ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No alarm 182

Clio 182
hey

ive got a little problem that is starting to worry me, i bought a 182 in May, privately. Ive just recently noticed that it doesnt seem to have an alarm. I cant find the sensors, what else should I be looking for. Ive also tried sitting in car and tried setting it off, i know it takes 60 secs to activate. Nothing happened. But before i bought the car i got an HPI check and it came up as not being an import. ive also had the car back at renault in june for small warranty issue and they never said anything, the car was 2 year old in may. And i thought imports only had a 2year warranty. Im a bit concerned about this as im worried this will make my insurance void.

tiTTy & SV650
ask the dvla, renault cant keep track of their cars, Ally bought his as a euro import, renault told him it was a UK car so when he asked for his Renault Assist (AA cover) they said nah we dont offer it on imports, fools!

most euro imports have 3 year warranty aswell, 2 years from the manufacturer and 1 year from Renault UK.

133/225/CLS AMG
All Renaults in the UK will have 3 years on em, but as far as a I know you'd have to tell your dealership and they'll make sure it has a full warranty. Otherwise they try and make out that it only has 2 years.

Clio 182
I took the car to renault in june, it was 2years and 1 month old and they never had any problems fixing it for me. Never said anything. Ive noticed i dont have the elf stickers on back window, also my log books, the first page has a french stamp, some place in paris. I dont know if that is normal or not.

Clio 182
crap, im not happy about that. When i got my HPi check, it said it wasnt an import. Will this void my insurance?

Black/Gold 182
For the UK market the alarm is fitted after the car is brought into the country. I have a certificate with mine. The sensors are on the windscreen pillars inside the car (each one looks like a microphone)

Clio 182
I dont have the sensors on the pillars, i think im going to have to get an alarm fitted. Im also going to get in touch with dvla, find out if it is an import. I would have thought HPi check would have said so. Cheers guys

David

Clio 182
If i went to renault, do you reckon they would fit an alarm for me? and how much do you think it would cost?

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Mine was in the region of £300... Works with the standard key fob, but I've heard of aftermarket alarms which will now work with the original keyfob too...

I would enquire with your insurance company because alot would not insure me unless the vehicle was alarmed!

182 has now gone!
My 182 does not have an alarm on it either. At first I thought it was an import.. After some investigating itturns out it was bought direct from the factory and not via a dealer. But I have had it confirmed that it is a uk car and it has 3 years warranty on it.. perfectly ok to me...

Mini Cooper S sport
Yup, you have an import - you probably won't have window etching or locking wheel nuts either.

My 172 was an import, I got a Cobra alarm fitted which cost £250. Did the job, and worked with the Renault key plip - didn't fit the gearstick base back properly though, grr.

Johners said:
My 182 does not have an alarm on it either. At first I thought it was an import.. After some investigating itturns out it was bought direct from the factory and not via a dealer. But I have had it confirmed that it is a uk car and it has 3 years warranty on it.. perfectly ok to me...

If it was bought direct from the factory and doesn't have an alarm, how can it be a UK car? I thought only cars imported by the dealer network were defined as UK cars. Maybe I thought wrong then..

ST
Racing Blue said:
Yup, you have an import - you probably won't have window etching or locking wheel nuts either.

My 172 was an import, I got a Cobra alarm fitted which cost £250. Did the job, and worked with the Renault key plip - didn't fit the gearstick base back properly though, grr.

Its a cobra that comes on them as standard IIRC....cant be too bad..

182 has now gone!
If it was bought direct from the factory and doesn't have an alarm, how can it be a UK car? I thought only cars imported by the dealer network were defined as UK cars. Maybe I thought wrong then..[/quote]

I dunno... This is what I have been told by DVLA and renault and the HPI check.. Doesnt bother me if it is an import though.. but I wasnt told by the garage I bought it from that it was...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I have a Cat 1 Toad 850T fitted to my imported 182 , i had the same alarm fitted on my imported 172 . I wouldn't bother getting Renault to fit an alarm as iirc they only have an 18 month warranty , whereas the Toads come with a lifetime warranty .

