ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Guide: Star Trails

Fiesta ST-3
Ok so after a few PM's on asking how I achieved my star trails, I've decided to do a noobs guide on how to achieve them.

6751632767_c024311029_b.jpg

197 Star Trail by scott.thomas21, on Flickr

Introduction

So what causes star trails? Well in essence the Earth is not in a fixed place and rotates. As the Earth moves on its axis, it moves in relation to the stars in the night sky and thus the stars appear to move their position over the period of the night. To photograph them all you need is a Camera fixed to one point without moving.

The stars appear to rotate around both the North and South poles in the sky, of which you generally only see one. Stars very near the pole are almost stationary in the sky leaving short trails, while stars closer to the equatorial plane move faster leaving much longer trails.

Star trail photos are always eye-catching, if done correctly. The major problem doing these exposures is that they can last a long time, like several hours.

Equipment

• Camera (capable of shooting in 'bulb')
  • Tripod
  • Remote shutter release/cable release
  • A lens that allows manual focus
The type of lens you choose would depend on what sort of composition you want as an end result.

Some other items you may need but are not essential
  • A good light source i.e LED torch
  • Warm Clothing
  • Anything else that may be of use against the elements
Where should I shoot?

You need to go somewhere dark. Somewhere away from any light pollution so out of town or cities to get the best results. Also avoid pointing the camera at a town on the horizon as you will get glow issues. You may also want to consider going somewhere that has foreground interest such as a Castle, rock formation, pretty much anything you would like to make the picture more 'interesting' as you can paint these with light.

The Method and Execution

There are two main methods to shooting star trails and these will be explained below.

Firstly though before punching in your camera settings, set the camera down on your tripod and try to compose the image of how you would like it to look. Then focus in the image in.

Focus

In the dark it is very difficult to get the camera to AF on a subject or the sky. But not to worry, there are other options for you.
  • If you are including foreground objects I suggest making sure that they are in focus. If you are using a wide angle lens the foreground object and the stars will probably both be in focus even at a very wide aperture. I find that it is fairly safe to just set the focus to infinity if it is a wide angle or fisheye lens right from the start.
  • Light the foreground object and then AF on it. Once the camera has focused in, switch the lens to MF straight away and leave.
Composition

Now you have the camera focused you need to sort your composition.
  • if shooting a foreground object don't forget to get as much as the sky in around the object
  • Avoid pointing your camera at direct light such as street lights and towns/cities in the distance as they will destroy the image over a long exposure.
Method 1: Star trails (Stacking)

This is the way I shoot star trails and is the most popular and the one I would recommend. Shooting much shorter exposures results in much less noise but allows you to have a wider aperture and faster ISO thus picking out more stars in the night sky. In essence you take lots of short exposed images say 20-30 seconds long and then stack them using special software to get a complete trail.

As a base to start I would say Exposure 30 seconds, apature as wide as you can go with ISO at 800. Obviously this will vary on your surroundings so its only a base guide. Once you have taken your first image, asses how it looks in relation to noise. If there is too much then knock the ISO down and close the aperture if need be until you get the right result. Then set the camera to shoot using the remote and take as many images as you would like. The more images you take, the longer the trail. Try to avoid gaps between each image starting and finishing. I'd also recommend shooting in JPEG format otherwise your going to have 100+ images in RAW format to process.

Once you have your images of the stars you need to light the foreground if you decided to use anything. I'd suggest shooting your final image in RAW as you can then adjust the temp for the one image. Use a high powered torch and simply paint the object parts you want to show.

Now you have all your images you need to stack them. The soft ware I use and highly recommend which is free is Star Stax.

The password is : enzweiler

The soft ware is easy to use. You open all your images and click the stack button. It then processes them into one image, making sure you use the foreground lite image last.

6778912083_6e62dcd56e_z.jpg

Method 2: Star Trails (Single Exposure)

This option is not often used due to the numerous amount of things that can affect the image. Simply it is one long image of 30 minutes or more. The camera records the movement of the stars as they move across the night sky. If you must shoot this way, your biggest issue is going to be noise. The other negative is that if you are out of focus, your composition is rubbish or you knock the tripod you won't find out until you finish the shot which can some times be an hour or more. You also have to shoot at a lower ISO and get fewer stars in the sky.
  • Focus and compose the shot.
  • Set the time value to “bulb”
  • Set the aperture to its widest
  • Set the ISO at 200
  • try for a 30-minute exposure with a wide aperture of 3.5 - 4.0.
  • If there is too much noise then drop the ISO to 100 and either shorten the exposure time or try a narrower aperture.
You also need to consider the longer the single shot, the longer the trail. Also the focal length needs to be considered. A longer focal length will get longer trails than that of a short one. You then limit your ability to get a good foreground and sky with a longer focal length.

