ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NIKON D90

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Anyone had hands on yet??
went to the press launch yesterday, looks like a good surveillance tool

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've heard allsorts about this.

Built in VR with battery grip gives f10 stops!

Built in CS3 for in camera editing

Dunno whats actually true though, perhaps you can enlighten us?

Megane Mk4
I get regular emails from Nikon and haven't seen a hint of a D90 .. Wind up me thinks (for now..)
Last camera they announced was a Coolpix P80

coolpix80_header.jpg

LY 182 FF CUPPED
A wind up??....noope Lithium.

Perhaps you are no longer on the distribution list???
We had a phone call mid July, but were "sworn" to secrecy
It sure is the real deal.........we will have 10 on trial in a month, to utilise
the video capability.

172 mk2 Iceberg
The AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G ED VR will be on sale from September with an MSRP guide price of EUR 249.

Now i like the look of this very much

Not many point and shoot record in HD! If you forget that feature its still an impressive feature set!

Its pretty bizzare, not something I would normally associate with an SLR, but as long as they have not sacrificed anything else to have the video I think it will be ok.

Megane Mk4
I can see DSLR as we know it dying slowly..

Mind you, I bet loads said that kind of thing when 35mm film was strangled by Digital SLR. I personally think it going to be a while before it'll take off.. But I have been wrong before, I don't think I'd be buying one tbh

It's not natural :eek: ;) lol

2014 Focus Titanium
2 years ago we thought live view would never be on a DSLR because it would take the whole "SLR" essence away from it, but now its part of it we don't see photography any differently. Personally I would absolutely love to be able to record videos on my DSLR, cos I use my Ixus all the time for it.

I welcome change!

LY 182 FF CUPPED
So you now believe it is true Andy??...I couldn't say too much until today.....will come back to you once I have put it through its pace's

Cupra
Canon really are falling behind. If I could sell the lot and not take a big loss, I would seriously consider making a jump over to Nikon for the next body.

Megane Mk4
So you now believe it is true Andy??...I couldn't say too much until today.....will come back to you once I have put it through its pace's
Didn't say it wasn't true, just said I'd never heard anything as it wasn't mentioned in update emails from Nikon. ;) lol
It does look nice, but video mixed with DSLR technology imo, is wrong. :p lol

I think I'll stick with DV-tape camcorder technology and Firewire ;)

Canon really are falling behind. If I could sell the lot and not take a big loss, I would seriously consider making a jump over to Nikon for the next body.

I was thinking this, the 1000D price is completely bizarre considering it's apparently competing with the Nikon entry level cameras (the D40 alone has apparently sent Nikon sales skyrocketing). Nikon also seems to have shot ahead with high ISO performance (which has turned many Pros) and the quality of the LCD.

Can only be a good thing though, megapixels have taken a back seat to the things that really matter to most people, Canon will respond with something better and Nikon will try to top them again...making everything better quicker.

Not keen on the video thing, but film like quality will be easily attainable which can only be a good thing...going to get some gorgeous background blur when shooting with a 80-200 2.8 or something along those lines.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
We are going to be sticking a 4000mm lens on it.

Agreed video/DSLR is wrong...and from a Photographers point of view, could have serious impact on the trade.
Cameras are becoming too easy.....
But from my job point of view, it is an excellent idea especially when weight is concerned.
I also agree about DV tape and firewire - mpeg/ Hard Drive cameras just don't cut the mustard.

The problem with the D90 is that although it has video capability - it only has the same crop as the stills CCD - where as if we are using an XL2 say - the crop gives us x7 Magnification!!!
Would I buy one???....NO

Canon need to stop adding stupid amount of Pixels on their Sensors and bring out a Nikon ass kicking 64 bit sensor

Give me my old F5 anyday.

dk

911 GTS Cab
hmmm, it has some nice features for the price but the video is a gimmic, it will only be used to show off the camera to people, look what my slr can do etc.

Lets not forget that it doesn't have sound and no automatic focus either, so its going to be pretty limited in this version, maybe a few cameras down the line it might be a valid feature.

I guess the cameras are turning into more expensive point and shoot things these days, what with live view and now video, what next?

172 mk2 Iceberg
no sound...........!! good point Dk whats video 720p with out sound !!

but i do like the kit lense offered with it.. might be my next buy when it comes out

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
hmmm, it has some nice features for the price but the video is a gimmic, it will only be used to show off the camera to people, look what my slr can do etc.

Lets not forget that it doesn't have sound and no automatic focus either, so its going to be pretty limited in this version, maybe a few cameras down the line it might be a valid feature.

I guess the cameras are turning into more expensive point and shoot things these days, what with live view and now video, what next?

no sound?? well the demo video must be a lie then as it has sounds in it...

my d2x can record sound ffs that is nothing new in slrs

planetx i got an f5 lol and i had a f4!!

dk

911 GTS Cab
was being discussed on the dpreview forums, must have been a mistake.

The Automatic focus though is a pain, how often do you video something that isn't moving and won't need refocusing.

I know this guy is hated and loved and equal measure, but his comments about the movie mode were interesting...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm

As I mentioned in the other thread, manaual focus isn't a negative in my opinion (having seen what limited footage is so far available), if you are using a fast lens you would need absolute control.

Last edited:
Re: d90 video

Footage from the video function is stunning, check out the depth of field! Manual focus actually makes sense in that context as you would want absolute control if filming with a 50mm 1.8 or something.