ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

nikon d40 vs sony alpha A200

Focius ST
as above in peoples opinion which is better looking at moving upto a dslr and just wondered what peoples houghts were on them

cheers

Fiat Panda 100hp
but... the D40 is better.

Seriously, I had a ago on the A200 and it feels cheap and feels like a starter cam, where by the D40 feels better.

Nimbus 197
A200, D40 iirc has no "bulb" feature for remote shutter (big problem for long exposure night shots)

A200 as it has inbuilt anti shake
A200 on price/pixel
A200 for cheap minolta high quality lenses that are available cheap

etc
etc
etc

Oil Burner
a200

d40 is a camera made for midgets with a tight budget:rasp:

A200 is a little larger, very well thought camera.

Not sure what this forums fascination of with not liking sony is.

If you think you may want to take your photography further you may want to consider going straight for a pro-sumer model, like the d90 or 40/50d

Focius ST
ok im stuck now i cant decide i liked the a200 to start with but then people suggested a d40 hmm this could take some thinking bout

mk5 fiesta zetec s
best thing mate is go and feel both the camera's and see what one you like. pop into a decent camera shop and ask for advice. but i think a d40 is a very good camera to start of with.

Oil Burner
Try them, ive played with both, the sony more than the nikon, and preffer the sony. But the d40 is pretty stunning value. But things like the lack of focus points i found strange.

Spec wise the A200 beats the nikon hands down, its just that Nikon is a bigger name in cameras.

Lense wise they are very similar, with the d40 it needs to be afs lenses, sony they all work, but there is still a somewhat limited range.

Sigma now offer Konica/Minolta fit on all their lenses tho. So you can add that to the sony advantages.

D40 is an old camera technology wise compared to the A200.

lens wise you are not going to be lacking with the sony, you have a choice of over 70 lenses and they have flashes and accessories.

TBH you should not even be considering the D40 in 2009.

Focius ST
looks like i shall have to go have a look at the a200 but i feel pretty set on it i shall let u know how it turns out cheers

Focius ST
in the end bought a nikon d60 got a friend to buy it who gets 10% discount at argos so only cost £310 just got to go play with it now :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I got the D60 too for only a little more than you. Been very happy with it so far, got plenty to learn still.