ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not finding reg number on insurance?

F56 MINI Cooper S
Hi all.

Looking to view a silver 182 tomorrow, however when I got an insurance quote on the phone the bloke couldn't find the reg number, so just logged the quote under a Renault Clio 182 - not the specific reg. Anyway, I then went to get a quote online for a yearly premium, and it kept coming up reg cannot be found. This seems odd. What is the reason this could be happening, does sound abit dodgy.

Also, when looking to see if/when it was taxed on the VOSA website, it comes back to say that it ran out on the 13/1/12, which again is odd for it to run out in the middle of the month!

Any help much apprieciated.

Jordi.

260% JCW
I once had a car like this, was imported from Jersey. Even the local dealers couldn't find it by reg, they had to use the chasis number.

F56 MINI Cooper S
So how do you insure it then if it doesnt find the reg number?

Is there anywhere i can tell if its from Ireland etc?

F56 MINI Cooper S
I do put in the model, but I need to insure that exact car which isnt being found on the Insurance website?

Paperwork - what paperwork? I dont have the car yet.

Abit worrying really...

F56 MINI Cooper S
I did call them, I phoned them, spoked to a bloke, gave him the reg, he couldnt find it so just quoted on any 182 in general. so its no good running it on any old reg because i need to get insured on the one im buying!!

Petrol Blue 182.
if your buying this car then HPI it first, could be a simple reason its not picking up like a typo on the plate, could be false plates.....

I dont see how any other 182 would be diffrent from "that" one, i ran a quote on some random 1.8 16v before I bought mine. made no difference

Mk2 Ph2 172
just run a quote as a 182 then when you phone up they just need to enter the vehicle make and model manually... my focus was like this i have never had problems with insurance just told them the reg then they just asked what it was engine size etc.... makes no difference at all !!

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
I did call them, I phoned them, spoked to a bloke, gave him the reg, he couldnt find it so just quoted on any 182 in general. so its no good running it on any old reg because i need to get insured on the one im buying!!

You quote using any old 182, when you come to insure it the insurer will use the quote you received but change the reg to the correct one.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Oh i see, so they will insure that reg even though it isnt being found online now? Though they wouldnt insure it if they couldnt find the vehicle in question...

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
My 172 came up as a 5 door 1.2 with one insurance company.... though it was down as a 172 with DVLA.

AK

M240i
They will, but you have to send them a picture of the reg on the car before they'll insure it. As proof.

It's nice
the reason the reg number isnt showing up is..
the dealer didnt send all the car detals to the dvla when first sold
it really is a simple as that.
on my logbook i only have the vin number ,no model number, no engine number,no engine size.
i spoke to the dvla,they say 1000 of cars have details like this,and it isnt a problem.
she even told me my car has always been insured from the day the dealer sold it.
so just go to the insurer tell them is a 182 tell them the reg and they will insure it
iv never had a problem with direct line ,
when i need parts from renault i just give them the vin number,the car shows up on there system as a 182,but with no reg plate!!!!

Mk2 Ph2 172
yep i'm with direct line too ;)never had a problem with them

but mine has all the details on the v5 but has a note that it has been registered over sea's

F56 MINI Cooper S
Thing is on that car check it finds every 182 that i pick a reg from, plus it also comes up as "grey" rather than silver, it should come up silver as i entered in a reg for another silver one

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Right:

Get a proper HPI check.
Check the chassis number against the MOT etc.

If it's all clear, it's all good.

Some cars just aren't registered properly, it's not a big deal at all.

It's nice
Thing is on that car check it finds every 182 that i pick a reg from, plus it also comes up as "grey" rather than silver, it should come up silver as i entered in a reg for another silver one

dosent find my 182
i had mine for 5 years ,little details on my log book
never been a problem
hpi all checks out
did a gold report on the car when i bought it,all checks out

MR2 Mk1.5
I'm struggling to see the issue though Jordi, you phone the insurance company, they find the 182 on their system (without referring to the reg number), they then insure vehicle using the registration number you have given. I know I work in the industry but its not rocket science.