ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

406 Coupe brake callipers with 172/182 discs

Clio
Good evening all.

So I've got my little old mk2 1.6 Clio (pre rear disc model) and as I'm not really using it much now I felt maybe use it for the odd track day and upgrade it on a budget for occasional track use.

Power wise these are nippy little things anyway and despite me port matching and cleaning up the inlet and exhaust tracts while the head is off (which I don't think will do an awful lot for it on the stock cams and ECU in any case but worth a go as it's 'free!) I decided the best way to make it quicker is to upgrade the brakes... and tyres and maybe some Eibach springs with some kyb or the like gas dampers. One thing at a time though!

I'm not to fussed about shedding the 172 wheels in the garage just yet as good tyres are relatively easy to compare and source.

So out of everything on that jumbled list above I thought the brakes would be a good move for an upgrade for now. The standard brakes aren't the worst but I suspect a few hard dives on the pedal will see the pedal get longer and longer lap after lap.

So it is with interest I found that with a little swimming pad and calliper wise that the Brembo 4 pots from a 406 V6 Coupe are a bolt on fitment and have been fitted by a few others in the past.

The only thing is I'm on a tight budget here and the going price for the callipers used is usually well over 500 notes. But I've also found out that the lesser Coupe models came with 280mm discs and regular sliding single piston callipers albeit with pistons around 9mm bigger in diameter which may require a bigger master cylinder though I can't think that in reality it would. The 4 pots from what I read do but the extra capacity of them will be far more than the slightly bigger single pot items.

So after all that waffle, my intention is to fit 280mm high carbon brake discs with the Peugeot single pots. The callipers I need are in themselves extremely cheap to buy as I believe they also appeared on some other 406s like the diesel estates.

This is of course assuming someone doesn't already do a spacer bracket to fit the 182 callipers to the non RS uprights!

Has anyone else done such a budget upgrade on their non RS Mk2 in the past maybe?!

Cheers!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Same calipers as r5gtt on non sport models iirc. Set of good pads ds1.11 and good fluid prob be ample for the power and lighter than the larger setup

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
As a above, standard setup is fine, the old 406/MK1 frs/fiat coupe turbo calipers weren't actually that great and are not as light as the 197 style ones. They do however just bolt straight onto your hub which is nice lol

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Good evening all.

So I've got my little old mk2 1.6 Clio (pre rear disc model) and as I'm not really using it much now I felt maybe use it for the odd track day and upgrade it on a budget for occasional track use.

Power wise these are nippy little things anyway and despite me port matching and cleaning up the inlet and exhaust tracts while the head is off (which I don't think will do an awful lot for it on the stock cams and ECU in any case but worth a go as it's 'free!) I decided the best way to make it quicker is to upgrade the brakes... and tyres and maybe some Eibach springs with some kyb or the like gas dampers. One thing at a time though!

I'm not to fussed about shedding the 172 wheels in the garage just yet as good tyres are relatively easy to compare and source.

So out of everything on that jumbled list above I thought the brakes would be a good move for an upgrade for now. The standard brakes aren't the worst but I suspect a few hard dives on the pedal will see the pedal get longer and longer lap after lap.

So it is with interest I found that with a little swimming pad and calliper wise that the Brembo 4 pots from a 406 V6 Coupe are a bolt on fitment and have been fitted by a few others in the past.

The only thing is I'm on a tight budget here and the going price for the callipers used is usually well over 500 notes. But I've also found out that the lesser Coupe models came with 280mm discs and regular sliding single piston callipers albeit with pistons around 9mm bigger in diameter which may require a bigger master cylinder though I can't think that in reality it would. The 4 pots from what I read do but the extra capacity of them will be far more than the slightly bigger single pot items.

So after all that waffle, my intention is to fit 280mm high carbon brake discs with the Peugeot single pots. The callipers I need are in themselves extremely cheap to buy as I believe they also appeared on some other 406s like the diesel estates.

This is of course assuming someone doesn't already do a spacer bracket to fit the 182 callipers to the non RS uprights!

Has anyone else done such a budget upgrade on their non RS Mk2 in the past maybe?!

Cheers!
I did both of them in the past on my K4J MK2 before fully taking it apart to build an RS track car using its shell..
Anyway .. At first I put on brembos from 406. Beware they are old units and mine definitely needed a deep rebuild.
After doing it I fitted them with ferodo ds3000pads and a new 24mm master cylinder and RS 280mm rotors
At that time I had OZ superturismo and those needed some chunky spacers to clear the calipers. After a while I fitted some Cromodora's and with those 5mm spacers where enough.
The braking was really strong. They had a very strong bite. On my RS track car I have wilwoods with 280mm rotor and feel like having a bit less bite in comparison.
Strong bite, but fully usable also on road very modulable.
Bad thing was they literally howled. After some very strong high speed braking they felt silent for some minutes then become noisy again then become scarily noisy.
If only track use no problem, if also road use.. at least here its a problem.
Then also because of that (since at that time it was my daily drive) I tried the oem caliper option you mentioned.. IIRC mines were from a Citroen C5. Rebuilt them for my peace of mind and fitted without modifications.
They always behaved well and had a little more bite than the standar braking unit of non sport clios.. but missed the strong bite of 4pots, and missed the "grab" they had on rotors.
If I could get back in time For daily use I would not bother again.
For track use.. if looking for more bite I would go 4pots for sure.
My friend on his Twingo GT had those brembos for a lot only using it for trackdays and loved them.

So if you want to keep busget low and keep the 280, those single piston calipers can work (I would try with oem master cylinder before changing it.. being smaller than RS may give you a bit of more bite at the price of a bit more pedal travel) and are a good option. Just don't expect to feel another world.