ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Officially fed up with my car :(

Clio Dynamique
Well I've been having a problem my Clio miss-fireing for a few months now. I've taken it to my local garage several times but they can never find anything wrong with it? So they ran it on the diagnostic which came up with a fault that aparently only Renault can read. So I took it to Renault and they fitted a new lambna sensor at £200!

The problem seemed to be fixed until today (a week later) it started again :(.

What happens is when you go to accelerate it will jerk a bit and then smooth out. It does it about 60% of the time and is driving me insane as there seems to be no obvious fault.

Just wondered if anyone perhaps who's had similar problems could help? Otherwise it's back to Renault and then the next stage would be to get a new car which prob wouldn't be another Clio!

ANY help would be appreciated! Thankyou

Titanium 182
have you ruled out an injector ? they're not hard to change really...
I've only done one of a 172 though.

£200 for a lamba sensor is stupid, you got bent over there. They cost about £70 for a bosch one and a exhausts place would fit for an hours labour at most.

Apart from this the most obvious cause of misfire in the non-sport models is the coil packs which are cheapish to replace, I had mine go when I had my 1.4 dynamique.

I had a misfire in cylinder 2. Felt hesistant in 1st and other gears on acceleration.

Turned out to be the coil-pack. Replaced it was all fine after.

Titanium 182
TBH coil pack should have been first port of call, if your local garage didn't check them as a matter of course for a misfire I would be quite worried. They always go on clios.

Clio Dynamique
I had a misfire in cylinder 2. Felt hesistant in 1st and other gears on acceleration.

Turned out to be the coil-pack. Replaced it was all fine after.

My mechanic thinks it's one of the coil packs but cannot find out which one, and said it will cost a fair bit to replace all of them. And that might not even solve the problem. Might be worth finding out how much it would be to have them all replaced.

I don't really have a clue on anything mechanical about cars so I try and rely on my mechanic (I know I prob shouldn't but I have no choice really)

alien green rs133
90% sure its a coilpack i have had two go on me and thats what it felt like, first one was going for about 4 months, just before i went on holiday it cured itself :S then it failed on holiday, AA wagon home was not fun :(

Titanium 182
My mechanic thinks it's one of the coil packs but cannot find out which one, and said it will cost a fair bit to replace all of them. And that might not even solve the problem. Might be worth finding out how much it would be to have them all replaced.

I don't really have a clue on anything mechanical about cars so I try and rely on my mechanic (I know I prob shouldn't but I have no choice really)

How can he not tell which one it is lol ? RAC tested mine at the roadside by lifting them out and listening to the engine, then replaced it there and then at chester services !

I daresay if you had posted on here asking before you went to renault mate people would have steered you in the right direction and possibly saved you £200 ! :(

Clio Dynamique
How can he not tell which one it is lol ? RAC tested mine at the roadside by lifting them out and listening to the engine, then replaced it there and then at chester services !

Sounds a bit daft I know, but I wouldn't have a clue so I can't really criticise. He did run it on the diagnostic but that didn't really help. Probably best trying somewhere else.

Clio Dynamique
Renault quoted £180 for a new coil pack fitted. But at least I suppose they would know which one needs replacing, rather than having them all done.

Titanium 182
EH ?! I thought they were pencil coils (4 of them) and they were about £50 each tops ?! :S

I'm 100% sure that's what mine were, although they were covered under warranty at the time.

Edit: Ok the coils on the 1.2 are different to the ones my 1.4 had but still !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-..._CarParts_SM?hash=item3ef43f1d08#ht_500wt_956

If I was you mate I'd buy those and get your local garage to fit them. Unless you fancy giving it a go yourself ? just disconnect the battery first, it can't be that hard.

Clio Dynamique
EH ?! I thought they were pencil coils (4 of them) and they were about £50 each tops ?! :S

I'm 100% sure that's what mine were, although they were covered under warranty at the time.

Edit: Ok the coils on the 1.2 are different to the ones my 1.4 had but still !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-..._CarParts_SM?hash=item3ef43f1d08#ht_500wt_956

If I was you mate I'd buy those and get your local garage to fit them. Unless you fancy giving it a go yourself ? just disconnect the battery first, it can't be that hard.

I'm defo going to look into getting the coil pack replaced, i can barely change the cd player so it's probably best I don't have a go. But I'm gonna ring round on Monday and get some quotes in etc.

I feel alot more releived now, thankyou all for your help and suggestions! I new I could rely on you!

^ Yep my 1.2s is a single coil pack with the leads going from it, Could change it youself if your handy with some tools.

I let a garage do mine because back then i was clueless and i wanted the toxic fume light turned off.

I payed £90 for the coilpack, £40 for diagnostics to turn off the light and diagnose the fault and half hours labour.

Titanium 182
1.2 16v is a single coilpack, and the leads are integral to it

sounds like a loom fault to me though

Aye I figured out my mistake and linked him one on ebay ! :)

Any1 got any guides? I barley know what a coil pack looks like :s

I appreciate the help!

take off your engine cover (Just have a look it wont be hard) and it's probably around the back somewhere but I don't know on the 1.2 engines. Look at the ebay link above it will look like that so if you can find it then it can't be hard to unbolt it !

If you were closer I'd have a look for you.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Image144.gif

Hope i helped.

Titanium 182
But yeah as above follow those leads you see in the picture back and they are attached to the coil pack.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
f**k that, buy the coil and do it your self, just pull the leads off, if your there may as well do plugs, they just unscrew with a plug spanner.

Easy enough to replace a coil pack, i did it on my clio, took 10 mins.

Titanium 182
Exactly, I took my front bumper off and changed my radiator and oil level sensor then refilled and bled my coolant this weekend and I'm a 20 year old network engineer lol !

(Sorry I'm a bit proud of myself for doing that though :eek:)

Clio Dynamique
I've got nothing to lose so I will have a look 2moro. Gonna be interesting trying to remove it :s I'm no me mechanic, the most I've done is rewire the rear lights on a ph1 to ph2 cluster! But I'll av a look anyway.

Thanks again!

Titanium 182
If you want a tip take some spanners and sockets out with you ;)

You should try and change your oil next time it needs a service and your oil filter. It's a good starting point for learning a bit about cars and you can save a f**k load of money. The work I done on mine this weekend cost me about £100 in bits and 5 hours ish of my time. Renault would have happily robbed me of about £500 for it doing.

alien green rs133
also have a look on the back of the engine, there should be a little box covering the ECU, wires will be inside like a rubber bodded crap, make sure none of the wires are chaffed

Skoda Fabia vRS
id say engine loom, your local dealer will keep one, or more, on the shelf

though saying that if its been into a main dealer they would have checked that, its a known issue

bmw e36 m3
blimey 180 is cheap mine are 300 for a set of coil packs on the skyline , im lookingforward to clio ownership:) . if it aint the coilpacks mate try the airflow meter i know its a totally different car but my skyline had a simular problem and it turned out to be an afm

alien green rs133
clio's dont have an air flow meter, but they do have a MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure)

i personally thing a new coilpack should have you on your way if its how you descibed, it sounds like a coilpack anyway, obviously its a lot easier to diognose when im infront of the car, but i have replaced a few coilpacks on clio's in my few years @ renault.

hutchie

Clio MK 4
i had a similar problem except when i was driving my car would stutter and the revs would drop and cut the engine out. Very annoying and quite dangerous.

Anyway renault cleaned my throttle boddies which didnt help. then they got it on diagnostics and one of my lambda sensors came up with an error and replaced this but this still didnt fix the problem. And then they decided to reset the ecu and yup this worked. problem sorted.