ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oh no cambelt gone?

ST TDCI
Hi all,

Well I 'think' my cambelt went this morning.

Just left home literally 500 yards from home changed down into second and there was a splutter/ cough possibly a bang (window down and tunes on so not sure) total loss of power all dash lights on and then coasted to the side of the road. Tried restarting it but just turned over really quick and did not try to fire up. opened the bonnet could not see anything obvious, Aux belt still intact but looking a bit shabby (big long thread of material coming of it).

Rang a mate and towed it to a local garage and now just waiting for the verdict - but it does'nt seem good!

So if it is the cambelt i suppose its written the car off!

51 plate Ph2 Monaco - 88k pretty good nick but not mint. I need to check paperwork but cambelt was done 2.5 years ago at approx 72k - i think aux kit done as well but will check. Only problem is it was done in Essex by previous owner.

So can anyone give me a crumb of comfort and suggest it was something else?

Cheers Dave( who could be scanning the for sale section v.soon!)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Sounds like a bit of the aux belt has taken the cam belt out.
With the engine turning over fast means the valves have bent giving no compression.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Does it just whine when you turn the key, no engine movement? if you open oil filler and get someone to turn it do the cams turn?

53 Clio's & counting
Does it just whine when you turn the key, no engine movement? if you open oil filler and get someone to turn it do the cams turn?

if the belt has slipped and not broken it will have bent valves (ie no compression) but the cams will still turn mate, so not a fool proof way of checking

Fiesta ST2 MP215
if the belt has slipped and not broken it will have bent valves (ie no compression) but the cams will still turn mate, so not a fool proof way of checking

Oh right, I just ask that as I've only had one shred completely and had no movement at all, thought that was the norm when they go.

Look like Camcover off mate, and check.

ST TDCI
You can't take the cam cover off on these without removing the belt.

If you want me to have a look over it and give an estimate your welcome to.

Hi Dan - yes probably would like you to have a look, problem will be getting car to street. Will see what the garage have to say then will come back to you.

Cheers

​Dave.

ST TDCI
Hi Dan, the garage has just confirmed its the cambelt - if you can give me an idea on costs to fix that would be great. Ballpark figure?

​Cheers Dave.