ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not a good start to my ownership, help please?

Ok so finally got rid of the MPS then taxed and insured the 182, not driven it since picking it up 3 weeks ago. Anyway so all was fine for the first 10 minutes then filled it up at Tesco with momentum 99 then literary the first time I opened it up a minute later after filling up it just lost a third of its power and sounded awful kind of like it was running on 3 cylinders. So then come home tried the obvious like the airbox and piping, then reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. Then took of one plug at a time to see if ran the same with one of the four unplugged but no ran terrible with one of the four each time. The exhaust sounds much louder to me, could a crack on the manifold cause this. Surly the fuelling up is just a coincidence as I've used Tesco momentum for years.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I found on 3 of these engines that when the car is sat for a while itll develop a misfire. Drive it for a good half hour and it should sort itself

I've been starting it every 5 days or so until warm. It was fine at first until I filled it up with 99ron, to coincidental for me. I'll strip it tomorrow and check for fouling on the plugs.

OK so changed the plugs (ngk) and the leads but no better, couldn't get a coil pack or diagnosis today either so screwed for work tomorrow unless I use the car.

You mean each plug from the coil pack? If so tried this and the car ran worse with each one removed...apart from No 4 where it only ran slightly worse. Not a hint of a dash light though.

dan's cast offs.
I've been starting it every 5 days or so until warm. It was fine at first until I filled it up with 99ron, to coincidental for me. I'll strip it tomorrow and check for fouling on the plugs.

that's pretty much the worse thing you can do. lambda is probably sooted up.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've been starting it every 5 days or so until warm.

Why !?!

Absolutely pointless. I've left cars sat for months without touching them. Aside from needing a jump, they start just fine.

There is absolutely no reason to sit idling engines. Infact it's about the worst thing you can do especially when it's cold.

RB 182 FF
When I had a misfire with my 182 I went the whole hog and got Magnecor leads, new coil pack, new plugs and injectors...I think for what they cost it was worth it as my car has run faultlessly for years since... Because I didn't know the previous history other than belts, dephaser etc I figured it's worth it, saves a world of hassle just to renew everything as I hate hassle!!:up:

OK so just pulled both lambda sensors, not to bad with build up. Give them a quick clean back to the copper colour and the car is still the same. Injectors and faulty coil pack left then. Will get it plugged in for diagnosis tomorrow and work from their.

dan's cast offs.
injector yes, lambda not necessarily, you'll need to check live data and see what it's doing when engine it up to temp.

dan's cast offs.
hit and miss if it works on anything really, personally wouldn't trust it whatsoever. have know it miss so many things.
does it drive?