ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No Spare Nightmares...!!

Mondeo STTDCI
Nope. See post in Exterior and Mechanical entitled "Automatic tyre inflator - 182" tho.

clio 182 black /gold
Yes i hit the kerb and had a blow out. That foam is Sh1te. I had to get my dad to put a cheap remold on to get me home.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i hit a raised drain cover while overtaking and split the sidewall and i was in the middle of Wales had to be brought back on a transporter ( and they scratched my wheels as well)
now i have a space saver in my boot at all times which is a pain in the arse, i know i will never buy another car without a spare again

Black Gold 182
i reakon its all down to luck in the end.

all my cars have had spares, and ive never had to use them (touches wood for future!).

M.C.. said:
yeah i hit a raised drain cover while overtaking and split the sidewall and i was in the middle of Wales had to be brought back on a transporter ( and they scratched my wheels as well)
now i have a space saver in my boot at all times which is a pain in the arse, i know i will never buy another car without a spare again

MC

what kind of space saver did you buy and how much did it cost ya? Does it leave much space in the boot?

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
mine was off a rover 200/400 it's the same PCD but i had to machine about 3.5mm out of the centre bore to make it fit also the overall diametre of the wheel and tyre only differs by about 5mm.
got it off e-bay for £10 and the space it takes up is'nt that bad compared to the std size wheel, it goes from the rear seats to the edge of the boot and sits about 1-2 inch's below the boot lip.

I have posted loads of times trying to find out if I could get a space saver to fit, nice one! I have a 172, this wont make a difference will it?? When you machine it, did you drill it??

Thanks.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The foam works perfectly well - you need to jack the required wheel up in the air to take the weight of the car off it. Squirt the gas into the valve and leave it for 10 minutes to set. I drove 80 miles on a gas repair and got home fine with plenty of miles left to go in the tyre.

What about if you have a blow out at 80 on the motorway though, a can of foam's going to do fluff all for you then? Fine if you just have a nail in it, but it's not fool proof if you ask me. Driving a Renault makes you paranoid enough without worrying about no spare. Ok you can upgrade your breakdown cover but you've then got to wait for them to come out and take you to the nearest but dearest tyre place, what if you're half way to Scotland from Cornwall and it's 10 at night?

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
the foam probably does work well but when you have a 1.5 inch slash in the side wall it will do f**k all except make a mess.
Mike no i did'nt drill it i bored it out on a CNC milling machine so it is a purfect fit best thing for you to do is go and have a word with a local engineering firm and ask them if they could bore the centre out for you should'nt cost to much if it's done on a CNC it's only about 10-15 mins work, and get a wheel from a scrappy.
have a look on the site below for others that will fit
http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk/tech/pcd/pcd.htm
and check the RR with this
http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk/tech/pcd/pcd.htm

There is an addition of EVO were the V6 fleet car had a puncture / slash in the sidewall and the foam just came out everywhere.