ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Leak for the 100th time

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Basically any part of my car that has oil in it also has a leak, but I found a new one and its a bit more of a worry than normal.

Its leaking from the rocker cover I think, pretty standard, but from the back of the engine. It is then running down onto the manifold and then dripping onto the drip tray/splash guard.

The leak is approx in line with the oil filler cap.

It seems to be a reasonable amount, it worries me cos of the manifold being involved, i don't want a fire.

Do you think its worth checking the rocker cover is torqued up correctly? If so what torque setting do i need, i have searched but cant find it to check?

Any help or info would be great.

Cheers,
Will

Lionel Richie
you will have a leaking bolt, have a look, if one is surrounded in oil (really obvious) take it out, whop silicone down the hole and wang it back it (14nm IIRC)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
yer 14nm for rocker bolts (10mm) did a box today which had a nice leak which had gone all over the cambelt aswel.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thanks guys, any particular silicon sealant? I'm guessing it has to cope with high temps?

Can't see a fire occurring because of it to be honest.

I've just fixed an oil leak on mine. Due to the leak, oil was dripping all over the manifold, all I got was smoke from around that area where it was burning the oil and a burning oil smell inside the car.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
petrol won't ignite on a exhaust manifold, so i reckon oil will be ok.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Can't see a fire occurring because of it to be honest.

I've just fixed an oil leak on mine. Due to the leak, oil was dripping all over the manifold, all I got was smoke from around that area where it was burning the oil and a burning oil smell inside the car.

I sometimes get a slight burning smell, bit nervous about doing this in case i get it wrong and end up putting silicone in the wrong place/hole

petrol won't ignite on a exhaust manifold, so i reckon oil will be ok.

Yeah, with petrol you need a spark, it will just evaporate the very quickly with the heat I guess, i just wasn't sure about oil? I remember seeing that video of the k-tec ph1 clio (i think) on youtube, that set on fire briefly cos of oil!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thanks for the help so far guys, had a look today and I am still unsure to be honest, so I have taken some pictures to see what you guys think.

Photo019.jpg

^^ This is where I think the main leak is coming from, would you say this bolt is the one that is leaking?

Photo020.jpg

There is some oil here as well but I am thinking this may have just been spilt from when changing the oil?

Photo023.jpg

Okay this is a picture from the back of the enine bay looking towards the engine, sorry it aint great but its an difficult place to get to, but as you can see there is a fair bit of oil. Tryong to give you some idea of where the picture is looking at the black arrow is pointing at the part that holds what I think is the coil pack (I may have got the wrong name for that part tho)

Photo026.jpg

Okay last pic... again back of engine, this is where i think the main leak is. (Black arrow = same as last picture) As you can see its pretty bad. What do you think?

Mk5 golf gti
Looks clean compared to mine :)

exactlly what i was going to say lol
ill see if i can get pic up of mine
im waitin for eurocarparts to get here with my service kit and some engine cleaner because mine is caped in crap but there is no leaks

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Always reassuring to here its not just mine!

Maybe i'm just paranoid then?