ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd thing at the garage today (strut tops)

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Just rocked up to the garage for a fresh set of rubber this morning, later on in the day they give me a call to say the strut tops are on their last legs (front). Now, that's odd as I changed them less than a year ago in order to pass the MOT... So I tell them that, and they advised that I pop back in for a quick look.

Sure enough, there's some play in the spring, and the wheel has a tiny amount of movement. We both suppose that the current fittings may have perished in a year if it's not a good quality one (don't know what make it is but, it's not genuine)

They fit a new pair of Andy Page specials and call me back only to say that it's still got the same movement. They then suggest that perhaps only a set of genuines would cure the problem?

Does this ring true with anyone, or could it be something else? Something is loose for sure - I sometimes get a short sharp 'rebounding' clang on the odd corner.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Right, a mate has just mentioned that there will be a bit play in the strut when the car is jacked up - I think that mechanic should stick to gluing tyres on... Still not sure what the 'rebounding' sound is tho.

Yeah, wheels off the floor - I've been assured now by a number of people that it's quite normal. So long as there's no up and down movement (which there wasn't cos I checked) The Garage have only charged me for the tyres anyway so It's no big deal