ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leaking

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
My car seems to get through a fair amount of oil.

At 165k, I've no doubt the rings and valve stem seals have seen better days.

However, I can't help but notice the amount of oil around the engine bay.

I found loads on the rocker cover, particularly in the plug socket nearest the vvt solenoid. I replaced the vvt solenoid seal and that seems to have stopped the oil accumulations on the rocker cover.

I have noticed quite a lot of oil directly under the exhaust manifold. To the point where my glove is wet from it when reaching down there (found when checking starter solenoid wire).

I can't see anything down there, though.

Is there a common leak in this area?

With the exhaust manifold off, I noticed beyween the middle exhaust ports, a small round port with oil in the bottom of it - what's that?

What about the rocker cover gasket? Is this a difficult job? Do I recall reading somewhere that this can't be done without removing the cambelt or pulleys or something along those lines?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
old cars will leak oil, if its not puddling underneath or gulping a litre through the rings/stem seals every 200 miles I wouldn't worry

there is no 'cam cover' as such on the F4R, its an all in one piece that has the cam journals on it as well so yes to reseal it you have to pretty much dismantle the entire timing assembly as well

172, Tiguan
I'd agree with what's said above, at that age i'd just keep it topped up. The leak could well be from behind the pulleys, mine was doing that and the oil was running down the back of the engine.

Cup In bits
Jet wash it and monitor to begin with.

A wet exhaust manifold will be the cam cover at the rear, oil will only ever go down from its point of escape so trace up until you find the leak.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
That's the thing. Driven normally, oil lasts quite well.

I did around 250 miles around Brands on Friday and got through over a litre including the ~100 miles each way to get there and back.

I haven't noticed any blue smoke, though.

At this stage in its life, I generally consider the engine a consumable - perhaps I'll just get on with it and replace the engine with a used unit when the belts are next done. Its due in 2 years. I doubt there's much more time involved in doing belts on the deck and changing engine as opposed to doing belts on the car.

Cup In bits
Yeah exactly the difference in time will be negligible and you can paint/clean/check things properly with the engine out.

These engines do have a fairly high oil consumption supplied from factory, not Honda V-Tec high but still worth noting. I would be surprised if your engine isn't down on compression on at least no1 cyl and maybe others at that milage but they continue to run just fine.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I shall keep my eye out for an engine.

Its probably a good idea to do engine, diff, epas etc all at the same time. I guess its about time to start collecting bits.