ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oi You, Are You B----y Deaf Or Something ???

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I would like to share this with you in the hope that at least one person who reads it will benefit by doing so.

We have all heard of people both in the public eye and not, who have had problems with drink and drugs. Rehab seems to be the catchy word for the process of helping them overcome these problems, and provided they stay clean, recover.

As any medico will tell you, the body has a great ability to recover and repair itself given the chance, and provided of course the damage is not terminal.

With drink / drugs that may be the case. Your liver for example can regenerate quite quickly given a break from tipping alcohol into it.
However your hearing is one of the bodies failures when it comes to self repair.

Hearing damage is accumulative, progressive and non-reversible.

So what has this got to do with owning a car and frequenting this board ?

Well, in many cases, not a lot. But for those who like loud music in your cars,
everything.

Sound pressure levels in cars are often in excess of those the HSE would allow you to work in, and certainly are capable of producing hearing loss and tinnitus.
The current SPL cars are producing 165 db. That’s louder than a shuttle launch. The measurement of sound, “ decibel “ is not fully appreciated by some. 3db is an effective doubling of the level, so 100 db is ‘kin loud, 103 db is twice as loud and 106 db is twice as loud as 103 and so on.
So if the limit in the workplace is 70 db without ear defenders, what the hell are you doing to your hearing in a car with even a modest 100 db sound system or a club with 130+ db pumping away.

At 20ish years old this may not seem to you to present itself as a problem, slight headaches are commonly a result of over indulgence and may fade after a few hours the following day. What you wont be so aware of is degradation of your hearing after sustained exposure to loud music, and that slight hissing or ringing tone in your head (Tinnitus).

How many people do you know (be honest) have an automatic response such as “what” or “pardon” when you say something to them, or simply don’t hear you at all?

This may seem like a bit of a stupid example, but those people are already well on the way to being deaf, and remember unlike the liver example, its non-reversible.

I mention this partly because I worked in the car audio industry for 15 years and I know lots of people from that time who now suffer with hearing loss.
I was laughed at when I told them at the time to take it easy and keep the levels reasonable and also took the precaution of getting signed disclaimers before handing cars back to customers. (Something I learn in America, land of the Ferrari owning Lawyer) and partly, I was reminded by Sir Stirling Moss who has recently had to succumb to having hearing aids fitted due to the many years he has spent in racing cars without wearing earplugs like the modern racing drivers.

You have been warned, I said YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Sound advice ;)

Na defo something to be aware of, think Ive probably already damaged my hearing but hopefully it wont get too much worse

Cupra K1 & Clio 200
yep, totally true. since i got rid of the clio im back to standard audio stuff and i dont think i will be getting any ice in the ibiza, mainly due to weight issues. i must say that in my youger days i did have the music on loud, prob why i cant hear the gf now and then :S

RB 200 Cup!
good advice - i do have quite loudish music on when im driving but as i hardly use my car i dont think im damaging myself but will prob turn it down now!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I would like to share this with you in the hope that at least one person who reads it will benefit by doing so.

We have all heard of people both in the public eye and not, who have had problems with drink and drugs. Rehab seems to be the catchy word for the process of helping them overcome these problems, and provided they stay clean, recover.

As any medico will tell you, the body has a great ability to recover and repair itself given the chance, and provided of course the damage is not terminal.

With drink / drugs that may be the case. Your liver for example can regenerate quite quickly given a break from tipping alcohol into it.
However your hearing is one of the bodies failures when it comes to self repair.

Hearing damage is accumulative, progressive and non-reversible.

So what has this got to do with owning a car and frequenting this board ?

Well, in many cases, not a lot. But for those who like loud music in your cars,
everything.

