ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One for the racers on here...T7 race heaters

182 track, Mk7 ST
Car is currently in full strip down mode ready for a cage to be fitted next week and I'm seriously considering getting rid of the standard heater box system and just swapping it out for one of the T7 motorsport heaters you can buy. One reason is space as I'm considering a Saxo/106 PAS conversion and the other is to generally tidy it up a bit, weight isn't a major issue as I know it doesn't weigh much but every little helps and all that. I much prefer the simple and clean look for the inside while I'm at it plus the cage could prevent me having one in anyway as I'll most likely be having a dash bar fitted in front of the bulkhead and binning the standard dash support cage most likely.

Just wondering what peoples experiences are with these and how effective they are at demisting on damp cold
days, not that the car will be used on these necessarily but just incase I do happen to have a trackday turn horrible or a race if and when I get round to it.

Also does anyone have any pics of one fitted and located as I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Cheers,

Grant

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Have you considered a heated windscreen? This is the option we're looking into with our build. Cost about £150 so I've been told.

182 track, Mk7 ST
Have you considered a heated windscreen? This is the option we're looking into with our build. Cost about £150 so I've been told.

I have considered this too but I'm too sure on the reliability or hardiness of them. Maybe some people could shed some light on those too for me please :)

Regardless I'd still need something to demise the rest of the car really so need a heater/ blower unit of some kind.

I had a heated screen in my 182. It was about £200 IIRC.

It worked pretty well tbh but in the end I just put the standard heated box back in and that's what worked easiest and it isn't actually that heavy.

182 track, Mk7 ST
I had a heated screen in my 182. It was about £200 IIRC.

It worked pretty well tbh but in the end I just put the standard heated box back in and that's what worked easiest and it isn't actually that heavy.

Ahh ok, thats fair enough. Like I said my issue will be with space really and general tidiness inside the car, having had it all out like you said it doesn't weigh all that much at all, it's just awkwardly shaped and sized for fitting around a cage nicely...and in one piece for that matter I fear lol.

I've considered changing over to cup heater box setup but adding up all the costs and loom changes etc it works out to cost more and what seems like a lot more hassle, annoying really.

Did you have any heater blower in there at all when the screen was fitted or just purely the screen?

There was nothing in there at all at first, as long as the windows were down a tad then it the windows didn't mist but there was a fair bit of condensation on the roof. That sucked when you braked and it dripped on your head lol. In the end I just fitted a blower box and then had the main heater unit. It was awkward to fit round the cage so I only used it directed to the floor or the screen as the pipes that went else where wouldn't fit round the cage bars.

The standard heated box under the scuttle can be opened up and you can remove the big metal aircon rad thing so that will lighten it up a bit too.

I looked into the T7 boxes, think it was the one at £109 and planned to run a few hoses for heat but I couldn't be bothered and it was middle of winter so I just fitted the original set up.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ive got one in my mk1, its quite noise for the modest amount of air it actually moves, but its better than nothing.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats the one I have, but I have taped up two of the outlets to get more pressure out of the other two, if I bought again I would just buy one with 2 outlets in the first place TBH and use them only for the screen.

182 track, Mk7 ST
That is the same one that I was looking at. Does it keep the rest of the car demisted in general though Chip? That's my only worry tbh, I know the screen will be fine along as I direct them into the original ducting vents on the bulkhead but worried about side windows misting up.

Tweeks/ JJC sell a 2 port one that is almost identical to this one I believe.

What bulkhead fitting accessories did you buy with yours aswell? just the billet one that they sell and weld up the old matrix pipe inlet point?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mmm, seems to be about the only thing available, they do a 8.4kw one as well but its a beast at 3kg

may have to get a nosey at your at some point mate, noise isn't an issue cars loud as hell anyway, just effectiveness

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think you will struggle to keep the whole car demisted with one of these heaters TBH, but I havent really tried mine in bad enough weather to be sure.

182 track, Mk7 ST
mmm, seems to be about the only thing available, they do a 8.4kw one as well but its a beast at 3kg

may have to get a nosey at your at some point mate, noise isn't an issue cars loud as hell anyway, just effectiveness

Same, noise isn't an issue lol! The large one is way too big IMO, it seems a fair bit bigger too :/

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That is the same one that I was looking at. Does it keep the rest of the car demisted in general though Chip? That's my only worry tbh, I know the screen will be fine along as I direct them into the original ducting vents on the bulkhead but worried about side windows misting up.

Tweeks/ JJC sell a 2 port one that is almost identical to this one I believe.

What bulkhead fitting accessories did you buy with yours aswell? just the billet one that they sell and weld up the old matrix pipe inlet point?

I used their bulkhead connectors fitted in the original place on my mk1.

182 track, Mk7 ST
I think you will struggle to keep the whole car demisted with one of these heaters TBH, but I havent really tried mine in bad enough weather to be sure.

I used their bulkhead connectors fitted in the original place on my mk1.

Right ok, well hopefully I won't have to drive it in bad weather, only times could be on track if it turns nasty but as Paprika said could always crack the windows a notch to help that, i normally do anyway as have the fans off for the majority of the time anyway.

RE the connector situation, is the bulkhead connector in the Mk1 horizontal or vertical? I can't remember from when I had mine years ago! The one in the 182 is vertical so would just mean turning the heater on it side and using something to seal the gaps around the edges to the engine bay.

182cup & 172 racecar
I like to leave the heater box in, it helps with cooling the car and can look very neat if you cut it up.

It's in the build thread somewhere.

182 track, Mk7 ST
Vertical.

I went:
pipe -> connector -> pipe -> heater -> pipe -> connector -> pipe

Ok cheers for that Chip, I get what you mean there.

I like to leave the heater box in, it helps with cooling the car and can look very neat if you cut it up.

It's in the build thread somewhere.

Cheers Tony, I've just had a look through and found it, what i'm worried about is being an aircon model I'll need a new cup interior/ engine loom to run the non aircon box setup with controls, am I wrong in thinking this?

Also while I'm asking, how easy is it to remove the pedal box? Is it an engine out job?? Want to remove it for painting ideally but got a feeling I could be whipping the engine out pretty sharpish on Saturday getting it ready to go for the cage fitting on Sunday :/