ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D40X SLR

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I'm in the market for one of these, Mainly just for snaps of the car anda few close up shots for my R/C project, But I don't really understand Lens'

I would imagine these make or break the picture, And i have been looking one with a 18mm-55mm lens kit. But could find the money for a lens if it would be beneficial to me on my car shots?

I'm a little confused by the pricing on amazon too, they have:

Nikon D40 Digital SLR Camera (18-55mm Lens Kit)
Buy new: £329.00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KIX65S/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Nikon D40X Digital SLR Camera With 18-55mm Lens - Black (10.2MP)
Buy new: £404.20

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000O0WKUE/?tag=cliospnet01-21

And then a Nikon D80 Digital SLR Camera (18-135mm Lens Kit)
Buy new: £659.94

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000HK3JH4/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I know the more expensive one has the18mm-135mm lens, Hence the price, But why are the first 2 i listed so different in price? They both appear to have the 18mm-55mm lens?

Also, Am i looking at the right DSLR's? I thought they was about £1k?

Also, Whats the difference between the D40 and the D80?
Thanks

D40 (the first one) has a 6mp sensor, the D40X (slighty more expensive) has a 10mp sensor but other than that is essentially identical. D80 has some slightly more advanced features, but as a DSLR newbie I doubt you would benefit from anything in particular considering the extra cost.

The Nikon kit-lens are very very good, you would certainly be very impressed with the results and I would recommend sticking with that for a while.

On the pricing issue, prices have dropped massively in the past 2 years, £1000 would buy you a semi-pro effort now.

I would go for the 18-135 lens. I have this and its great. The 18-55 is a bit limited and its nice to have the zoom there if you need it.

D40 with 18-135 lens would be a good all rounder or the d80 package if your feeling a bit more flush, depends how deep you want to get in to it all.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
So would you recomend going for a D40X with stock lens (18mm-55mm) and see how I go?

In terms of deep, I Wont use it all that much, But I think that a high end camera is a very wise investment, And I'd imagine if I had a decent kit, I'd be more inclined to get into it.

What sort of advantages will I gain with the 18mm-135mm lens? As said, Its mainly for taking still shots, Like @ car shows etc etc, So how would the 135mm lens benfit me?

My Nan & Grandad have recently passed away, And I will be coming into some inhertiance when the house sells, My Grandad wasa very very very keen photographer (although not digital, He enjoyed the processing side etc), So would be a good way to remember them, Rather than spunking it all on a car or an expensive watch.

The D80 would last you a long time, and the extra quality and reach of the 18-135mm kit lens with that would ultimately mean you probably wouldn't need to upgrade your lens for a while (if ever), so it may be a cheaper investment in the long run.

D80 is very well regarded so if you did really struggle with it for any reason you wouldn't have any problem making a good percentage of your cost back on it.