ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Old Brake question??

Black Gold with cup packs
Can the brake disks and pads being old and needing replacing cause them to bind? Or is binding a result of a dodgey caliper?

corrosion/gum on the discs/pads won't help, but shouldn't bind badly. the type of caliper used on the back does have a reputation for eventually giving sticky piston/handbrake mech problems, but you can attempt to free things up with suitable lubes

Is car lube 100+ suitable? I am sure one is binding as I am not achieving more than 32mpg, and 40 was easily achievable before. New pads and disks are however on the way

have you had it up in the air to spin the wheels? they should spin

it's worth taking it out and giving the brakes a hard time to see if that helps first. i'd use penetrating oil to free up the piston and clean and regrease (moly) the handbrake mech if that's also suspect

OK my front drivers side is binding, hard to spin, my front passengers side is a bit restricted as well, my two rears are fine. Could it be down to the brakes being old then? as they are in desperate need of changing, all on order but it's a bank holiday weekend :(. b****cks I hope to the almighty God it's just the brakes and not the actual calipers :(

if it's the fronts, try dismantling the sliders, cleaning and regreasing. check the pistons are OK as well (will need to draw some fluid off from the res)