add one. Last of all the sigma Art lenses don't autofocus in Live view (ARGH!!!) I am sure a firmware update might fix this issue in the next 10 years knowing Nikon. Last of all the shutter maxes out at 1/4000 which is a pain in the arse as I shoot everything at f1.4-2.8 max 95% of the time so when I am shooting destination weddings abroad in bright sunlight the shutter isn't going to be fast enough. I guess at times like that I am fortunate enough to have the D4's.

I use mainly primes with this camera (Sigma 35 f1.4 / Nikon 85 f1.4 / Sigma 24mm f1.4 / Nikon 50mm Freelens / Nikon 16-35 F4) and they work so well on the front of it. I was looking to buy a travel camera (XT-1) but I really don't see the need anymore this camera is more than light enough to have over your shoulder even with a decent lens attached.

So to conclude my little opinionated mumble, the D750 is a cracking camera for the money and a another world above the D600/610 and a much more versatile camera than the D800. If you are looking to make the move to Nikon FF I would look at buying this camera without a shadow of a doubt, I shoot mainly weddings but this camera capable of just about any for of photography.

I hope the above makes sense, its late so my grammar is probably terrible.

TTRS & V50
To dig this up, it still seems to be doing pretty well. Still see comparisons vs D850.

Worth getting one 4 years after release? Can get a body for less than £900 now brand new. Not really seeing much else in the Nikon spectrum.

CC @JJ! @Matt_90

To dig this up, it still seems to be doing pretty well. Still see comparisons vs D850.

Worth getting one 4 years after release? Can get a body for less than £900 now brand new. Not really seeing much else in the Nikon spectrum.

CC @JJ! @Matt_90

I would say yes! It is still a great camera and a great price. I have just moved to Sony and will be selling off my Nikon gear, but it does not stop the D750 being an excellent bit of kit.