I had a guy called Dennis , who is Toad approved fit mine , he's mobile and he came up from Newport Pagnell to Lancashire and fitted it on my car park at work on the 182 , and at home on my 172 .

It works off the original renault key fob and intergrates with the factory immobiliser .

I'm not sure how anybody has insurance without an alarm on a 172 / 182 as the insurance companys i hav phoned have always insisted that there is an alarm fitted , plus if its Cat1 with the certificate you will get a discount .

If your unsure if you have an import . Phone Renault customer services and they will tell you if its UK or imported , what warranty and AA cover you have .

If its sourced from Holland or Cyprus they only have 1 years warranty and NO AA assistance cover . Otherwise it will have 3 years warranty and 3 years AA cover from the time the car entered the country .

Renault cust service . Tel . 08000 723372

What makes me laugh is that they're ALL imports, but the 'UK' cars have to have a stupid pointless alarm fitted that everyone ignores, just to satisfy the corrupt insrance industry thats sponsored by alarm firms.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Like ya say Roy . They all come from the same bloody factory , lol .Theres just alot of misconception when it comes to imports .

Mini Cooper S sport
Roy Munson said:
What makes me laugh is that they're ALL imports, but the 'UK' cars have to have a stupid pointless alarm fitted that everyone ignores, just to satisfy the corrupt insrance industry thats sponsored by alarm firms.

Well, and other bits but yeah you're right, it's daft calling them 'UK cars'. Imports are quite a bit cheaper though.

Racing Blue said:
Well, and other bits but yeah you're right, it's daft calling them 'UK cars'. Imports are quite a bit cheaper though.

All those other bits are done when the car arrives on our shores though?

Clio 182
MRBILLYUK said:
I have a Cat 1 Toad 850T fitted to my imported 182 , i had the same alarm fitted on my imported 172 . I wouldn't bother getting Renault to fit an alarm as iirc they only have an 18 month warranty , whereas the Toads come with a lifetime warranty .

I had a guy called Dennis , who is Toad approved fit mine , he's mobile and he came up from Newport Pagnell to Lancashire and fitted it on my car park at work on the 182 , and at home on my 172 .

It works off the original renault key fob and intergrates with the factory immobiliser .

I'm not sure how anybody has insurance without an alarm on a 172 / 182 as the insurance companys i hav phoned have always insisted that there is an alarm fitted , plus if its Cat1 with the certificate you will get a discount .

If your unsure if you have an import . Phone Renault customer services and they will tell you if its UK or imported , what warranty and AA cover you have .

If its sourced from Holland or Cyprus they only have 1 years warranty and NO AA assistance cover . Otherwise it will have 3 years warranty and 3 years AA cover from the time the car entered the country .

Renault cust service . Tel . 08000 723372

cheers mate, il ring that number and find out where its from and how much warrenty etc. I think the car is from france. Thats the type of alarm im after, something that uses the same renault key fob. How much did that cost you? When i took out my insurance i told them i had a cat1 thatcham alarm and immobiliser, so i really need to get an alarm fitted asap. im worried this will void my insurance, I honestly didnt know the car didnt have one. Thanks for help guys

Clio 182
Ive been onto Renault customer services, he has told me it is a UK spec car, and the car should have had an alarm, but now that the car is 2years old, its to late to take it back and get an alarm fitted by them as it should have been done earlier when the car was new. He says il have to pay to get one fitted.

Yup sounds like an import - no bad thing, not having an alarm is just one less thing to go wrong lol.

I bought mine new from a UK broker knowing it was an import. Got the remainder of my 3 year warranty as I'd bought the car at the start of April but it first arrived in the UK at the end of January. Spoke to Renault UK who at first insisted it was a UK car, they've since changed their mind and officially they're saying it's an import but to UK spec... But that's not right either - it wasn't to UK spec AFAIK.

I now have my AA cover though! Warranty issues never been a problem in the last 5 visits to dealers in the past 4 months...

Black 172
I have an import also but mine had a top spec Toad alarm fitted, mine was imported from cyprus so i have no warranty but the car is three in a few months so i aint that bothered really. I checked all the history on my car recently as i didnt know it was an import when i bought it ( yes i know i should have spotted that it had a non standard alarm on it )