ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oh dear, wrecked cup!!

Roy Munson said:
Like I said - driving outside the limits of the conditions. I'm not preaching, but that accident was entirely your own fault and had nothing to do with the car. No ABS or ESP no doubt means more Cups will get binned than vanilla 182s etc. and I dare say that ups the insurance costs, but it's not an excuse to crash the car, no matter which way you cut it (IMHO) You were driving, you crashed it - the end.

I'd say the same thing about myself if I crashed any car - ABS or no bloody ABS, so I'm not having a go.

I agree, surprisingly;)

Apart from passing judgement on Lawrences crash.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
Roy Munson said:
Incidentally, not that I was there so I can only guess, but it sounds like the classic reactions of a driver who thinks the car behind is far too close and eventually got right f**ked off with it. I wasnt there though...

er no...................

coz i dont tailgate!!! i ask anyone to drive down that road from my workplace(tottenham) to enfield, the whole 7 mile stretch is full of dodgy drivers, yeah the incident was totally my ive never denied it but with the help of ABS it could have been avoided, what do i do? swerve into a concrete wall and end up on railway tracks, go into oncoming traffic or pump the breaks hope i lose enough speed and hit the guy infront

also to add in my old daewoo nexia(dont laugh) ive driven down the same road doing 60mph slammed on the breaks, literlly stood on them, to see what reaction i would get, lo and behold stopped reasonably quick no luck up, nothing and it wasnt even and emergency stop to avoid something, did the same with my cup when i first bought it and slid all over the place, that tells me something, maybe not you guys bit it does with me

Last edited:
I'm not arguing Lawrence, I agree that ABS might have helped you avoid an accident that was otherwise already going to happen because you mis-read the road ahead. It's not an attack, just a simple truth.

My original 'objection' was a general one, aimed at nobody in particular - regarding Cups seemingly crashing themselves because of some intrinsic fault with the vehicle.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
Roy Munson said:
I'm not arguing Lawrence, I agree that ABS might have helped you avoid an accident that was otherwise already going to happen because you mis-read the road ahead. It's not an attack, just a simple truth.

My original 'objection' was a general one, aimed at nobody in particular - regarding Cups seemingly crashing themselves because of some intrinsic fault with the vehicle.

i know what you mean roy im not arguing simply trying to make a point for others to read and hopefully learn from my mistake, cars dont crash themselves the person behind the wheel does, defo agree i mis-read the road, its like when people say it happens in a split second, the moment leading up to it went so fast, point of impact was like being on the slow mo button and the after affects happened so quickly too

MKIII 138
i find that when braking in the cup im always concious of the direction the wheels are facing, so a corner will be engine braked into then with wheels straight a slight but firm dab on the breaks, let off the breaks with the lower gear engaged and keep a small but steady ammount of power as im going around the corner, dunno if that helps.

btw on your 7mile trip with what sound to be the most horendous roads ever its not suprising a small car with dry biased performance orientated tyres couldnt stop in time, my old 172 locked up with abs and by the time it unlocked itself id stopped anyways

there challenging cars and that gives them more kudo`s than other models imo, there`s somethign a bit rawcous and mental about them that only a clio v6`er would understand

MKIII 138
i think the word is "Special" like a special child who rams pencils up the nose of his fellow students and needs a special tutor

VaVa
There were far less Cups produced than 172's and far more 182's than any other RS variant.

It can't be a coincidence that the vehicle with the highest number of single vehicle accidents against it is the car with the fewest 'driver aids' and the highest pwr/weight ratio.

It adds a little something to the Cups appeal imho... gives it a bit of an edge.

Bottom line is if drive like a t**t your going to get bit, whether it's full fat, half fat, low fat whatever. But surely the talentless drivers amongst us can't all have bought Cups ;-)

Liquid yellow R26 F1
Lets face it anyone can have an accident.. Obviously driver aids will help in certain unforseen circumstances.. and maybe because the cup is a cheap affordable car, that factor in itself enables the younger person to go and buy one..

Not that i'm suggesting young drivers are no good.. As i grew up learning to drive properly in 205 1.9's.. which were far more tail happy than the cup will ever be, althought the cup is far more snappy when you get a big slide on, especially in the dry.. But it is controlable if you know what you're doing.. and if you haven't gone through the learning curve first.. then the odds are stacked against you..

I personally am far safer now than i used to be in my old 1.9.. as i used to be a mental looking back.. as my aim in life seemed to get it as sideways as possible.. LOL.

Liquid yellow R26 F1
LOL.. I was waiting from a comment from someone.. :)

TBH.. i enjoy driving my cup in the winter.. makes it far more fun and interesting..

MKIII 138
James Bushell said:
LOL.. I was waiting from a comment from someone.. :)

TBH.. i enjoy driving my cup in the winter.. makes it far more fun and interesting..

true, i have long journey home from work each day and im constantly having to adapt my driving to the road surfaces, it is a informative but frenetic car in the wet. it not bad at all going through standing water in straights line, its changing lanes or running over puddles when the wheels are turned or you are changing lanes it tells you exactly how much grip you have and for a split second the car wibbles a bit and the answer is usually none, problem is if your cornering through standing water using the front end grip the car is usually on the edge but ok thing is as you go around the corner and the front is pointing forward for some reason the back is still sideways lol.

must say the back end is progressive in all cliosports, did a handbreak turn on some gravel recently at low speed locked back wheels and turned smoothly with palm of hand and the back just smothly turned in and i was straight !

Liquid yellow R26 F1
IMHO I don't really think that tugging the handbrake on gravel, is a good example of a progresive back end.. LOL..

All i'm saying is i like it when the car moves around, using different slip angles whether it be the front or the rear.. after all the true defenition of handling is how a car reacts after it has lost traction/grip..

VaVa
James Bushell said:
IMHO I don't really think that tugging the handbrake on gravel, is a good example of a progresive back end.. LOL..

All i'm saying is i like it when the car moves around, using different slip angles whether it be the front or the rear.. after all the true defenition of handling is how a car reacts after it has lost traction/grip..

Agreed.

On a side note, I find the handbrake on my 172 is pretty f**king poor tbh. When your f**king about and try and spin the back end rally style ( :eek: ), it just sort of slows the car down lol.