ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil change - low oil pressure

just changed the plugs and oil on me valver. car is running fine but ive noticed that the oil pressure has now dropped when up to running temps. also running a bit hotter.

ive changed the silkolene 15w50 for halfords fully synth 5w40. would this be the reason why?? oil pressure at idle is now around 1/3bar where before it was just under 1, and the revving pressure seems down also. this be ok you reckon??

all oils have different thermal characteristics. Their SAE rating is based on several tests and their viscosity rating is based on these tests.

Going form a 50 to a 40 means your oil is thinner at the same operating temp, this will account for your lower oil pressure. And depending on the oils thermal capacity and ability to remove heat from components will alter engine and oil temps.

Mobil 1 15w50 has a good viscosity until you reach the higher temps like 110-120 where its thermal load is too much and it looses alot of viscosity, a poor VI. So i dont use it anymore, high cost and poor performance.

For a good and easily available oil, just pop along to your ren dealer and pickup some Elf COmpetition 10w40 semi synth, its got great thermal characteristics and holds up well on track and motorway. If thats too thin, try a 5w50 or 15w50..........and if you really got the cash, Torco MPZ oil from the states is fantastic.

dunno where you are and all i can suggest is searching the web for a mail order company.

It dropped my full bore oil temps by about 15C over MObil 1 motorsport crud.

Skoda Fabia vRS

nah MotorWorld dont sell it mate

if you can wait a few days i might be orderin a bulk lot of it soon...

pm me to remind me tho as i do tend to forget stuff

agh well. ill leave it for a bit. see how i get on. it is good for cold starts so at least thats a bonus. got to wait for the skin on my arms to grow back before i can change it again ;)

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by joe_no12 on 11 December 2003

lol, they not do any bigger bottles than 1 litre?
yea i think they do but all they had in stock at the time was a pack of 18 x 1L bottles so thats what i bought