ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oh dear, wrecked cup!!

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
what exactly is he selling off the car? wonder if i could have the rear bumper

MKIII 138
first one of the winter ?? someone will buy that and put it back on the road i hope at this rate there will be none left in 5yrs !!!

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
lol the cup will be more rarer than a trophy then maybe rarer than a vee

Astra coupe
...he's done that to make it legal on ebay. he'll be selling spares from it and i bet you have to email him with what you want.

Elise/VX220/R26
dododo dum dum dum another one bites the dust....:( not doing your insurance premiums much good is it. Nobodu believes me when I say 225 insurance is cheaper than 172 despite the higher insurance group, this is why!

RIP for a lovely car tho :(

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
emailed for the rear bumper, response.........."£75 good condition"
what you guys reckon?

I'm not having a dig at this thread, but I do find it amusing when we see pictures of crashed Cups followed by the usual "none left soon", "winter - no ABS" etc. etc. etc.

Its just a car like any other that got binned in an accident, probably because it was being driven beyond the limits of the conditions, or because someone else made a mistake and drove into it. It happens everyday to all types of cars come rain or shine.

cock mobile.
Roy Munson said:
I'm not having a dig at this thread, but I do find it amusing when we see pictures of crashed Cups followed by the usual "none left soon", "winter - no ABS" etc. etc. etc.

Its just a car like any other that got binned in an accident, probably because it was being driven beyond the limits of the conditions, or because someone else made a mistake and drove into it. It happens everyday to all types of cars come rain or shine.

Yep exactly.

I have to admit I have locked up a couple of times (wet and dry). But always managed to control it and stop before hitting anything!

Roy Munson said:

Quote from greenlight insurance thread.

Unfortunatley the discount does not extend to the Clio 172 Cup model due to the high number of single vehicle accidents and fault accidents we recieved over the past 2 years.

Is it the car or the owner that is the problem? Note they were offering a discount to 172/182 drivers due to low number of claims which are the same cars less ABS ESP and a bit of weight.

Last edited:

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
thats a good point ^^^, people that say the cup is like any other car it isnt, you try driving one within the limits of the road, the conditions, speed limits etc all it takes is for an emergency stop and bang its all over in seconds, it happened to me at 40mph muddy cold wet roads, guy in front kept braking for o reason then he slammed them hard needless to say i went into the back of,

read the facts about the greenlight insurance, 172/182 owners are getting reduced rates simply because they have all the safety aids to help control and avoid an accident, im sure 172/182 owners dont drive any different from cup owners except us cup owners drive even more careful during the winter months!!!

MKIII 138
lawrence said:
im sure 172/182 owners dont drive any different from cup owners except us cup owners drive even more careful during the winter months!!!

perhaps 172`s/182`s will be crashed more as the prices come down with new new model out so younger drivers can afford them with policies like greenlight offer they will be crashed just as easily in the wrong hands, sure ABS is a nice option but its more than that isnt it, its the 90kilos weight loss and relativley heavy 2.0 engine in the front with hardly and weight at the back (hence wider track on cup for stability)

wonder if you fitted 17`s you would be effected as much, 17`s slow the car down in turning and accelaration and removes some accuracy at speed with corner taking but it does imporve grip, maybe the cup should run 17`s or an even wider track with wider 16" wheels i.e 16 x 8 (they would look cool)

meggerman said:
perhaps 172`s/182`s will be crashed more as the prices come down with new new model out so younger drivers can afford them with policies like greenlight offer they will be crashed just as easily in the wrong hands, sure ABS is a nice option but its more than that isnt it, its the 90kilos weight loss and relativley heavy 2.0 engine in the front with hardly and weight at the back QUOTE]

Are 172cups cheaper to buy and insure then 172/182s therefore driven around by younger less experienced drivers? No

Why is the cup lighter at the back of the car then standard 172/182?

Is the 2.0 engine in the cup heavier then the 2.0 engine in 172/182?

A lighter car will stop quicker and handle better then a heavy car anyway

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
he says its just the rear dust cap because he knows no one will buy it, he’s just advertising that he’s breaking the car rather than listing all the individual parts as that costs money. So you have to email him if u want a part from it

Liquid yellow R26 F1
Roy Munson said:

Well said,,..

Would be nice to know how many are left tho.. would help the residuals..

