ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OBDII scanners with "Live Data" function- what works?

RSC 182 Cup
Recently I bought a U581 OBDII scanner for my 182- the main function I was interested in was the "Live Data" capability. (Live Data gives you a lot of sensor and engine data feedback while driving.) From what I can establish the U581 is compatible with ALL the current protcols.

I've now tested this unit on four cars, all three of the Renaults (RSC 172, 182 and a Kangoo 1.6l) I've tried would not give any "live data stream" to the scanner and thus no info is displayed :( . My wife's Mazda 6 (2.3l) however works perfectly.

So, has anyone found a hand held scanner that will give "live data" feed back on a RSC?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
This won't help a great deal, but I have the same reader and the live data function works fine on my 2002 172. Is it possible (though I doubt it) that they use a different protocol for Australia? As far as I know the (European) 182 uses a different type to the 172, but as you've tried both, it doesn't seem to be that.

What does it say when you first connect it, when it detects the protocol the car uses?

Do you get the "No codes stored" message, or nothing at all?

Seems weird it hasn't worked on 3 Renaults when it claims to work with all "European" cars of this sort of age.

RSC 182 Cup
I can't remember what protocol it says it connects as- I'll have to check.

It does seem to check for faults OK and comes up with "No Stored Codes" (or a similar phrase?) when I check the faults.

When I select the "Live Data" option something like "No live data stream found" is displayed? The 172 I tried it on was a 2002 from memory, which is interesting considering that's your model and your U581 works.... I don't think we've got any special protocol in Australia, just normal OBDII, the market is too small over here!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Does seem strange - I expect for your market they'll be exactly the same as the UK (except the speedo in km and smaller alloys for some strange reason) I really doubt it would be worth the effort to have a special Australia protocol!

Maybe it's a fault with your reader? I've plugged mine into at least 10 cars and it's never said no.

There must be some reason it can't talk to 3 Renaults but works with a Mazda. I suppose you've tried rescanning the data and switching the engine on and off and the like?

FWIW mine just plugs in, switch the car on, that's it. You can watch it go to closed loop running and suddenly get better, see the real speed (which the ABS seems to get much closer to GPS speeds than the speedo), all sorts.

You tried Fords etc?

RSC 182 Cup
Hmmm.... It does sound like mine is possibly faulty?

I bought it mail order from Hong Kong and have Emailed them about the Renault problem but haven't got a response. I also sent UIFtech an Email directly today (they make them) but don't hold much hope of getting a response.

I might try taking it to work and try plugging it into one of the work vehicles tomorrow (a Falcon - Aussie made large Ford) and see what happens.

I've tried the rescanning option once connected but still no joy. It goes through and says what protocol it's connecting as and the live data still does nothing with the engine running. The Mazda worked just as you said- plug it in, start the engine and live data mode read all the info straight away.

RSC 182 Cup
ELM323 and Digimoto usually works.

Paul

I'm trying to avoid using a laptop, but the way I'm going at the moment it sounds like a safer option. :S

I checked what happens when first connected to the 182, the screen goes through the following routine:

SAE 1850 VPW
SAE 1850 PWM
CAN OBDII
KWP 2000

It seems to hook up on the KWP2000 protocol going by what quickly flashes on the screen???

I tried it on work's Ford Falcon and initially got the same "No Data Stream Data Exist!" message, but selecting "Rescan" got it working. I just tried my 182 again and did the "Rescan" about five times with and without the engine running and still got nothing ("No Data Stream Data Exist!")

Has anyone else got a U581 and got some feedback?

1997 Mk1 Megane 2.0 16v
hehehe i use a Bosch KTS-650 at work (i work in a bosch service centre), bout 6-7 grands worth of kit!! works a treat CAN-BUS the works!!