ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Online Sharepoint designers

A4 Avant
We're looking to stop using our current server based Sharepoint and starting a fresh with an Online Sharepoint. We've muddled our way through designing the original and were now attempting to do the same with the new version. I can do everything I need except one item.

We basically have lots of sites containing product info. These usually consist of a document library to manage the excel/word/PDF files and a links webpart. The links webpart used to contain links back to our server using:

file://sbserver/drawings

This no longer works in the online version. I'm guessing this may be partly as our online site doesn't actually know the server exists. Is there an easy way around this?

It worked perfectly before as each site was a one stop index to everything to do with the product but it's kind of pointless us changing over if we can't get it to work.

Rav4
Please note that the online version has a few limitations, have a look online what they are.

As for the issue you are encountering is simply that it is resolving an internal URL, as you have noticed.

What you will need to do is publish that content so it's available via the web. Doesn't have to be a FQDN, can just be an IP address.

So that file://sbserver/drawings could be for instance http://87.86.74.xxx/drawings

Then your sharepoint online, would reference to http://87.86.74.xxx/drawings which is actually file://sbserver/drawings

Publlsing externally will simply be done with IIS if you want, then you will need to sort out your router/firewall rules and should be fine.

Let us know how you get on.

Hope I have understand what you are requiring, if not, apologies for incorrect reply.

G