Ziel Nurburgring
MarkM said:
meggerman said:
perhaps 172`s/182`s will be crashed more as the prices come down with new new model out so younger drivers can afford them with policies like greenlight offer they will be crashed just as easily in the wrong hands, sure ABS is a nice option but its more than that isnt it, its the 90kilos weight loss and relativley heavy 2.0 engine in the front with hardly and weight at the back QUOTE]

Are 172cups cheaper to buy and insure then 172/182s therefore driven around by younger less experienced drivers? No

Why is the cup lighter at the back of the car then standard 172/182? No Spare Alloy

Is the 2.0 engine in the cup heavier then the 2.0 engine in 172/182? Identical engines, the chubby 172 has an engine cover

A lighter car will stop quicker and handle better then a heavy car anyway

Liquid yellow R26 F1
I wonder what the percentage of cups are owned by the older person.. I.E.. i'm 31.. nearly 32..:(.. and on here probably classed as on old b*****d.. LOL..

But i bought the cup because it is THE focused example rather than being the full fat version.. obviously this was before various 182 variants came out.

and tbh.. i don't think i would have bought the full fat 172..

Last edited:
James Bushell said:
I wonder what the percentage of cups are owned by the older person.. I.E.. i'm 31.. nearly 32..:(.. and on here probably classed as on old b*****d.. LOL..

But i bought the cup because it is THE focused example rather than being the full fat version.. obviously this was before various 182 variants came out.

Fair play for your reasoning for buying the cup I do not have anything against the cars.

What do you think the reason is for the high number of crashes of 172 cups vs 172/182s James?

The cup is more driver focused and a better track weapon. I always think though that if it is your daily drive would you not have been better off going for a 172 FF?

Last edited:

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
its a totally different car from the standard 172, i had a little drive of zorba's before he sold and he drove mine, we both agreed the full fat has the superior breaks, it is lighter but when breaking hard the weight transfer goes to the front wheels so in theory shoulld help the car grip more but in the cup it doesnt??? the only ever car(if you can call it that) that ive driven that was a nightmare in the wet was my boss old discovery, that had no abs and being such a heavy it was so easy to lock up past cars have never been a problem with me

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
lawrence said:
it happened to me at 40mph muddy cold wet roads, guy in front kept braking for o reason then he slammed them hard needless to say i went into the back of

He kept braking for no reason and that still wasn't enough for you to give yourself enough stopping distance :S

lawrence said:
...it happened to me at 40mph muddy cold wet roads, guy in front kept braking for o reason then he slammed them hard needless to say i went into the back of

Like I said - driving outside the limits of the conditions. I'm not preaching, but that accident was entirely your own fault and had nothing to do with the car. No ABS or ESP no doubt means more Cups will get binned than vanilla 182s etc. and I dare say that ups the insurance costs, but it's not an excuse to crash the car, no matter which way you cut it (IMHO) You were driving, you crashed it - the end.

I'd say the same thing about myself if I crashed any car - ABS or no bloody ABS, so I'm not having a go.

Incidentally, not that I was there so I can only guess, but it sounds like the classic reactions of a driver who thinks the car behind is far too close and eventually got right fucked off with it. I wasnt there though...

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
MarkCup said:
He kept braking for no reason and that still wasn't enough for you to give yourself enough stopping distance :S

actually it was coz i hate drivers that do this it really confuses me, i had a journey of 7 miles and kept doing it al the way, so i did drop back but when it came to the point where he was braking coz he had too i didnt have enough time to react simply because i wasnt paying full attention(and ill admit that)!!! not driving to close! same goes for cars with no tail/brake lights ill hang back as far as i can

performing an emergency stop at 40mph is no mean feat especially when the road has industrial estates all around with cement lorries, skip lorries, JCB diggers, tractors using it all day long dropping all their load over the road 365 days of the year

ive never caused an accident in all my 6 years of driving apart from that one incident, it happens to the best of us and the worst of us, but it does happen!!! nobody is a driving god, maybe a track god yeah, but not on public roads where you have all sorts of characters, hazards, elements etc to take in

Last edited:
LOL this is pure comedy. What did we ever do before ABS when conditions were poor? Insurance costs must have been mental what with all these people slamming into the car infront, which incidentally still happens all the time, all day ever day, in cars equipped with ABS.