ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Number plate light

MK2 PH1 1.2
when i took my car to renault the other week because of an electrical fault they told me that my numberplate light was out. So, i decided to buy a new LED light to fit in there and it arrived today.

But, when i put it in the socket... nothing. is there anyway to check whether its the bulb? and if not, does anyone have any idea what it could be down to?

cheers

Da

Less
It's down to corrosion, it's a common fault. You need to pop the bulb holder out of the bumper and clean up the contacts a little.
Failing that it's probably time for a new unit completely! :)

MK2 PH1 1.2
i'll give it a go, i did try that earlier but i didnt wanna force it and break anything.

and by new unit, i'm hoping u mean jus the number plate light cluster etc. lol

182-racing-blue

Did you try turning the LED around? they have -/+ polarity.

clio dynamique dci
also led's have specific + and - so if you knew there was power there (which by the sounds of it you dont!) you may just need to take the bulb out, and fit it in the ohter way! (unlike a standard bulb, which would work whichever way round you fitted it!!)

182-racing-blue

The numberplate light only has one contact so polarity isn't an issue.

What???? LOL

So one end is earth and one is live yeah.

The units will only work one way. Im not saying it again!!!

?
Mine did the same when i picked my new car up mate. Cleaned out the loom connector with wd40 and it works fine now :)

Seriously, try cleaning it out first!!!

1998 BMW e46 323i
Renault told me mine was out too after a 'healthcheck', but said it was only an £8 part, but out of stock. Seriously, what do they have in stock!?

MK2 PH1 1.2
Mine did the same when i picked my new car up mate. Cleaned out the loom connector with wd40 and it works fine now :)

Seriously, try cleaning it out first!!!

will do that tomorrow after work then. if not, it might be a trip to renault... but a free one :p

Da

Less
Lewis, yeah that's the correct bulb exactly the same as the one I have.
As for checking, it's just a matter of popping the holder out of the bumper and giving it the once over.

Clean the contacts and see if that helps, if not then check the wiring. Often this can rot and fail. That should help identify which part needs replacing mate.

MK2 PH1 1.2
i guess i'll have to give it a look tomorrow, i'll take some pics n if i havent got a clue, maybe someone will have an idea lol

MK2 PH1 1.2
Right i took a look at the cluster etc. today and i'm clueless still. if anything it looks like the contact is dirty... but how would i clean it? any ideas?

Image026.jpg

Image027.jpg

Image028.jpg

Image029.jpg

1998 BMW e46 323i
use an abrasive on the contacts the bulb touches, clean everything and oil the metal bits. then try again, check fuses etc! I'm gonna have to do mine, will prob' end up getting the tin foil out!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Put a bit of sandpaper on the end of something thin enough to get into the contacts
get the rough off and spray some wd40 in
clean up and try it again :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Also, the little metal contact inside the housing can sometimes be bent out of shape so needs pushed gently so it touches the bulb

MK2 PH1 1.2
Okay I sanded the connections a bit and put some wd40 on it and left that overnight.

put it all together today and at first nothing... :( put my hand round it to see if it was lighting at all and then all of a sudden it blinded me :D will get a pic at night but for the moment...

Image035.jpg

appreciate your help guys, thanks

1998 BMW e46 323i
just fixed mine with grease from my door hinge, a key and a wiggle! The connector is poorly protected. It will ultimately rot and drop off. Thanks reno!

MK2 PH1 1.2
I recommend some new plates next, thats looking past it :)

Yeah deff, been doing some temp work and was supposed to be getting a nice £500 for two weeks work. But now it looks like it's not gunna be quite so much. if i have the money, i'll sort the plates. No 3/4 plates though :)