ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not quite sure what I want... wireless hdd etc.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
So I plan on getting a Surface Pro when they're out, meaning I'll only have a small hdd. I'll need somewhere else to store all my media... I was originally thinking along the lines of a wireless hdd? Do these even exist lol. So far I've looked at:

• Plugging my current external hdd into my router - Unfortunately I found out it's only used for printers. I could get a new router that will allow hdd usage?
  • A new router with a built in hdd, however, this means I won't really be able to take my data with me (but I could put some stuff on an SD card)
  • NAS... please explain as I don't know much about these! They plug in via ethernet is that right? Again it would seem this wouldn't be ideal for taking my data with me.

I could just stick with plugging my current external hdd into the Surface via a USB hub, but it will start looking messy!

Polo + Micra
word on the street is that hp will be releasing a new microserver (n54L)in the next month or two so the old model (n40L) my be flogged off cheap

i got one last year for £104 quid (after cash back) and will take 4 HDDs will need a bit of programming (not too involved) but will do whatever you want

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I really don't need that much. Have to admit I'm not really in the knowledge with RAID... can it be set up to backup one drive to another?

Polo + Micra
yes it can. i haven't got mine in a raid and you can run with just a single drive in it (mine came with a 250 GB)