ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Number plate position !

Clio 172
Right can anyone help me, what are the legal places to place your number plate,

Obviously middle of front bumper,
What about on the side of your bumper like a lot of jap cars does it matter which side ?
What about in your windscreen or on your dash are they legal i have seen quite a few, they make the front end look great but surely there not legal ?

Stagecoach Ticket
I think it has to be;

Standard size plate
Standard size text
Standard font
E marked
Place where it was made displayed
No pictures of borders except country marks
Standard black text

I also think its illegal to move the plate from the front bumper but maybe wrong

Clio 172
i know you can have it on the side of your bumper just no idea if which side matters some cars are made with it on the side.

182 Full of Fat
I remember having a conversation with a Traffic cop about this when I 1st started driving.
He told me you could attatch a square number plate on the n/s of the bumper and it would still comply with the law, but obv would be frowned upon. Aslong as it's attatched to the BUMPER and the plate is visible it's ok

Da

Less
I always though off side was the law and so long as it was standard text/font/spacing then it'd be fine.

Inside the windscreen is NOT legal.

I think pretty much as long as it's legal size/spacing/font and clearly readable you can have it anywhere on the bumper. In the windscreen etc is a bit of a grey area, will all depend on what the coppers are like where you live.

Clio Cup,Leon 1.8T,Eunos
Also needs to be as near vertical as possible

Jap imports (like my Maz) can get away with a lot more than UK cars