ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nokia - on the brink of self destruction?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Quite a bit of negative news on Nokia at the moment.

Sales plunging and with it so are its profits.

Reckon they could be going under in the future? I must admit, there used to be a time if you didn't have a Nokia mobile you were in the minority. It seems to have taken a big change now with the current smart phones from HTC, samsung and Apple taking over.

I mean, heck even my Dad got rid of his Nokia and bought an iPhone! (He doesn't use it as intended but got one as he wanted to see what all the fuss is about)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/19/nokia-windows-phone-adoption?newsfeed=true

Oh, Nokia. The red ink is pouring all over the place. The first-quarter 2012 results (PDF) show that not only did smartphone sales decline (to 11.9m units from 24.2m a year ago, and 19.6m in the previous quarter) but so did mobile phone sales (70.8m, down from 84.3m a year ago, and 93.9m in the typically higher Christmas quarter).

Audi A3
unfortunately apple have taken over.

all that nokia do, i think, is mobiles. at least with samsung etc they do other electrical items which helps the brand

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Nokia own lots of patents. So the game isn't over yet.

But unless something incredible happens soon, they will be swallowed up by Microsoft entirely.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Surely the chavs are keeping BB going. All I bloody hear is ''BB me mate innit" from the feral youth I have to speak with.

Listerine & Poledo
They wentwith the wrong technologies really.

Symbian did well before iOS and Android came along, but then development seemed to come to a stop.

Now they're in bed with Microsoft for their handsets, but it's just not getting the traction in the market.

EDIT: As Tom says

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Most people I know who couldn't afford Apple bought a BB.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
BB know what works for them though - and they are focusing more on the corporate market. We switched approx 20 users here from BB phones to Android ones and they simply don't compare as a business phone. In fact, some of these users are buying their own handsets to switch from their HTCs.

D.

Audi A3
when i went into global services last year, we were all given blackberrys. asked why, and the reply was that its the best for business use.

I have nokia "smart phone" the C7. It does the job but not a patch on apple/Android.

I had no idea they were associated with microsoft. No chance of a nokia/windows smartphone comeback?

Mercedes
BB may know that they have to get the corporates back, but as a business phone the I phone is stealing it's market share. I can't seam RIM turning it around unless they come up with an amazing product.

I am quite impressed at my Nokia Lumia 800.

From what I can see the Lumia 900 is flying off the shelves in the US. Nokia may be taking a hit on each handset though......

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Nokia have been off the ball for along time now. I have had nokias for years right up until I got my iPhone in 2010. My last Nokia contract phone was a nightmare, the handset was supposed to be top of the range model at the time but all it did was break. I had two handsets and on both the keypad stopped working, it crashed, battery life was shocking, I had dead pixels on the screen and all this was in 18 months.

I Bought an iPhone 4 in August 2010, I am a heavy user of the handset and it has never put a foot wrong. After all this time it is still in near mint condition and works 100% like it did the day I got the handset.

I would never bother with nokia again and IMO I can not see why anyone would when you can have an IOS or android handset.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
BB may know that they have to get the corporates back, but as a business phone the I phone is stealing it's market share. I can't seam RIM turning it around unless they come up with an amazing product.

This. My uncle has owned a Nokia for as long as I can remember, but he bought an iPhone recently and the only reason he still has the Nokia is because it plugs into his Merc.

Some guys who come into work on wednesdays (and work for a company making stabilisers and bowthrusters) were all given iPads loaded with diagnostic software which can communicate with their systems on a boat over bluetooth. Fascinating bit of kit.

Nokia just hasn't been able to keep up.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
They need to stop coming up with quirky guff that no-one wants. If they continue the improvements that were well displayed in the Lumia 800 then they can pull it back. Gone are the days of them making 50 different phones and dominating the displays in every phone shop, they need no more than 5 handsets (there's still a basic PAYG market there) and make them SLICK. Windows mobile is better than it's ever been, but they should be tapping into the android market as that's where the developers are, and people want apps

Clio 1.2 16V
They were too slow to adapt to the touchscreen/smartphone market especially after the iPhone came out. Last Nokia phone I had was the 5530, resistive touchscreen in a market full of capacitive displays, not to mention the horrible Symbian OS which was never a great touch OS. They should have came out with a decent spec'd phone and running Meego, basically the N9, but a few years earlier before android got popular. Probably wouldn't be in this situation now. Can't see myself ever getting a Nokia again.

Last edited:
I thought Blackberry may have continued success in the business market, but so many companies are now going down the iPhone route. Us (network rail) have just moved from blackberry to iPhones and they are proving to be a great asset to the company and helping more productive and safer work than the blackberry ever did.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't BB's big thing that they were able to handle data better, so when data was expensive, they were cost effective for businesses.

Now that data is cheap (relatively), the BB is no longer the default choice.

That may not be the case, but has been my assumption.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yes, certainly in the early days. But that still has value.

They (RIM) are missing a trick by not rolling out BBM and thier services to other OS's

RIM had enterprise pretty much to themselves as they did email fairly well and more to the point, nobody else bothered.

They were marking smartphones long before the iPhone appeared, but they haven't really innovated. Just let things continue and hope for the best.

Now the enterprise market is slipping away and they barely had a consumer market anyway. Time to license some patents and not waste money trying to make more phones.

RIM's problem also is that they suffered from cocky 'Nintendo Syndrome' Being the #1 player in the market and laughing at the original iPhone saying that a phone like that wasn't possible. Although the original iPhone was crap tbh (not the exterior, but the early iOS)

Marketshare counts for nothing when you don't actually make any money.

Profit is what everyone wants. That's where Apple is miles ahead.

Lol? Why are you laughing?

The lumia is 2 year old hardware in a beautiful box. That's it's biggest issue.

But the hardware is upto the job of running the operating system.

Why have a quadcore processor when it is not required and may have a decremental effect on the battery life.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Agreed.

But it's about to be replaced with 8 that won't be backward compatible because the hardware is so old.

BMW335M/Clio200/182
Nokia are not on the brink of self destruction, although they are adjusting their businesses model within the market.

They are making considerable profit within new and existing revenue streams and are on the cutting edge of mobile technology.

Anyone that says otherwise does not know what they're talking about.