ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

On the rev limiter or not at top speed?

BMW Z4 3.0i
A lot of people on here have said that when they've done a top speed run in their cars that the revs were right up to the limit and one guy even said his gear change light was on. When I've done top speed runs in my car, it got to approx 138/139 mph on the dials but just wouldn't go any faster on the flat. The car was not on the rev limiter and was a bit off it if I remember correctly, around 5.5k? (been a while sinceI last did one)
So why does my car not go all the way up to limiter and why is the indicated speed almost the same? I'd have to have different gearing for this to be possible surely, ie long 5th gear. My car is completely standard.

Any help appreciated.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
lol.. mine used to bounce of the limiter @150...but thatwasnt standard. had no trouble getting there

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
mine pulls a lot higher than 5.5k in top mate. you just need to find a nicelong peice of motorway.

my dad has seen 140 in his standard 172 - he said there was more to go, but he bottled it :eek:

Yes- we do have access to a private runway !;)

BMW Z4 3.0i
My car's not really broken is it? I had a car that lost top speed once but that's cos the exhaust had gone.

A few of the 172 who've done top speeds runs in Germany have hit the chnage up lights and rev limiters.

Mines 187kph (116mph) in my dci as verified by the GPS clock was showing over 120mph.

I only ever took my Williams to 120 or so.

Ziel Nurburgring
I said the light was on. Keeping in mind we were travelling at this speed for a few miles and didnt lift off as soon as we realised we were near 140mph, it doesnt happen straight away.

Plus, some of the earlier cars dont have the change light anyway. I'll take a picture in a few weeks ;)

Trophy 88/500
well ive been up to 135 then ran out of road unfortunately. but theres not much roads up here to get a top speed run and where there is the cops wouldnt sit!

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
I had the shift light come on when my speedo was reading about 146 in my Ph2 172. On a runway that looked a bit like the M6...

BMW Z4 3.0i
blink172 said:
I said the light was on. Keeping in mind we were travelling at this speed for a few miles and didnt lift off as soon as we realised we were near 140mph, it doesnt happen straight away.

Plus, some of the earlier cars dont have the change light anyway. I'll take a picture in a few weeks ;)

My car has got a gear change light, it illuminates as a green gearstick on the right hand side of the dash.

I'm going to give this another go when the weather is better.

it wont hit the limiter because it's a 172 ;)

seriously though, I thought they would all do about 145ish on the clocks? Mine on standard limiter will easily hit the limiter at 140 and do 150 with the Kill Power chip.

Get a diesel box, you'll be doing 140's in 4th gear

M2 Competition
Not sure why you'd want or need to do 140 tbo.
And either way will it make a difference if you're doing 132 or 142?

If we wanted to do straightline speeds we'd be tuning skylines?

I need a longer gearbox. My box hits 4k at 100 but there more in the engine It goes to an indicated 122 or so. Longer box and I recon 130 with some help.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
I thought a 172/182 in 5th at 5.5k revs is only 100-105mph indicated? I've had 135 indicated with more to go.. My driveway is very very long!

Tyson.

I've only ever taken my clio to 110mph plenty left just take ages to get there, that was on the motorway. There is a nice dual carrigeway I have been trying to break 105mph, but just cant seem to do it, isnt long enough. Think I need to try and come off the island onto it a bit quicker :D

182 Cup Racing Blue
ERRRRRRRRRRRRRR didn't know that clios had a gear shift light!!!!! whats it do flash or something???where is it located on the dash!!! I have got a 182 cup!! cheers!

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^^ You've obviously not been driving hard enough! It's located at the bottom right hand side of where the speedometer is.. Its a little green gear stick, and it lights up before hitting the rev limiter... Try it in 1st (40mph ish) and 2nd (62 mph ish)....

Tyson.

182 Cup Racing Blue
Thats something you would find in a BMW M3 isn't it!!! loving the news about a gear change light! and your right haven't driven hard yet! getting use to it first! cheers.

BMW Z4 3.0i
Don't get too excited as IMO if it lights up then you should have changed gear already.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^ I thought it was an optimum gear change indicator, thus landing you further in the sweet spot if you change, when it tells you to change?

Tyson.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nope, it's an "Ouch this is gonna hurt" warning light, about 250rpm before the limiter which isn't necessarily the best place to shift...best shift point changes with each and every gear.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
I've done 142mph on a recent trip to france. Shortly after I was fined and had my licence taken away. Ah well.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
polarbert said:
I've done 142mph on a recent trip to france. Shortly after I was fined and had my licence taken away. Ah well.

lol nicely done. Nothing like speeding abroad. :)