ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Omex no spark

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Got my omex wired in yesterday with a full omex race loom,I am using a ford crank sensor with an omex booster box also feeding the standard crank signal.
Im getting fuel but no spark, when cranking im getting SYNC ON which indicates its picking up the cps but not getting any spark.
Ive been on the phone and ran through a load of tests with omex today which pointed towards a failed coil, but by the time I managed to get a new one to try and rule that out Omex had closed for the weekend.

Tests so far Continuity between pins A1 and A12 to pins 1 and 2 on the coil plug
12V on initial turn of the kev at pin 3 on the coil plug
Tested for a pulse between pins 1-3 , 2-3 using a LED
Start sync showing on cranking
Tooth control table checked against one I found on here posted by TDF
Missing = 2 teeth
MX Sync Test = 57 th tooth
MX Time = 50 %
MX Time Start = 30%

Ive tried 2 different start up calibrations from Omex, checked all earths and also added an extra between the head and body.

I would wait untill Monday but only have a shot of a laptop with serial port untill tomorrow.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've got no experience with Omex units but if I can help I will. What unit have you got and I'm assuming it has built in Coil drivers?

Your coil has a good, stable +12v yes?

If the unit is fuelling then it is obviously seeing engine rotation so I suspect a driver/module fault.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Can you see RPM on the laptop to indicate the crank sensor is getting a reading? (try with plugs out, it turns over quicker which helps with signal strength and also goes easier on the starter motor)

When you say you have fuel do you mean the injectors firing (if so then yes the crank sensor is working fine anyway) or do you just mean the fuel pump turning on to prime?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I'm getting fuel to the bore , pulled and cleaned all the plugs as they were wet.

I've just tried cranking it over with a led in each of the injector plugs one at a time and they all get a pulse, but by the time I got to the 4th it was very faint. What I did notice is when cranking that the voltage is dropping down to around 8v.
The car has been sitting for about a month waiting on parts ,so I have a charger on to keep the battery topped up while testing but think it may not be up to the job. Think tomorrow morning I will try it with a set of leads onto my jeep.

When I first turn the ignition on I get 12v to pin 3 on the coil plug but when cranking I'm seeing around 8v, which Guy from omex did think should be enough for a spark.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Okay, bypass it as there's a fault. Give the coil a direct +12v from the battery

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
8v is pretty poor.

Again, take the plugs out and the voltage should drop a little less and make life easier for it, can you not whack a battery out of something else or run jump leads from another car and set it on a fast idle to really hammer the charge in?

HBT 172 Cup
8v isnt great but it should at least splutter at that voltage imo if its physically cranking, problem lies elsewhere.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
That's my plans for the morning Chip pull and clean the plugs again then check for a spark while it can crank over fast, then plugs back in and hook up a set of jump leads so hopefully get a good/ stable voltage while cranking.
If still no luck I might just do the belts and cams and trailer it to Sitech to get running and map, I just would of rather of had it started on the omex before fitting the cams so it would be one less thing to fault find on.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Well after lots of head scratching ,testing and finaly a phone call to the guy I bought the ecu off of I looks like we have got a problem :banghead:, the previous owners tuner had removed the ignition amplifiers as it was running coil on plug :cry:.
He is checking to see if he has them still and posting on monday if not the ECU is going back to Omex at his cost, just means I wont have the car started before I go back to work on Thursday.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lots of vauxhalls do, I use a 1600 8v corsa coilpack on my mk1 on autronic for example.

Or you could run a couple of cossie ignition amplifiers.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Try a coilpack with built in ignition amps is other option I guess.

Or buy an external ignition amp module... Bosch make em for loads of cars especially the VW's. I believe EFI parts sell them to for around £60

Mick

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the info guys but think I will just wait and send the ecu to Omex if needed rather than chopping plugs and adapting a new loom. Ive made a start on fitting the cams and timing belt in the mean time.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a look about on the net and seen that a few people have done this on omex and ran it as wasted spark coil on plug, if I was to try this with scenic pencil coils would it just be 12 v from the coil plug pin 3 to each coil then pair cylinders 1 /4 and 2/3 to the relevant earth pins on the coil plug pins 1 and 2.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That would be my choice to Andy... Running this exact coil with my DTA S40pro for the 19

Scoff saves the day again

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I tried pencil coils today wired as shown in the omex manual for wasted spark purely because they cost £5 from the breakers 5 min from my house, unfortunately this did not work either so the ecu is going ot Omex in the morning for a health check and ot have ignition amps re installed.

1349037145.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
The guy I bought the ecu off is paying for it as when he sold me the ecu he never knew his tuner had modified it, so I really don't have a clue but from what he said its only a 5 min job to re install the amps.