ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Normal Operating Temp Mk2 PH1?

Clio Mk2 PH1 Grande
Hi all,

I've had my mk2 PH1 grande (1.2 8v engine) for just over 4 months now and am noticing that I seem to be getting pretty rubbish mpg. The only thing I can pin this on is that when left stationary the temp gauge rises to just over halfway & maintains, but when driving it drops to one notch below halfway

Is this normal for clios? Or should I be getting the buckets ready to swap the thermostat?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Every car I’ve ever known warms up to the middle, then stays there unless there is a problem. I’d start with a new thermostat, cheap and easy to replace.

my ph1 172 is 'up to temps' at just under half (y)
DD4E12E4-D989-46E0-BFA7-4B602BEA8950_jpeg.jpg

id say there is something wrong with that.

The guy was asking if just below half is normal temps, for me it is
Don't see anything wrong with the car to suggest it's wrong

If you could shed some light on why it's not what it should be then I'm all ears as I guess I'll have to look into it too

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

If you could shed some light on why it's not what it should be then I'm all ears as I guess I'll have to look into it too

It’s just a true fact, the gauge should be in the middle.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Thanks for the help

lol ok, thermostat, temp sensor, dash, wiring, many things. But if yours has been fine for 160k I wouldn’t bother. I couldn’t cope with the needle not being level though, it just looks broke.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member

Middle of the gauge on a 172/182 is just above 85C. The thermostat opens at 89C so it should be running around that. If yours is reading correctly your engine is running a fair bit cooler and the thermostat it at likely to be stuck slightly open.

Clio Mk2 PH1 Grande
^^Guessing that's the same on other engines/models too?
Few other bits to take care of first (fog lamps, plastics & wheel spray) so will likely leave as-is for the moment. It's due a service before MOT in May anyhoo so might just do the lot around then

Clio Mk2 PH1 Grande
so update on this...

I've gotten round to buying bits for servicing and have a fresh thermostat & coolant.

However...despite using europarts car finder tool to make sure I was ordering the right parts, the stat that's arrived is markedly different to the one in the car. The existing one has 3 hoses connected - one for the radiatior, one for the heater matrix and another which returns to the expansion bottle. The new one only has 2 connectors for the hoses

Is there something I'm missing here? I've scoured everywhere online and everyone else seems to have the '2 hose' stats on their car

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
so update on this...

I've gotten round to buying bits for servicing and have a fresh thermostat & coolant.

However...despite using europarts car finder tool to make sure I was ordering the right parts, the stat that's arrived is markedly different to the one in the car. The existing one has 3 hoses connected - one for the radiatior, one for the heater matrix and another which returns to the expansion bottle. The new one only has 2 connectors for the hoses

Is there something I'm missing here? I've scoured everywhere online and everyone else seems to have the '2 hose' stats on their car

Why don’t you just by a new thermostat rather than the entire housing?

Clio Mk2 PH1 Grande
Why don’t you just by a new thermostat rather than the entire housing?
There wasn't an option - the thermostat I've bought is part of the housing it seems, and all the how-to vids I've watched show the thermostat as part of the housing

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You can definitely buy just the thermostat, I did it on mine many years back.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Trying to see if I can find some pictures.