ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One for all the handling experts!!

About a month ago I put on 195/50R15s to replace my std 185/55/R15s.

I dont know if its the tyres or the suspension - I have checked the rear suspension and it seems firm enough but it does creek!

Anyway to the point - I took the Williams along Loch Ness Side on the old tyres - at the end of the run coming into Inverness there is a left into a right then a sharpish downhill into a long (bumpy) straight. I flew though this and hit 110mph on the straight before slowing off to 30 as I came into Inverness.

I tried this route tonight and as the tyres have less give it was a bit more bumpy BUT on the left into right the car felt very unsettled and the rear felt like it was moving (heart stopped). Then on the straight about 85-90mph was as much as felt safe - I tried 100mph as I had done it before but the car was very unsettled and almost dangerous.

I had a similar experience when late for work - on the dual carrageway - it felt quite unsettled at high speed (90-100) where as my old Fiesta RS had travelled the same but of road at 30-40mph more with more confidence.

Now this could be down to the tyres - or is there something ion my suspension I should be looking at? Sorry for the long post and no I dont drive everywhere at 100mph;)

Ive experienced much the same thing in my Mk2 172....at anything over 110 the back is very light and at 120 it felt like it was floating!

Hmm its just the fact it hadnt happened before thats making me think something somewhere might be wrong:confused:

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Yeah it feels like the wider tyres will follow any slope or bump in the road and makes it feel more squatted whereas the 185s give the more relaxed feel if that makes sense. :confused:

I preferred 185s.

Tyre pressures are a bit out - 27/28/28.5/29 going to sort them tonight but - think as Mikey says its just the tyre size.

I also preffered 185s on the Williams, but Ive kind of got used to the 195s now and I dont want to fork out more cash for less rubber.