ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

nothing new here-just some circlip questions

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
car had went a few weeks past and just found out after doing some searching and reading on here that it prob just the circlip,

ive thought it couldave been a sh*t 2nd hand box i had put in or bodge fitting of it as it was done by a farmer/machanic or that 3 weeks of my driving had just f*cked something,

just a few questions...

can i check and replace the circlipand washer with the gearbox still in place and just remove the driveshaft?i have seen mattblack's post and pictures for pinky but looks like he has the box apart,or is this only for picture purposes.

when every1 asks does the speedo go up whilst trying to drive do you mean the speed or rev limiter?i can rev and rev in all gears but no speedo readings i dont think.

do you need to drain the gearbox oil to take a driveshaft out?i have swapped drivers side without draining just as the circlip was starting to loosen to check it wasnt a shaft gone then on the test drive with new shaft i lost all drive,(not questioning mattblack at all just a query):nono:

just wanting everything clear as got a mate coming to check who is more machanically minded than me and would like everything clear for before we start.

many thanks,

when the car started to pack up i couldnt turn over half steering for noises or go over 2-3000rpm,now that the car has no drive i can find all gears with clutch but not without it all i got was a wee grind and thought yep ok its not going in with out clutch,i can hear the clutch release bearing in 4th 5th and reverse when in gear and release clutch.
3 days before the night it scared me with noises and i took it home when i was pumping up the passenger side tyre i could hear a quiet metal grinding from gearbox area this was my only hint that somthing wasnt right but monday night i heard it thursday night it started being noisey and stopped working:dead::dead::dead:

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
bump
also if i cant get it into gear without the clutch does that still mean its circlip,after reading sum posts again im unsure of this

anyone?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
car had went a few weeks past and just found out after doing some searching and reading on here that it prob just the circlip,

ive thought it couldave been a sh*t 2nd hand box i had put in or bodge fitting of it as it was done by a farmer/machanic or that 3 weeks of my driving had just f*cked something,

just a few questions...

can i check and replace the circlipand washer with the gearbox still in place and just remove the driveshaft?i have seen mattblack's post and pictures for pinky but looks like he has the box apart,or is this only for picture purposes.

you can, yes

when every1 asks does the speedo go up whilst trying to drive do you mean the speed or rev limiter?i can rev and rev in all gears but no speedo readings i dont think.

you should be able to rev up easily and select any gear without using the clutch... gearbox should feel abnormally smooth.

the speed should rise, yes

do you need to drain the gearbox oil to take a driveshaft out?i have swapped drivers side without draining just as the circlip was starting to loosen to check it wasnt a shaft gone then on the test drive with new shaft i lost all drive,(not questioning mattblack at all just a query):nono:

oil needs to be drained :)

passenger side setup is different to the drivers side. the CV boot holds the box oil in.

just wanting everything clear as got a mate coming to check who is more machanically minded than me and would like everything clear for before we start.

many thanks,

when the car started to pack up i couldnt turn over half steering for noises or go over 2-3000rpm,now that the car has no drive i can find all gears with clutch but not without it all i got was a wee grind and thought yep ok its not going in with out clutch,i can hear the clutch release bearing in 4th 5th and reverse when in gear and release clutch.
3 days before the night it scared me with noises and i took it home when i was pumping up the passenger side tyre i could hear a quiet metal grinding from gearbox area this was my only hint that somthing wasnt right but monday night i heard it thursday night it started being noisey and stopped working:dead::dead::dead:

sounds like more than the circlip :dead:

remove the driveshaft and investigate :)