ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OBD Light flashing and running terrible..

Blobeye WRX STi W/T
Hey guys,

Car is 2002 ''02" Clio 172

Jumped in the car this morning (said it was -7) car started no problem but immediatly the idle went VERY low and almost cut out, but then jumped up and was idling lumpy (been idling lumpy since i bought it anyway)..

Left the car to warm up while I took all the ice off the car.

Started to drive off and noticed the engine was under powered and sounded slightly odd..
got about 500yards down the road and the "On Board Diagnosis" light started flashing (only if i went over 2k revs)
so pulled over and it stopped but the light went out..

well I had an exam to get to so I had to carry on, when the engine warmed up even more you could tell it wasnt running on all 4 cylinders and the OBD light continued to flash (the car sounded like a scoobie crossed with a spitfire plane, partially to the stupid huge exhaust the previous owner put on), the OBD light would disappear if i was sat idling..

Well I got to uni and went to my exam, the car was sat for around 3 hours, when I got back it was still happening, this time the OBD light was stuck on when idling but flashing when driving.

I'm almost 100% it's only running on 3 cylinders

What in total could cause this? HT leads, Coil Pack, Spark Plug.. anything else?

I dont have a diagnostic code reader to check what the fault is, if anyone could point me in the rite direction to buy one I'd much appreciate it :) (I'm a clueless when it comes to diagnostics so a direct link would be perfect lol)

Blobeye WRX STi W/T
oh another question, I have a multimeter, so would it be possible to check the HT leads are providing a power using this? or would this cause more problems disconnecting and trying?

Also could I un hook each lead one by one to see which cylinder is the problem? or again would this damage anything more??

Thanks guys

182 Turbo Project
Recently had this problem mate! Get a fault reader and see what it says, in my case it was misfire on cylinder 1, try changing the leads over then run the fault reader again, if the misfire has moved to a different cylinder then it's the leads. However, I changed the coil pack, plugs, leads and lambda sensor. It runs like a dream now, no more bad starts or sounding rough, plus my flat spot has gone :)

Just read the posts again, I think a fault reader is about £40? I personally wouldn't bother, you could try taking it to a garage and asking them to plug it in? My local garage did it FOC for me, which was quite a result. But if you can, you may as well change all the above items anyway, depending on when they were last changed obviously! I am also certain that the coil and leads hadn't been changed from new!

Hope this helps?

Blobeye WRX STi W/T
only had the car for 3 weeks today lol..

so no idea if any of them have been done, got no reciepts so can only assume they havent, cheers for the input, will try them out as soon as possible :)

182 Turbo Project
Have the car running, then take one lead off of the coil pack at a time. If the car sounds worse when you remove one, then that lead is ok, if you remove one and it sounds the same, then that's your duff lead!

Black Clio 172
I have just had similar problems and changed the cat, both lambdas, coilpack and injectors. All appears to be fine so far. I believe the injectors were ultimately at fault.

Blobeye WRX STi W/T
Was the injector at fault.

with the engine running I removed one of the HT leads from the coil pack at a time, the engine note changed with 3 of the HT lead but stayed the same with 1 (so that was the cylinder at fault)

so I was pretty certain it was either the HT lead, Injector, Spark Plug (or even water down around the spark plug) or a coil pack.

So I started at the easiest to change, (the injectors) I removed the plug off each injector in turn to find which was at fault, then swapped the one at fault with an ok one, the misfire moved so that ment the injector was at fault...

bought 4 second hand injectors for £20 and changed it and now all sorted :D

3 Series xdrive
Hey guys,

Car is 2002 ''02" Clio 172

Jumped in the car this morning (said it was -7) car started no problem but immediatly the idle went VERY low and almost cut out, but then jumped up and was idling lumpy (been idling lumpy since i bought it anyway)..

Left the car to warm up while I took all the ice off the car.

Started to drive off and noticed the engine was under powered and sounded slightly odd..
got about 500yards down the road and the "On Board Diagnosis" light started flashing (only if i went over 2k revs)
so pulled over and it stopped but the light went out..

well I had an exam to get to so I had to carry on, when the engine warmed up even more you could tell it wasnt running on all 4 cylinders and the OBD light continued to flash (the car sounded like a scoobie crossed with a spitfire plane, partially to the stupid huge exhaust the previous owner put on), the OBD light would disappear if i was sat idling..

Well I got to uni and went to my exam, the car was sat for around 3 hours, when I got back it was still happening, this time the OBD light was stuck on when idling but flashing when driving.

I'm almost 100% it's only running on 3 cylinders

What in total could cause this? HT leads, Coil Pack, Spark Plug.. anything else?

I dont have a diagnostic code reader to check what the fault is, if anyone could point me in the rite direction to buy one I'd much appreciate it :) (I'm a clueless when it comes to diagnostics so a direct link would be perfect lol)

Get yourself one of these, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LATEST-UNIVER...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19b6744be1 only £22 k-tec sell the same one for £42

Was the injector at fault.

with the engine running I removed one of the HT leads from the coil pack at a time, the engine note changed with 3 of the HT lead but stayed the same with 1 (so that was the cylinder at fault)

so I was pretty certain it was either the HT lead, Injector, Spark Plug (or even water down around the spark plug) or a coil pack.

So I started at the easiest to change, (the injectors) I removed the plug off each injector in turn to find which was at fault, then swapped the one at fault with an ok one, the misfire moved so that ment the injector was at fault...

bought 4 second hand injectors for £20 and changed it and now all sorted :D

This is gonna sound stupid (and my engine is different to yours)

But are they the four round things on the top of the engine with the wire that comes out on a clip?

I have removed them individually but it just stalled every time.

Blobeye WRX STi W/T
ah, those things are coils, slightly different to how the F4R works. but the engine shouldnt cut out if your remove the connector to one at a time, it should just run worse

Some pleb had replaced two but not the other two. Stuck a couple of the same brand in and it's better now but gonna replace all 4 when I pop to eurocarparts in a bit.

Blobeye WRX STi W/T
my old K4M (1.6 16v megane) used to run bad because one of them wasnt fully screwed down. was cheaper than buying new ones :D