ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nutanix + VMware

Rav4
Hi,

Has anyone used Nutanix in their employment or projects?

I went to a VMug conference the other day, previously thinking it was another hype, but the product looks awesome.

Would be great to find our real life usage if possible.

Obviously this solution would not be great for everyone.

Thanks,

G.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Not used it myself, I'm a Virt/Cloud architect so my first question would be... what are you trying to do?

Rav4
Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Not trying to do anything at the moment ;) just want to know if any of you have used it or been involved with a project and wanted to find out more regarding the product, i'm quite partial towards the scale approach for infrastructure design.....

Virt/Cloud architect, awesome :D hope that is fine :)

I'm going to have a demo of it tomorrow, see what it is really like and how quick it is to implement. Their offering is supposed to be amazing for VDI (not the biggest fan of VDI myself though, due to licensing costs) and additionally they are now offering the units with Intel SSD's instead of Fusion cards, which should save a substantial amount of money on the units.

Thanks,

G.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Oh yeah, FusionIO is seriously awesome, but only if you have deep pockets! Makes SSD's look like floppy drives!

Have you looked at OpenStack (www.openstack.org)? Comprises of an entire horizontally scaleable IaaS stack and it's free of charge, just uses commodity hardware rather than an appliance, plus it works with VMware ;-)

Rav4
Yes, they sure are, iOPS on those are ridiculous, VMWare View toy :)

Not really to be honest, I need to get more into it, have you used it? I saw your blog, but you have not updated much on it :(

Thanks very much for all your feedback,

Gabi.

dk

911 GTS Cab
id never heard of nutanix but they are coming into us to present next week to try and get us to sell their product. Unfortunately i wont be around to see it, but if we are entertaining the idea of taking them on they must have something to offer.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Yeah I've been extremely busy with work and then working on the Clio on the weekends so really not had much time to update the blog!

And yep, OpenStack is a great collection of technologies, well worth having a look. Easy way to deploy on a single machine is to use devstack: http://www.devstack.org

Rav4
Yeah I've been extremely busy with work and then working on the Clio on the weekends so really not had much time to update the blog!

And yep, OpenStack is a great collection of technologies, well worth having a look. Easy way to deploy on a single machine is to use devstack: http://www.devstack.org

CloudStack to me looks rather similar to OpenStack but with an interface that seems more logical, will have a play when I can and see. Thank you for the heads up :)

Since I have stopped playing with cards, I have a lot more free time now, but taken up with other things such as the wife !!

dk - yap, they are over next week, I got the demo date wrong, I will be seeing them next week. I think you would like the product, but I don't see how it can fit most outfits, however, I am sure you would have wound up the sales people :)

Thanks,

G.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Lol, you've bloody changed your username!

Yeah, it's probably a good thing I'm not there, won't be so much heckling ;)

Rav4
Lol, you've bloody changed your username!

Yeah, it's probably a good thing I'm not there, won't be so much heckling ;)

ahhhh yes, I keep forgetting that I have changed it !! :)

I'm always up for checking new technology, you have a good job !! Would be good to know if you guys are going to become resellers of it or not.

G