ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Cooler

Trophy Turbo :)
Right boys,

Fitted a k tech Mocal Coller kit to my 172 High Compressioned Engine.

And a temp gauge, we went for a non thermostatical plate due too being told that was a better option.

Were getting a roading of 40degrees when driving, when its stood still goes to 80degs, as soon as i start moving drops to 40, I covered the cooler over and it still reads 40.... any suggestions surly even 40 is far too cold, its opnly a 10 row cooler its tiny!

Andy

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
don't know if this is relevant?

i was told by a mocal supplier that putting an oil temp gauge in any sort of 'external' T piece would not give a fully accurate reading, he even said putting it directly into the pressure switch location wasn't great and said ideally it wants to have a flow of oil over it, so either using a sandwich plate or putting it in one of the oil cooler pipes was better

either way it sounds like a dodgy sensor or wiring (i am having trouble with my gauges aswell :( )

Trophy Turbo :)
i cant get a sanwich plate as the mocal cooler uses a sandwich plate... ill get the pipe adapted if i need too ;)now which is flow and which is return ;)

Fitted an oil cooler to my rally car and it did two things:

1. Unless you drove it absolutely flat out everywhere it over cooled the engine.

2. The oil pressure dropped

So i took it off

ITB'd MK1
1. you need a thermostatic plate or you'll never get the oil up to temperature, end of story.
2. oil temp needs to be measured in the sump to have any real worth

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
Fitted an oil cooler to my rally car and it did two things:

1. Unless you drove it absolutely flat out everywhere it over cooled the engine.

2. The oil pressure dropped

So i took it off

oil pressure drop would be due to using too small bore hoses, meaning the pressure relief valve in the pump opened earlier, ie high pressure in the lines, but not in the engine

Mk2 172
Right boys,

Fitted a k tech Mocal Coller kit to my 172 High Compressioned Engine.

And a temp gauge, we went for a non thermostatical plate due too being told that was a better option.

Were getting a roading of 40degrees when driving, when its stood still goes to 80degs, as soon as i start moving drops to 40, I covered the cooler over and it still reads 40.... any suggestions surly even 40 is far too cold, its opnly a 10 row cooler its tiny!

Andy

non thermostatic! Someones been lieing to you especially if ur using it on the road.

ITB'd MK1
why lol?

Think about it, a small bore hose is a restriction, that causes high pressure in the hose. The relief valve will see the higher pressure in the line first as it's right after the pump, so it will open up. That in turn means the pressure wont be maintained in the engine, and at the point of measurement (gauge sender). 1/2 inch line is the smallest you should ever use, seen people run 3/8 inch and ooooh look low oil pressure

Nothing wrong with a non-thermostatically controlled oil cooler on a race / rally car. They are fine if you drive hard.

If you arnt, why the hell do you need an oil cooler? Carrying around all that dead weight for the one or two track days you do a year seems a bit of overkill.

Mk2 172
Nothing wrong with a non-thermostatically controlled oil cooler on a race / rally car. They are fine if you drive hard.

If you arnt, why the hell do you need an oil cooler? Carrying around all that dead weight for the one or two track days you do a year seems a bit of overkill.

Yeah but if u go to the nurburgring and do 30+ laps once a year its better to be safe than sorry!!! So i disagree with wot u say there.

You dont have to drive every lap contimuously you know, you can stop and let the oil cool down.

And on a track day you should be doing a slow lap before you come in anyway to cool the engine down, just as you should be doing a warm up lap then checking the tyre pressures.

TVR Cerbera
You dont have to drive every lap contimuously you know, you can stop and let the oil cool down.

And on a track day you should be doing a slow lap before you come in anyway to cool the engine down, just as you should be doing a warm up lap then checking the tyre pressures.

How slow do you drive on a trackday? I can get my cooler hot enough not to touch, 1 lap after warm-up! Also do you happen to know the spec of the engine you are commenting on? believe me, it needs an oil cooler.

What sort of actual oil temperatures are we talking here? Modern synthetics are very good and can resist higher temps than you might think

TVR Cerbera
What sort of actual oil temperatures are we talking here? Modern synthetics are very good and can resist higher temps than you might think
Whiteley seized a F7P with no oil cooler at a trackday, using silkolene expensive stuff, so about 140 -160 without cooler, 80 - 100 with iirc

ValverInBits

I Don't

If the car is road legal, then your still gonna drive it home. Cold oil mileage FTL.

Whiteley seized a F7P with no oil cooler at a trackday, using silkolene expensive stuff, so about 140 -160 without cooler, 80 - 100 with iirc

Because it didnt have an oil cooler and seized in no proof that it was an oil cooling issue. There are plenty of mk1swith no oil coller with non-siezed engines.

Is that just a guess or was that recorded temps from a gauge, sounds like a guess to me. The top quality silkolene will resist death until about 150c IIRC

TVR Cerbera
Is that just a guess or was that recorded temps from a gauge, sounds like a guess to me. The top quality silkolene will resist death until about 150c IIRC

I don't know, i wasn't driving, but it was def the oil that thinned and the engine seized

Mk2 172
An oil cooler is a good idea if ur doing lots of trackdays, end of! Like i said, better to be safe than sorry. Its not going to do any harm providing on a road car ur using a thermostatic one

182 trackday racer
I measure temp in the sump, before i installed a oilcooler it got to 140 degrees within 10min on track. This was on a spring track day so it was not hot outside.

Now I run a K-tec oilcooler kit but updated with a 13row Mocal cooler and it keeps steady at 100-110 degrees on track no mater how long I run.

Goes up to about 90 when driving on the road. And yes I do have a thermostate plate, IMO anything else would be madness running on the road. Cold days I do cover the cooler anyway since some oil always runs through even with a closed thermostate.

TVR Cerbera
I measure temp in the sump, before i installed a oilcooler it got to 140 degrees within 10min on track. This was on a spring track day so it was not hot outside.

Now I run a K-tec oilcooler kit but updated with a 13row Mocal cooler and it keeps steady at 100-110 degrees on track no mater how long I run.

Goes up to about 90 when driving on the road. And yes I do have a thermostate plate, IMO anything else would be madness running on the road. Cold days I do cover the cooler anyway since some oil always runs through even with a closed thermostate.

How have you got your oil temp in the sump? pics?

lol, they look the same as a normal sump plug and are no lower, but just have an electrical connector coming off, the workings are on the inside