ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil question

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
So a friend asked about topping up his oil on his car. Apparently it’s used some and the light is on, fine.

i tell him to get the exact same as what’s already there. He tells me he doesn’t know and has no way of finding out. According to the manufacturer it should be 5w30.

he goes out and buys standard 5w30 stuff. I told him to just get a full oil service done so that all the oil is the same. Am I being too picky? I was always under the impression it should be the exact same oil.
Am I just an obsessed b*****d?

car is just an older e90 320i

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
If the light is on, it's used more than 'some' surely...

May as well do an oil change as you say, for what it costs and peace of mind.
I’d agree with that although I’m predominantly I’m asking about the oil brand. I’m sure I’ve been told they don’t mix the same if they are different brands or something along those lines

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I would change it myself as could have anything in.

Usually no issues mixing semi/fully synth together regardless of brand and grade though, only have issues mixing synthetic with mineral, but f**k all modern runs mineral so wouldnt be too concerned.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I’d agree with that although I’m predominantly I’m asking about the oil brand. I’m sure I’ve been told they don’t mix the same if they are different brands or something along those lines

All manufacturers will claim their oil does this and that, but they will all meet the car makers spec one way or another.

Topping up with a different brand won't make a great deal of a difference.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I would change it myself as could have anything in.

Usually no issues mixing semi/fully synth together regardless of brand and grade though, only have issues mixing synthetic with mineral, but f**k all modern runs mineral so wouldnt be too concerned.
Cheers. Learn something new every day

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What does he mean by the oil light? Is it saying low oil level or is it the low pressure light?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Cheers. Learn something new every day
Used to be a major issue if you mixed synthetic and mineral in the early days but i believe its not too bad now, id never try it though.

My ocd says that in something decent id use same brand and grade exclusively, however if its drinking oil then anything is better than none at all for people who never maintain their cars until the light is on.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
What does he mean by the oil light? Is it saying low oil level or is it the low pressure light?

The E90 has an oil level sensor so will bong at you when it needs a top up, but yes, valid question if we're dealing with someone who thinks they have no way of finding out what oil their car takes......

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I sometimes used to mix oil on my old dCi, I was a student and would just bang a litre of everything flavour of 5w40 I had🤣

If I use 4l of oil changing the oil of a neighbour's car you better believe I was keeping that litre🤣