ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D40 or Canon 400D...?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Which is the best one for the money?

I've found the best deal on the Nikon is £267 with Nikon cashback and the best deal on the 400D is £350 with Canon cashback and a free 2GB memory card! Both free delivery!

Both pretty good prices but is the Canon worth the extra cash?

Revels Mum & Sister
To be honest it all boils down to which you find easiest to use. For me it was the Nikon. I dont think there is much at all to seperate the two.

Pop down to jessops and handle and play with both. Both take awesome pictures

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Cheers Rasclart.

I'm no pro like, but I just thought the deals were both pretty good, and it might be worth taking advantage of the free 2gb mem card offer (which expires in 1 week)

Revels Mum & Sister
I had a D40 only sold because I got a cracking deal on the D80.

Like I said I prefer the Nikon feel, generally feels better built IMO.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
i got the d40 a week ago great camera and got a 4G memory card of internet for £18 deliverd

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Think I will go for the D40 at that price!

Might wait till after xmas tho, just in case the girlfriend buys me one seen as I have been hinting for a while now lol!

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'd go 400d too, if only just so i can use the canon luxury lenses, they are sooooooo good!

Revels Mum & Sister
Knows it Ian

Also don forget than Nikon dont make ANY decent lenses either ;) They are all s**t.

if you are going for Canons top end lenses you are hardly going to mate it to an entry level SLR.

IMO get the Nikon plus with the change buy a Bag and a 50mm Prime lense. Or a gorilla pod, bag and memory card

111s
Been looking into this myself. I'm veering toward the canon after taking advice from someone in the know.
Something to do with the auto focus motor being built into the body on the canon whereas it is integrated into the lense on the nikkon. Thus making lenses (AF-s or AF-....) for the nikkon more expensive. (if you want the auto focus).

Make sense to anyone?

Revels Mum & Sister
Yep it does DARKO. Isnt so much on an issue as they are churning out more and more lenses with the motor in the bodys. Just means some of the older lenses are MF only.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
thats right. however, decent lens are expensive which ever you buy.

you can't go wrong with either nikon or canon, as said, its just which you prefer and which system you buy into.

dk

911 GTS Cab
hey maybe if u stopped buying expensive lens u could afford a house? ;)
damn right, hence why i haven't bought a new one for about a year now, too damned expensive but the one i have is perfect for most things i shoot anyway, just fancy one of those 50mm fixed lenses now to complete my collection.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've got a 400d sitting infront of me.

I don't like it, doesn't fit my hand very well. Then again I doubt I'll be buying an SLR in the near future so it doesn't matter anyway!

dk

911 GTS Cab
How many do you have?

I really need to learn what all the numbers mean! :eek:
very few, just the kit lense, then 70-200 F4.0 L lens which is fantastic. to fill in the gap i then have a second hand 28-80 off ebay, bit of a bargain at about £30.

I mainly use the kit and the L lens though, and you really can tell the difference between the L and non L lenses.

I'd like many more but i just can't afford them, i have a good range but like i said, i'd like the 50mm as its only about £50, might ask for it for Christmas.

172beast

My dads got the D40 yoth if you wanna pop round at weekend and have a look. Takes fantastic pics and is piece of piss to use!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
if we are talking lens quality nikon blows the s**t out of canon.... simply cos they have karl zeiss producing lenses for them which piss on canon L series!!!

so suk ya mum canon bitches :p

oh and just cos you have fancy l series glass it dont make u a good photographer... clart etc have been using the kit lenses they got with their d40's and have taken mint shots... proving u dont need stupid expensive lenses for bragging rights to take a good image...

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
hmmm...

very opinionated photography is, im a canon man myself.

L Lens = The Dogs

Karl Zeiss = Bit mainstream, eg... used in Nokia Phones. YUK!

Canon = The BEST!

2014 Focus Titanium
if we are talking lens quality nikon blows the s**t out of canon.... simply cos they have karl zeiss producing lenses for them which piss on canon L series!!!

R
O
F
L

Get the canon. 6mp or 10mp hmmmmmmm not a hard choice on that alone! The D40 is a decent camera but the 400D is better, its as plain as day. The D40X however is very similar to the 400d and its just preference of lenses which makes the choice for me, and also Canon's are better for high ISO shooting.

Canon L lenses are better quality than Nikon/Nikkor Lenses.

306 TD Slut
I have both canon 400d and Nikon, i must say that Nikon is a better build quality, but i always use the canon as its slightly smaller and lighter

dk

911 GTS Cab

so suk ya mum canon bitches :p

oh and just cos you have fancy l series glass it dont make u a good photographer... clart etc have been using the kit lenses they got with their d40's and have taken mint shots... proving u dont need stupid expensive lenses for bragging rights to take a good image...
at which point did i suggest i was a good photographer and make out that it was dowm to the L series?

I presume you mean me as i'm the only one to mention them.

The best picture i took was with the kit lens in the pooring rain and in the dark, sometimes photography can be right place right time, but i never said i was a good photographer!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Canon look better too IMO
i like the way my l series extends within the barrel and doesn't extend out the dront, plus the lens just feels good quality.

If most of the pro's use them then they are good enough for me!

