ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Leak :(

Clio
Okay so I have an oil leak, don't know how long its been leaking but I've noticed several patches both on my drive, in the garage and on the road outside where I sometimes park.

I'm not the most mechanically minded and if I'm honest I don't really know what type of oil it is.. It is clear on my finger when I touch the puddle on the ground which concerns me as I've read it could be the break fluid!

IMG_1937.jpg

I don't even know what this is but I've managed to take this picture and can see visible oil drips forming on it, don't know if the picture helps whatsoever but thought I'd put it on anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be and the costs I could expect to pay at a garage?

Thanks

RB Clio 182
I think its the selector seal on the gearbox mate, if it is, its a very common problem on these cars and im not even sure that anyone has a solution, @NorthloopCup will know, he's your gearbox man on hear :)

Clio
Wonderful.. I'll get it to the garage tomorrow then, could this be why the gears are stiff to get in and first gear grinds like crazy?

M2 Comp
I have a 2nd hand mint box fitted with no leaks.

Good to hear, but I'm sure you'll agree they're a rare find!

If it's a car you plan to hold onto and your budget allows, for the peace of mind, it's well worth having one rebuilt IMO (especially if you've got to pay to have it removed and refitted).

Clio
Got it to the garage on Monday turns out there's oil coming from the head gasket (which means nothing to me).

The bloke also suspects that the gearbox is leaking oil from the selector seal, as mentioned above but he reckons he can fix it without having to take the gearbox out! Will update tomorrow after it's been back to the garage.

renault clio 1.4 16v
Well there is a selector seal kit that can be changed without taking the box out but it dosnt last, best is to take the box out and do it properly, as for a headgasket... im a bit sceptic about that, there are usualy other symptoms if it blows...

Clio
Got the one job fixed today, can't remember what he said it was but it took him 4 hours because of where the inlet was so he had to take the wheel off and air con out and something else I can't remember, I'm useless with mechanics

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Mine leaks like this and I can't be arse to seal it up or do anything about it. Is that bad? I just keep it topped up.... It's free rust prevention.