ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noises! possible problem with my brakes

Audi S3 225

Hi, I’ve got a few problems that I think are caused from my brakes, firstly the front of my car makes some strange squeaking noise when I turn the steering wheel left and right sounds like its coming from the wheel or brakes but does it every time the wheel goes round like if I had a stone in the thread.

Also I’m sure the back drums are making some strange noise’s as well its like an always on howling noise, you can hear it when driving and sometimes it gets quite loud when just driving normally, if I knock it into neutral and roll the car with my head out the window I’m sure I can hear the noise coming from the back but I’m not 100 percent sure.

The cars done 27k miles and I changed the front pads about 500 miles ago, I used copper grease on them soon after as the started to squeak real bad and that fixed it, but its a different kind of noise now, they were fine until a few weeks ago.

Any ideas guys, I took the wheels off to give the disks a clean and found that the left disk I can turn with my hand quite easily but the right disk is really stiff to turn with my hand, could this be a problem and how do I loosen it up.

Thx

Allan

Audi S3 225

Not sure m8, havent got time to go out and check 2day, why do you ask? the steering and braking all feel fine when driving no problems there just the noises.

Suzuki SV1000S

Because I have experience similar problems and it was because the brake calipers were seized. Not in current car but a 1.2 16v

On the rear of my 1.2 mk1 one wheel turns really easily when jacked up and th hand brake is off, and the other is alot stiffer, have had no probs, apart from the handbrake sticking on sometimes after ive cleaned it

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

maybe rear wheel bearing. have you jacked up the car and spun each wheel to see if you can hear it?

Audi S3 225

Cheers guys here’s an update, I took the wheel off after much struggle dam wheel nuts have started to rust and are well hard to get out. Jacked the car up and turned the wheel left and right with the wheel off like George16v said, all was fine no noises at all.

I took the caliper off and copped greased the pads put it all back 2gether and the disk turns much easier now!:D

After a quick drive the howling noise has gone so most probably the caliper was seized and was always on, pads and disks look fine tho.

There was never a problem with the back drums it was the front all along, but I’ve still got a dodgy tinging noise when I turn the steering wheel right, even the slightest of touches to the right and I get the noise but the car must be going about 20-30mph+. Would this be the wheel bearing and how can I get this fixed.

Thx

ive got the same problem mate, howling noise when driving along, but its only every now and again. and if i turn the wheel sometimes it makes a loud noise then too.

guess ill have to check the calipers out then?

Audi S3 225

wot does the wheel bearing do, and how can i get it replaced and how can i check it myself and tell that it needs replacing,

help plz!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

If its a squeaking noise that you hear then check your cv joint boots. If they have dropped their grease then refill them and tighten them back on. I never had enough time and its meant getting 2 new driveshafts at 42000 miles :( Worthwhile checking anyway. A wheel bearing will start to sound like you have a helicopter trying to take off in your boot!!!

When I let my car roll at a slow speed I can just bearly hear a howling noise. It only happens when i slow down though and the pedals feel different as they should do. anyone know?