ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon Newbie :)

55 Clio 182, C2 VTS
Well, with a trip to the Spanish GP looming in May I thought it about time to get a decent camera to get myself some nice memorable shots whilst in and around Barcelona.

So I plumped for the Nikon D5100.

Taken it to the odd family party, get togethers with friends etc in the last fortnight and I'm satisfied with the pics I have taken so far. I'm taking my time in reading through the guides etc on here and working my way through the numerous manuals supplied with the camera so that in future I can fully exploit its potential!

Its also given me an excuse to get out of the house more, go see things etc (provided the weather improves abit more) so I'm looking forward to sharing some snaps when I feel I wont embarrass myself! :eek:

I guess my next step is actually setting up a Flickr account... :)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Get out there and experiment with the camera, once you have an idea refine and re-think it until you have it to where you want it. It’s taken me 3 nearly 4 years with a DSLR before I can stand back and be proud of some of my work so it’s a long learning curve, but I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Photography is addictive, once you’re hooked you’ll end up spending ridiculous amounts of money on lenses and what not, but it’s great fun :)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great choice!

Get Flickr. Get photos up. Get posting... Get feedback and improve. Repeat until the end of time.

Get a 50mm lens. It'll teach you more than the kit lens ever could. I might have one up for sale...:eek:

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Your second lens is all down to what you would use it for. The cliche on here is to buy a 50mm, which is a great lens that is a must have at some point, but another lens such as a tele or wide angle could be more diverse for getting into Photography. For instance I got a 55-200mm tele because I wanted it for Motorsport and Wildlife and it served a good purpose.

So if you just want to shoot generally then get a 50, and if you do make sure you get the AF-S one, for shooting generally having to manual focus would be a pain.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Oh yes!
The 50mm/Nifty Fifty lens is awesome, but with "wide" in mind the 50mm is 75mm on a Crop-sensor :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Oh yes!
The 50mm/Nifty Fifty lens is awesome, but with "wide" in mind the 50mm is 75mm on a Crop-sensor :)

Exactly. 35mm will give a better 'actual' size on crop. Just get used to the stock lense or as mentioned the 55-200mm (which is a dx lens so range doesn't change). It's easy to get carried away and buy expensive lenses.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Luke I might want your 50mm soon, I am going full frame next month and taking the hit in buying the d800 :)