2014 Focus Titanium
Canon look better too IMO
i like the way my l series extends within the barrel and doesn't extend out the dront, plus the lens just feels good quality.

If most of the pro's use them then they are good enough for me!

Exactly mate. At any night or indoor football/baseball/rugby/netball/whatever sport game you always see a sea of white lenses because canon are so good in low light and the lenses produce such great photos. Lets face it, with the climate of the UK I'm always using high ISO for shooting and the cameras like the D80 just wouldn't cut it.

Astra coupe

R
O
F
L

Get the canon. 6mp or 10mp hmmmmmmm not a hard choice on that alone! The D40 is a decent camera but the 400D is better, its as plain as day. The D40X however is very similar to the 400d and its just preference of lenses which makes the choice for me, and also Canon's are better for high ISO shooting.

Canon L lenses are better quality than Nikon/Nikkor Lenses.
It's not all MP though, I've shot with both D40 and D40X and to be fair you could only tell the difference when you blew the photos up to in excess of 30".

this is like CTR vs 172...

If you plan to shoot wide primes and want AF, the Canon hands down, it also has a bigger viewfinder (as far as I know) but I'm probably wrong on this, there both small!

flip a coin or something, can't be arsed with fanboyism today :p

p.s. canon ftw etc...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
hmmm...

L Lens = The Dogs

Canon = The BEST!

f**king LOL!!!

karl zeiss are hardly mainstream they are THE BEST lens producers in the world... so good they produce lenses for most of the biggest telescopes and satalites in the world nasa use them... just like nasa have signed a contract to use nikon and not canon lol....

nikon are simpler to use, they are built better (basic canons are made of plastic) nikons use magnesium bodies on the basic cameras, i use cameras every day for my work, i have used everything from 35mm film slr's to large format cameras, i have used digital 35mm slr's, digital medium formats etc, my favorite cameras to use are mamiya film medium formats, with film or a digital back, hassleblad digi medium formats are stunning and great to use but are very very difficult to use also...

if we are talking 35mm dslr's nikon is what i will pick up and use every single time... simply because they are easy to use and i know they are strong and reliable, canons have caused me nothing but hassle cos its all back to front and named stupid things like tv for shutter priority or whatever it is, where as nikon is just S...

also having to sod around changing the shutter and aperture on the canons well cheaper ones anyway, nikon has a wheel dedicated to shutter and one dedicated for aperture no matter what model, canon on the cheaper ones you have 1 wheel and have to press a button and then use the wheel to change the aperture... which means more time and taking the camera away from your face to find the stupid button, nikons you can do it all on the fly :)

my personal 35mm dslr is a nikon d2x which is the pro model, i have given it to people who just know how to use a basic camera and they can still shoot with it, and it will produce good images out the box... its a pro model that even people who dont know how to use a camera can use...

plus its strong as hell lol, and doesnt feel like fisherprice made it unlike most of canons range :p

and no i wasnt aiming my post at you dave it was just others saying canon make the best lenses lol... its down to preference however the whole photographic community say karl zeiss is the best lens manufacturer lol and they piss on canon lol ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
hmmm...

L Lens = The Dogs

Canon = The BEST!

f**king LOL!!!

karl zeiss are hardly mainstream they are THE BEST lens producers in the world... so good they produce lenses for most of the biggest telescopes and satalites in the world nasa use them... just like nasa have signed a contract to use nikon and not canon lol....

nikon are simpler to use, they are built better (basic canons are made of plastic) nikons use magnesium bodies on the basic cameras, i use cameras every day for my work, i have used everything from 35mm film slr's to large format cameras, i have used digital 35mm slr's, digital medium formats etc, my favorite cameras to use are mamiya film medium formats, with film or a digital back, hassleblad digi medium formats are stunning and great to use but are very very difficult to use also...

if we are talking 35mm dslr's nikon is what i will pick up and use every single time... simply because they are easy to use and i know they are strong and reliable, canons have caused me nothing but hassle cos its all back to front and named stupid things like tv for shutter priority or whatever it is, where as nikon is just S...

also having to sod around changing the shutter and aperture on the canons well cheaper ones anyway, nikon has a wheel dedicated to shutter and one dedicated for aperture no matter what model, canon on the cheaper ones you have 1 wheel and have to press a button and then use the wheel to change the aperture... which means more time and taking the camera away from your face to find the stupid button, nikons you can do it all on the fly :)

my personal 35mm dslr is a nikon d2x which is the pro model, i have given it to people who just know how to use a basic camera and they can still shoot with it, and it will produce good images out the box... its a pro model that even people who dont know how to use a camera can use...

plus its strong as hell lol, and doesnt feel like fisherprice made it unlike most of canons range :p

and no i wasnt aiming my post at you dave it was just others saying canon make the best lenses lol... its down to preference however the whole photographic community say karl zeiss is the best lens manufacturer lol and they piss on canon lol ;)
so what you are really saying is that you aren't clever enough to use a canon as they aren't built for children, (nikon being easy to understand and able to withstand being dropped by clumsy people) ;)

At the end of the day though we are comparing Mercedes to BMW's, not skoda to Ferrari, neither choice is a bad one, its just personal preference really.