ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Change now I'm the owner of a Subaru!?Help

FF 182
This is quite long but I hope the detail will aid towards a successful diagnosis.

I'll explain how this came about,

I changed the oil this morning in my 182 as it has done 6k since i last did it. I changed it with the same oil i used last time which is 5w40 Fully Synthetic Motul, did the oil filter and sump plug as you would. I did however have a bit of a wrestle with the oil filter whilst using my budget chain removal tool from Halfords but I had the same issue last time and i knew persistence was the winner!

Whilst I was in bonnet I was wondering if i could find the gear box oil filler as I've never done it and my cars done 76k (bought it at 57K) and was thinking i could put it on the 'job list' so i took the airbox off and found the little pipe where i presume you fill from here but how do you check the level?

Anyway i'm digressing I put it all back together and fuel rail guard back on, so the job was DONE. I did what i thought was appropriate at the time of noon and went for lunch. I Came back from lunch and started the car only for it to sound very lumpy and sounding what i initially thought was a subaru flat 4. My dad could here it from inside and came out he reckoned it was firing on only three cylinders, I agreed. I noticed that the EML light was on solid then when i gave it a few revs it started flashing. I have a OBDII fault code reader Bluetooth thing for my phone app (Torque) so i got that going and it told me these codes:

PO130 - Powertrain. O2 sensor Circuit. Bank 1 Sensor 1
PO202 - Powertrain - Injector Circuit - Cylinder 2

So with this extra knowledge we were confident it was misfiring on Cylinder 2. I went about taking off the fuel rail guard and the air box and plastic bend so have a good inspection off everything in the area i was working in and gave all the sensors a good checking making sure they were in the connectors and wires were connected. All looked fine. To diagnose which cylinder was actually number two I disconnected each fuel rail sensor (unsure of official title) in turn to see which didn't have any affect on the original misfiring noise. Our conclusions were that cylinder 2 was the second from the right when looking at the car from the front.
Armed with this knowledge we inspected the number 2 HT lead connection with the coil pack all looked fine. We started the car a few times still sounding bad, we took off lead 2 and started it which made no difference and then whilst running moved the lead over its connection resulting in a spark so we were confident it wasn't the coil pack
So, off came the inlet to check the plugs. We checked the continuity of the HT lead whilst it was off all was fine. Out came the plugs from 2 and then 1, both looked fine but just to eliminate it we swapped them over. Put it all back together, all the connectors and sensors checked again and started it which made absolutely no difference.

I can't think of anything else that i can do apart from search on here which i have, and have found results of a dodgy lambda sensor pre-cat, I havn't checked this but i'm not sure how that could make a misfire on one cylinder and also how it could have happened so coincidently after i had changed the oil.

I will add that when i was finishing up putting the sump guard back on which was my last job before i went for lunch I had left the bonnet open and it started raining a small amount so i did wonder if some water had maybe caused an issue but, it was only for 5 minutes.

I would be grateful for any help any one could give me with this issue otherwise its off to see RSTuning or RS Murray in Leeds next week.

Thanks
Michael
[/B][/B]

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't fully read the above fully but im sure you never mentioned checking the injector connections? Am I right? If you have not checked this then go and do so!

Megane dci 130
You will have broken one of the injectors when doing the oil filter. ( I have done this myself) Check very carefully number 2 injector where the electrical connector meets. If you flex it slightly it will have broken.

There about £50 iirc.

FF 182
You will have broken one of the injectors when doing the oil filter. ( I have done this myself) Check very carefully number 2 injector where the electrical connector meets. If you flex it slightly it will have broken.

There about £50 iirc.

Cheers, i diagnosed a faulty injector yesterday by swapping it with another cylinder so I've picked one up today from renault, cost me £73 will be fitting it later.

Evo 8 MR
Next time leave the fuel rail guard on.

I've made an equally silly mistake with the map sensor so I know how easily it's done.

I had this EXACT same problem a few weeks ago! I even posted and put something like "i know this is ridiculous but it sounds like a subaru engine" and my emissions light was flasing. The cure turned out to be a spark plug that was moist from the idiots at the bodyshop jetwashing my engine bay before returning my car after some insurance work.