ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Occasional and often misfire

Blackdavid

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172,Golf VR6
Hello.
my car is acting very weird and its very annoying.
It takes 10 minutes of cranking to start it when it doesn't work, very fuely smell, and misfiring horrendously, while not displaying the right temp, the gauge drops to zero.
When the temp gauge chooses to display right( jumping from 0 to 90) it works great. So when the temp is on 0 it misfires, when the temp is normal it drives normal.
Diag gives no misfire, but gives an 02 sensor which has been replaced recently. Changing the temp sensor changed nothing.

Blackdavid

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172,Golf VR6
Check for corrosion in the white plug under the engine bay fuse box
No corrosion there, also frenquently checked and sprayed with contact cleaner.
Did you fit the correct bosch lambda? The clios don't like cheap ones.
I've fitted the same one that was on the car, and its a bosch unit.
However, ive changed it a couple of months ago, it has been fine since then. I suspect the petrol that was pouring in the exhaust might have caused some false readings, explaining the o2 fault.

Could a bad temp sensor/ sensor wiring cause that much issues?

Looks like it only drives like crap when the temp gauge doesn't work, drives fine when its showing the correct temp (a bit above half)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I'd have thought if the temp sensor signal isn't working correct then the car will be running on the cold start map, and if the lambda is dodgy that might make it worse. Could be a wiring issue or being a clio it could be a nail in the spare tyre.😂 I'd try swapping the lambdas around and see if that does anything.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
If the temp sensor has been changed and it’s still jumping from hot to cold then surely that would point towards a wiring issue?

Blackdavid

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172,Golf VR6
If the temp sensor has been changed and it’s still jumping from hot to cold then surely that would point towards a wiring issue?
I've also changed the wires from the ecu to the sensor, no luck there.
Last couple days the temp is staying on low all the time, and car is running like crap, and getting mpg like theres a V12 in front

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'd have thought if the temp sensor signal isn't working correct then the car will be running on the cold start map, and if the lambda is dodgy that might make it worse. Could be a wiring issue or being a clio it could be a nail in the spare tyre.😂 I'd try swapping the lambdas around and see if that does anything.
Definitely that. If its running on the cold map it'll be over fueling.