ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

omg i want this!!!! new nikon body.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
new nikon d3x.... been offered it at £5,300 no chance of me getting it yet but in a few months after i have saved some more, she will be mine! the d3 was going to be my purchase for xmas but im gonna carry on saving! i think this is gonna be a leader for a long time, i mean the d3 pretty much pisses on everything else so the d3x is amazing lol! goes down to iso 50!

The D3X redefines high resolution SLR photography, whether you shoot in the studio or out on location. The 24.5 megapixel FX format CMOS sensor delivers image files with outstanding levels of detail and tonal gradation and boasts an ISO range of 100 to 1600. Its durable Kevlar/carbon fiber-composite shutter and EXPEED image processing engine enable it to shoot at up to 5 fps (7 fps in DX Crop mode). The advanced Scene Recognition System delivers superior exposures and is supported by Nikon’s widely acclaimed 51-point AF system, which offers broad coverage and individually selectable points. Selectable Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing, saving time in post-production. The high definition 3-inch LCD monitor supports two Live View modes plus an HDMI video output. Protected by a tough, environmentally-sealed magnesium alloy body.

Features

* 24.5 megapixel FX format CMOS sensor with high signal-to-noise ratio, wide dynamic range and 12-channel readout.
* ISO 100 – 1600: extendable up to 6400 (equivalent) and down to ISO 50 (equivalent).
* 5fps consecutive shooting (7fps in DX Crop mode)
* EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb tonal gradation.
* Advanced Scene Recognition System combines the camera’s metering and AF sensors for precise exposures and sharply defined images.
* Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point AF system. Individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings.
* Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing by enabling customization of image parameters before capture and offer complete control over sharpening, contrast, brightness, hue and saturation in various color modes.
* 920,000-dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide, 170-degree viewing angle.
* Live View with Autofocus enables composition of images using the LCD monitor. Two modes are supported: Handheld or Tripod.
* Two Crop Modes: DX format and 5:4 ratio. The DX crop mode can be automatically enabled when a DX lens is attached.
* Quick response: approx. 40 ms shutter-lag and 55 ms viewfinder black-out.
* Highly accurate, durable Kevlar/carbon fiber-composite shutter unit: Standard rating of 300, 000 cycles, with a maximum shutter speed of 1/8,000 sec and flash synchronization at up to 1/250 sec.
* Active D-Lighting enables superior high-contrast images by automatically applying tone compensation at the moment of capture.
* Dual CF card slots: configurable for parallel (simultaneous) or serial (consecutive) recording.
* HDMI video output interface enables connection to high-definition video systems.
* Intuitive ergonomics with optimized button placement for fast and comfortable handling.
* Durable magnesium alloy body built to withstand the rigors of the harshest of environments.
* Wireless LAN and Ethernet support via optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4.

Includes

* Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4a
* Quick Charger MH-22
* USB Cable UC-E4
* Audio Video Cable EG-D2
* Camera Strap AN-D3X
* Body Cap BF-1A
* Accessory Shoe Cover BS-2
* Eyepiece DK-17
* Battery Chamber Cover BL-4, USB Cable Clip
* Software Suite CD-ROM
* (Supplied accessories may differ by country or area)

Oil Burner
Seems like a massive expense, i doubt many people would see any advantage over one of the 'prosumer' cameras. The wireless/lan conectivity is the most significant thing for me. The ability to change the crop mode is a good solution to the problems of full frame, however i wounder what you would see in the viewfinder? surely the mirror is still full frame? Typical portrait type camera, means its not 'that fast' fps. Sure its a lovely bit of kit, but cant help but think one of the lower level full frame bodies with a nice piece of glass would produce just as good results for all of the people on this forum.

The new sony a900 has alot of these features, at less of a cost:rasp: (waits for obvious sony-hater responses;)) Leave you with a bit of money to buy some of that inferia minolta glass.

Hopefully canon will wake up and realise they are getting pissed all over by other makes and make a decent camera again:(

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
iirc when you switch crop modes the focus screen has different lines on it for the different crops... my d2x has lines for normal and high speed crop.

Few comments from D40/D60 group on flickr:

This isn't a camera for people who want a better D3, because that's not really what it's about. It's a camera for people who are on the fence between a D3 and a medium format digital camera (in which case, this price is quite reasonable), or who were thinking about switching from Canon to Nikon but were worried they wouldn't have an option with very high resolution.

It's more like D3:photojournalist Edition and D3:Studio Edition. The D3x claims better ISO 50-100 performance which was one of the D3's weak points, and it gives enough pixels that the retouches can do their work without making the image too soft.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
^^^^ love it when people compare pro kit to P&S stuff....i.e "my samsung has 12 mega-argos-pixels"

LY 182 FF CUPPED
only at the NIKON awards on tuesday.....for literally 2 mins.
Don't think the Army will get them, the D3 is the new camera of choice for us.

Must admit I would like one myself.

only at the NIKON awards on tuesday.....for literally 2 mins.
Don't think the Army will get them, the D3 is the new camera of choice for us.

Must admit I would like one myself.

This is probably a really naive question, but what do you take pics of?

Now obviously the Army deem photography a fairly important aspect.

But surely it would be better to provide the soldiers that fight, not the ones that say cheese, with better equipment?

Its always on the news about them not having the correct kit, but then they spend thousands on new bodys/lenses for you.

Next stupid question, do you have a gun, too?

From what planetx has said before, there are only a few army togs, so even if they have £20k of photography kit each that's a drop in the ocean really, considering it would cost hundreds of millions to re-equip all the infantry etc. Reading between the lines of the link posted, I'm guessing they do recon work as well, so I imagine it's money well spent.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Remember we get new bodys every few years, however we are going onto a new lease system soon.
Do i have a gun??....No - should Mr Taliban come running towards me with a belt packed with explosives I simply ask him to stop and pose!!!!

We are all very very experienced soldiers who have had an interest in Phot for a long period of time that choose to go onto being a Photographer/Defence Photo journalist.
The question posed about budget etc......remember we can be flown anywhere in the world at the drop of a hat to take a photograph (including Afghan) FOR FREE!!!!!.....and yes I mean front line.
Would your local gazette Photographer do that to take a local boy story image of little Joe Bloggs???

A javelin missile costs in excess of £50k to fire and dozens are being fired each month, to keep an Apache in the air costs millions ....so £2k on a camera is pennies.

just a last note - every image taken is stored at the imperial war museum for historical purposes.

Last edited:
Remember we get new bodys every few years, however we are going onto a new lease system soon.
Do i have a gun??....No - should Mr Taliban come running towards me with a belt packed with explosives I simply ask him to stop and pose!!!!

We are all very very experienced soldiers who have had an interest in Phot for a long period of time that choose to go onto being a Photographer/Defence Photo journalist.
The question posed about budget etc......remember we can be flown anywhere in the world at the drop of a hat to take a photograph (including Afghan) FOR FREE!!!!!.....and yes I mean front line.
Would your local gazette Photographer do that to take a local boy story image of little Joe Bloggs???

A javelin missile costs in excess of £50k to fire and dozens are being fired each month, to keep an Apache in the air costs millions ....so £2k on a camera is pennies.

just a last note - every image taken is stored at the imperial war museum for historical purposes.

lol, f**k that! Im not brave enough for any type of combat/war, let alone trying to take them on with a Nikon! lol

Yeh, I suppose it is a tiny amount when you look at it logically.

There was a thread on here that had some cracking pics in, but like Clart says, any you can show us?