5386879471_f83e7be77e_z.jpg

I hope this guide helps. Fell free to post your results and questions below :)

Scott all 3 shots are awesome! Well done! Will read and digest the guide! I prefer the stars in the last pic!

Fiesta ST-3
I should indicate the only image that is mine is number 1. The other 2 are for visual purposes haha.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Just to add to this - Star trails are a favourite of mine too.

I've had a few PMs about ST's too .. I think people worry too much about their individual images.

If you're looking to do some stacking in the middle of nowhere, or right in the middle of town - Don't worry if your shots look like this. If you saw the first one by itself, you'd probably bin it.:

6775267533_cd140135f2_z.jpg

100 of these, cooled down (I could have manually adjusted the camera's WB temp to 2500) during post-processing, stacked using StarStax and NOTHING else (I was lucky something set off the security lights :eek: ) =

6751642773_5a7203f6a2_z.jpg

Laindon Star Stacking by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Keep practising.. it's easy when you know how ;)

:evil:

Nice one Scott.

I tried this for the first time last year with encouraging results. I just need to find an area with dark enough skies near me, damn light pollution!!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Err I think you are breaking copyright by copying those pics onto here.

Really? I took them from a link from facebook, pretty public tbh but if it is deemed as copyright infringement then will a mod remove them if deemed necessary?

Clio MK2 1.2 Grande
I tried this the other night and got this
6778748613_58c40b312e_z.jpg

Birkbrow by C.Moore!, on Flickr

I noticed I had slight gaps in my trails, to avoid this turn off in camera noise reduction for long exposure shots and it should be fine!

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Nice effort mate. What tripod do you use? Looks like you have a slight movement between images
Thanks it's a Hahnel one. I thought that may have been why. My remote came today so I'll have to have a go tomorrow night with it.

What lense to you use Scott?

BMW Z4
Cant wait to try this always wanted to…as to youre 'painting of a foreground object' with a torch can you explain this a bit further how long do you have to do it for do you have to do it evenly ect?

Great guide thanks a lot.

Fiesta ST-3
Cant wait to try this always wanted to…as to youre 'painting of a foreground object' with a torch can you explain this a bit further how long do you have to do it for do you have to do it evenly ect?

Great guide thanks a lot.

To paint an image you need a torch of sorts. Paint the object on a 30sec exposure but paint it all over for about 10 secs.

Any advice on manually setting WB temperature to try and suppress the orange street-light glow for the JPEG shots from the outset? I've done a bit of Googling to try and find a temperature to start with but didn't have much luck.

White APE
Any advice on manually setting WB temperature to try and suppress the orange street-light glow for the JPEG shots from the outset? I've done a bit of Googling to try and find a temperature to start with but didn't have much luck.

I think i manually knocked these down to 2500k on the camera when taking these 2 as the light pollution was awfull

6924252979_693534eb02_b.jpg

First Trail by m'p'd, on Flickr

6929866433_42cfa8439e_b.jpg

star scape by m'p'd, on Flickr

and this is one i took last night and left the white balance on auto.

6804225750_2ccf2eccce_b.jpg

Thorpe Park by night. by m'p'd, on Flickr

The glow on the left would be the m3 and the right was the m25.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Well tried this last night, not too bad for my first attempt I think, although next time I will make sure I am not going to be in the path of the moon :(

Only taken in back garden but I will get out somewhere interesting next time, just need to remember the black frame and an interesting foreground subject!

6958267943_9d59fc4686_z.png

First trail by A_Cro, on Flickr

1.8 Civic EX
my first (massively s**t) attempt...any idea what all the extra white dots are? don't think its noise as i was on about 400 iso

jupiter & venus....

stackedImage.jpg

Last edited:
  White APE
Well tried this last night, not too bad for my first attempt I think, although next time I will make sure I am not going to be in the path of the moon :(

Only taken in back garden but I will get out somewhere interesting next time, just need to remember the black frame and an interesting foreground subject!

6958267943_9d59fc4686_z.png

First trail by A_Cro, on Flickr

The moons made an interesting effect in that. Kids looks like warp speed. I like it.

my first (massively s**t) attempt...any idea what all the extra white dots are? don't think its noise as i was on about 400 iso

jupiter & venus....

Possibly hot pixels, my attempts were littered with the things (blue and red dots). I never experienced it with any of my Nikon cameras but my Olympus (and now Canon) were susceptible to them.

Fiesta STripes
Sorry to bump quite an old thread lol.

Has anyone tried this yet? I am going to give this a go soon :)

[video=youtube_share;KkjuIoCorTE]http://youtu.be/KkjuIoCorTE[/video]