ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No Power in 5th Gear

OK guys, i had to drive to colchester yesterday, was the first time i taken it on motor way since i had it all kitted out, and i get to fourth gear, push it as far as it goes then put it in 5th and dont go ne faster, if nething, start to go slwoer???? whats happened :(((

Sorry that wasnt the most helpful off comments from me, Chris could be right about the spoiler though, it will slow you down. Spoilers like that are only helpful for downforce when cornering over 90mph on a track etc, but affect top end severely.

hm.........but i dnt see how im getting more out of 4th gear and then getting only a ouplce mph more out of 5th then starting to drop :S

sowwie vik :oops: so basically im f*ked?? nothing i can do now, im lucky for it to get past 90!! 100 down hill, maybe just ova, and its a 1.6 16v

Clio 197

Some less powerful cars are faster in 4th than in 5th. They just cant pull it in top gear but get far better mileage in a relased cruising mode.

The spoiler is a drag chute. Put your arm straight out the window at speed and youll see what I mean.

yea but its gone from being about 120 tops to 100 if im lucky on slanted hill, do u think me puttning the quad exhaust system on instead of standard will ehlp?? cheers for ur help guys

BMW 320d Sport

Drag for sure. Youve put on a kit you like the look of which is fair enough, but if you imagine the frontal view of your Clio before and after you should be able to see what I mean. Before, theres nothing to stop the air flowing smoothly over the roof and off the tailgate, and the bumper would have been shaped to allow a certain amount of air through the radiator and under the car, and the rest of the air-flow hitting the front bumper/grille would have been channelled around, over and under instead of through. After, youve got a bloody great snowplough of a bumper on there, filled with mesh which has a big enough mouth to encourage air to flow through it rather than around, but the mesh is creating a high pressure area I would have thought because its slowing the through flow of air. Then a spoiler so huge and upright, its similar in effect to the air-brake that a jumbo jet uses to lose all that speed when it comes in to land...

Id be surprised if it managed anywhere near the old top speed, especially if those are bigger wheels that are on it now as well, by doing that you;ve also lengthened the gearing! OOops. Oh well, who needs top end anyway these days?:D As long as youre happy with how it looks who cares? But if getting that old top speed back is important to you, Id thikn about taking teh spoiler off at least.

BMW 320d Sport

BTW forget the quad exhaust. Itll slow you down even more! Heavier and will probably lose you power, not gain it.

It has always made me laugh that people put spoilers on a car that didnt come equipped with one. People think that they make a car look fast because some sereously fast cars have them. But they slow the car down. Even the most powerful Scoobies with their pram handles shouldnt really have them unless they are cornering at incredibly dangerous speeds - think about it, they should have all the grip youll ever need on the road, its all cosmetic, the muppets.

The Lambo Countach could apparently do just over 190 without that huge spoiler and struggle to do more than 160 with it on.

yea but who said i put the spoiler on to make the car look faster, jonny imo i think it looks ncie and makes the car look better, surely were all still entitled to our opinions and do what we want to our OWN cars :) im just seeing what people thought about the speed situation, theres no need to do well over 100 anyway, spose saving myself from instant ban, i didnt think the air con wud come into it but i did have it on, and it was only going past bout 4200 revs so i duno :S