Sound pressure levels in cars are often in excess of those the HSE would allow you to work in, and certainly are capable of producing hearing loss and tinnitus.
The current SPL cars are producing 165 db. That’s louder than a shuttle launch. The measurement of sound, “ decibel “ is not fully appreciated by some. 3db is an effective doubling of the level, so 100 db is ‘kin loud, 103 db is twice as loud and 106 db is twice as loud as 103 and so on.
So if the limit in the workplace is 70 db without ear defenders, what the hell are you doing to your hearing in a car with even a modest 100 db sound system or a club with 130+ db pumping away.

At 20ish years old this may not seem to you to present itself as a problem, slight headaches are commonly a result of over indulgence and may fade after a few hours the following day. What you wont be so aware of is degradation of your hearing after sustained exposure to loud music, and that slight hissing or ringing tone in your head (Tinnitus).

How many people do you know (be honest) have an automatic response such as “what” or “pardon” when you say something to them, or simply don’t hear you at all?

This may seem like a bit of a stupid example, but those people are already well on the way to being deaf, and remember unlike the liver example, its non-reversible.

I mention this partly because I worked in the car audio industry for 15 years and I know lots of people from that time who now suffer with hearing loss.
I was laughed at when I told them at the time to take it easy and keep the levels reasonable and also took the precaution of getting signed disclaimers before handing cars back to customers. (Something I learn in America, land of the Ferrari owning Lawyer) and partly, I was reminded by Sir Stirling Moss who has recently had to succumb to having hearing aids fitted due to the many years he has spent in racing cars without wearing earplugs like the modern racing drivers.

You have been warned, I said YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Pardon, Can you say it a bit louder, oh wait, I guess the damage is done!

Thats why i hate going to night clubs, but my mates always drag me into them.

What db level do most clubs have their music on at- where you have to shout to speak to your mate. Its just that i dont know how to convert night club volume into decibells?

Also is it the base notes that cause most hearing damage or the higher pitched notes?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Thats why i hate going to night clubs, but my mates always drag me into them.

What db level do most clubs have their music on at- where you have to shout to speak to your mate. Its just that i dont know how to convert night club volume into decibells?

Also is it the base notes that cause most hearing damage or the higher pitched notes?

I dont know if there is a legal limit in clubs and cinemas, I think there must be, but its like speed limits, its only bad if you get caught.

Its not just the low frequency that causes damage, its all noise at high levels.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I found this on the HSE website, what a laugh, when were you last told this when you entered a club ??

HSE's Event Safety Guide states that:

the sound level in the audience area for the duration of the performance should not exceed an average of 107 dB(A)
where practicable, the audience should not be allowed within 3 metres of any speaker, for example by the use of approved safety barriers and dedicated stewards
if the sound level is likely to exceed 96 dB(A) it recommends that it is good practice to warn audiences about the risk to hearing in advance publicity, for example in programme advertising, notices at entry points or on tickets.

The other thing I found was a report by the University of Salford commisioned by .......wait for it.................DEFRA......:lolup:

Last edited:
  Mercedes SLK350
Preserving your hearing is a very serious matter indeed. As already stated, once damaged your hearing WILL NOT self repair.

Having worked in a very noisy toolroom and having worked on the door in night clubs and bars for many years, my hearing is now quite seriously damaged. I also have tinnitus, a constant white noise 24/7, which cannot be turned off.

So now I have my music and T.V. on at a louder volume than most, so not only I suffer with poor hearing, but everyone around me suffers.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I stole a shed load of ear plugs from work recently.

It's actually pretty cool in the Clio. Makes it seem £5k more expensive :rasp: No wind or road noise, and turn the speakers up a few notches and that's all you can hear.

Secondly, although yes you get permanent damage through consistant exposure to loud sounds. I think to start with you just get used to loud sounds, sometimes I say pardon and what, even when I heard the person in the first place.... Not sure what's going on there though....

Still, if you wear ear plugs for an hour (I think that's the longest you're meant to wear them anyway), you take them out, and suddenly your hearing is very sensitive. Again, not a scientist in anyway shape or form.

Ear plugs are fun:star: :D